New Striker signed 3 weeks ago but failed work permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Striker signed 3 weeks ago but failed work permit

Sunil had signed a three-year contract with Queen's Park Rangers few weeks back. The club since has been working to get its work permit for him to play in England.

He was informed by his agent yesterday that It was rejected by the UK government. Since India is not in the top 70 in the FIFA ranking and the British government only permits non-EU players if the player is playing for the country and the country is ranked below 70 in FIFA ranking.

Queen's Park Rangers is also partly owned by Mittal Group. The club had been following Sunil's career for over a year and they were very happy with the way he has been progressing and playing.

The club's CEO had also come to see him in Barcelona. Sunil though did not train initially in Barcelona but joined in the later stage. The amount of training and two matches he played were very impressive.

Sunil has been on the radar of a lot of scouts over the years. His performances have been outstanding for the club and the country. It was rather unfortunate that he got injured during the end of the I- league, which kept him out for a month and half. There has certainly been lot of interest in Indian players over the past few years and it was quite a set back for him to be out in the initial part of the Barcelona tour.

It would definitely have been a major step forward for Indian football had his work permit gone through. Queen's Park is a massive club and are currently playing the championship league. They are one of the favourites to win the league.

"Sunil would surely have done well in Queen's Park. He has the ability to play even in the premiership with one or two years of experience in the championship with QPR.

"It's sad that Indian team does not play enough international matches and that is a big setback for our ranking as well as our development. This is also a reason why today Sunil is not playing in England," said Indian skipper Bhaichung Bhutia.

Asked why was this contract with Queen's Park was kept under wraps, Sunil says, "I had signed with them few weeks back and I knew I still would have had to wait for a work permit. So with lots of stories about me playing in Europe and with having a bad experience with the media in the Coventry case, I was sceptical.

"I am disappointed because the work permit is something that I can't do anything about, being so close and not getting it is indeed disappointing. But it's not the end of the world. I will still continue working hard for my country and my club Dempo, who have been very supportive."

Who?

Sunil? Aint that where 'The Bill' is based.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
      Who?

Sunil? Aint that where 'The Bill' is based.

Comment

I don't think the rangers fans would have been happy with that signing if it came through and 3 years

Please.

Comment

nah glad that didnt go thru, we might not have got simpson... phew lol

Comment

Thanks god
            QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

Comment

IndianFootball.com is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

Blocked by the League, FA and PFA.

Helping to kick racism out of football.
                We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are...

Comment

coventry sent him packing when he had a trial with them, he's been playing in mickey mouse football anyway
                  Gerry Francis the greatest all round player to come from these shores:super_man:

Comment

Am I the only one who sees it has an opportunity missed? Don't care if he played as a squad player, but the India market could be massive for the club. Already we have Mittal a shareholder and this would have heightened the clubs profile even more.
                    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

ha ha ha ha... sunil??! who the hell is that??

How can they say that he will be that good to play in the premiership?! Only a few players from the championship ever make the grade to the top flight, sometimes I think they live in dream land.....
                      He's not even played competetive football in a strong league so how can they come to that conclusion that he will be red hot for QPR...

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                        Am I the only one who sees it has an opportunity missed? Don't care if he played as a squad player, but the India market could be massive for the club. Already we have Mittal a shareholder and this would have heightened the clubs profile even more.
                        That, and the fact he might actually be good.

Strange how Senegal are ranked below 70 and quite a few of their players are in the Premier League.

And Pakistan are ranked lower and Rehman is still working.
                        We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are...

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                          Good point....Didn't man u do the same with park?
                          @chrisrobson9

Comment

Originally posted by tim westwood View Post
                            Rehman was born in the UK, Senegal got to the QF in the 2002 world cup
                            alot of senegalese have french citezenship aswell

Comment

The word unproven springs to mind, very loudly.
                              Very poor quality league, poorer than Aussie soccer, from where we signed the world-beating Nick Ward.
                              The best in Indian football stands a big chance of being no better than lower or non-league.
                              A 3-year contract is a hell of a gamble -- surely you would have a player like that on trial?
                              Faurlin is my hero!!! Love him!!! #########

Comment

Working...
                              X