Reasons to be cheerful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons to be cheerful!

Understandably a lot of doom and gloom on here. Even I accept we are virtually as good as down. Having had time to think it through am fairly philosophical though looking to the future.

If the board hang around the future could be very good. Tony has shown real commitment so far and I feel criticism of him and the rest of the board is harsh. Off the pitch they are planning for the long term with new training facilities and hopefully new ground as two major indicators. For them QPR is an exciting prospect. Take an ailing, small (by Premiership standards) club in London and build something memorable. Use business principles, such as branding and global appeal, and see if they can over time be used in football. It's an exciting business, personal and footballing challenge. I can see why it would appeal to people like that and it gives me some faith there is some substance behind their saying they will see it out even in the event of relegation.

Mark Hughes and 'Arry Redknapp were both top managerial appointments on paper with considerable Premiership experience and respect in the game. They have been backed to the hilt but for whatever reason it hasn't worked which has ended with us being in this position. So in my view we have the right people and commitment at board level.

Another positive is that while a number of our players have underperformed this season some of these have real resale value which could raise funds for 'Arry or whoever to build the squad into one which could challenge for promotion fairly quickly. When we were promoted very few players had significant transfer value. Off the top of my head Adel and possibly Mackie as he was linked with some clubs at the time.

May sound a bit perverse but this season has been awful and it would be nice to see us win some matches even if it means doing it a league lower. I would also hope we would have the excitement of a promotion challenge in the next year or two.

Beyond the next couple of seasons we will hopefully have a new ground to look forward to and some genuinely exciting times so whilst things may be a bit dire at the moment I'm looking at it as a blip. Hate using the word 'project' in this context but for me if the owners really are in it for the long term this season is a setback but not the end of the world.

Very good post, looking forward to the champs IF it happens....think the last six words of your post are very true, although many, sadly, think it is.

Comment

Working...
    X