On reflection...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Del View Post
    Some are dissapointed we haven't got another striker, as am i after getting to like the idea on Odemwingie's pace up front or wide, however, it didn't happen so we move on.

For all those being negative, it's time for a little perspective.

If we were all told we could sign 2 of the following 3 players, Samba, M'Villa, Remy.... I am pretty certain 99% of our fans would choose Samba and Remy as they were the key positions that needed strengthening, and they are top, top players.... I mean who'd have dreamt we'd get them to help our casue only a few weeks ago???

For me anything else is a bonus and of the others:

Yun - I have really high hopes for this lad and think he will have the perfect attitude and work ethic and could become a real gem.... who knows, having a compatriot around may help Park find his game also???
    Jenas - Back on his day i thought was very good for Spurs and unsung to a degree with a lot of his good work going unoticed, however, how have injuries affected him.... if he finds his form, could be a shrewd investment, but i have doubts.
    Townesend - Hardly know anything about the kid and he's been farmed around the championship for 3 years without really standing out.... i find it hard to imagine he'll improve what we have, but Harry will know him and he could be a livewire so here's hoping.

Dissapointing not getting Odemwingie, but we have attacking players to support the front men so we may be fine anyway, but i was also dissapointed we let Faurlin go out as i think he has a lot of quality. Hopefully he will find form and return in the summer revitalised and good for next year, but i expect he;s not in HR's thinking so may be offloaded in the summer... however, worst case scenario, we could recall him for a championship campaign, but i don't think that will be necessary as think we'll overcome Villa, Reading and Wigan.

So true about his injuries but if we're lucky he could play the role of Mbia so Mbia could play instead of Derry. I'm pretty sure Jenas' passing is better than Mbia's, that's no that bad of a change..
    Last edited by erikmata; 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
      Every other word is ''I'm dissapointed'', then tells others not to be negative. Strange post.
      Yeah, every other word and really negative wasn't it!

Comment

We could not have asked for a better signing than Samba - I genuinly believe there is not a better and more needed player that would come to us. Remember watching him v us couple seasons back and he was immense.

Remy - could be Remy the Magnificent, but he could be temperamental, have to see, but a great signing.

Really not sure about Jenas. He will not be on small cash and he is one of an increasingly large generation of players that, to me anyway, seem to have got very rich young and lost their motivation to work hard at their profession. I hope he proves me wrong, but I can't warm to him or the signing.

I think we needed another striker - maybe DJ will get a chance.

Having said all that - we have to change style tomorrow and go for the throat as a draw isn't what we need against Norwich, so I think we are going to see how well Taarbs and Remy can link up and I hope Samba is fit enough to play - if so I can see him heading in from a corner!

Also, we should remember that we have also held onto our stars in this window, which is good. It would have been soiled pants aplenty if a big club had made a serious offer for Taarbs.
        twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

When we play teams around us im sure we arnt going to play the same sort of defensive play we have done against recent teams. We have Remy, Taarabt, SWP (who can create things just cant score them), M'Bia has really started to shine, Hoilett will be back in the fold soon enough and Zamora.

To me I cant see what the problem is....we just signed a monster of a man to replace nelsen. Samba scores goals as well....a huge presence on the pitch. Imagine facing M'Bia and then Samba!!!

Taarabt, Remy and Zamora will do the business. SWP just needs to feed the ball instead of trying to shoot and falling over. He has created some really good chances against some of the top teams.

Dont understand the Jenas thing too much but must be something HR has in mind. Townsend looks like he could be a threat, we'll see....

Comment

Happy with who we've signed and who we've let go. Squad has improved. Now it's down to Harry to get them fired up and start getting some momentum and points on the board, hopefully starting with Naaarich on Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
              Remy? Top striker. Yun - hard to say as I've not seen him but the lad could be a right good signing, only 22 and Man city were sniffing about him so can't be too shabby.

I 100% agree with you Del - top post. Yes in an ideal world we could have nabbed 1 or 2 more but lets not get carried away - our side now is farking blinding. Compared to how it was 31st December 2012. Samba and Remy are 2 absolutely magnificent signings for our club. Tad baffled as to the Ale out and Jenas in move but there ya go - In Arry we trust !

Roll on the rest of the season - I'm feeling very optimistic.
              Was referring to yesterday's business so wasn't including Remy or Yun. Am determined to be positive and optimistic now, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                Was referring to yesterday's business so wasn't including Remy or Yun. Am determined to be positive and optimistic now, mind.
                Fair enough, I agree ref yesterday's business - hope Jenas & Townsend turn out to be good players but first reaction from me is a tad underwhelmed. But, as I keep saying, In Arry I Trust!
                You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

I certainly underestimate how difficult it is to do deals and as a result feel slightly deflated. Looking at Harry last night you can see how exhausting the TDD is. My expectations were higher on the striker front. In some ways I would have preferred Crouchy and PO instead of Samba if that was going to be the outcome. I think we need goals now. I don't care if we let in 4 if we score 5 and I'm talking all in one game!

Comment

we are a stronger squad now and nearer to safety than we were at the .start of the window .

So yes I'm happy

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                      Fair enough, I agree ref yesterday's business - hope Jenas & Townsend turn out to be good players but first reaction from me is a tad underwhelmed. But, as I keep saying, In Arry I Trust!
                      Some of the players we got excited about in the last window have been awful. Remember the excitement over Hoilett and so far he has not really produced anything.

Comment

What HR has done with Jenas and Townsend, he has brought in players he knows and trust, players who will give everything for him.....we need players like that, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by larkspur_hoop View Post
                          What HR has done with Jenas and Townsend, he has brought in players he knows and trust, players who will give everything for him.....we need players like that, don't we?
                          No denying Jenas's attitude, it's his fitness that is a worry. If he can stay fit, he will be a decent player i'm sure, but given his last few years, that's a big if, similar to Kieron Dyer.

Townesend, has something to prove and could be great, but could also do nothing as unproven at this level. As mentioned above, Hoilett was ripping up the prem last year and a real coup in the summer... at the time everyone would've taken him ahead of Townesend but who knows... young, hungry and chomping at the bit for prem football so could surprise us all.....

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
                            Very good, balanced opening post Del. Clearly £21m is still not enough for some people though.
                            its all about the money it's all about the dum dum.......NOT!

It is all about getting quality players in positions we lack quality - simple. We could have paid £10m for Crouch which would have been absolutely crazy......very bad value for money even though I love Crouchie. Problem is not how much we spend - problem is after the window we still lack quality in some areas and backup squad players in some other areas - fact.

Some people like metaphors so I will keep up with Christmas morning.... Lets say I wished for the whole Harry Potter collection on DVD and only got movie 1 and 5 in HD blu-ray special collectors edition with signed autographs. Will I be disappointed.......YES I would! I would be disappointed not to get the whole complete collection on good enough quality DVD as wished for - but I will be happy with the 2 top class quality movies I got. GET IT???

I wished for a CB for Nelsen and a CB for Ferdinand, a DM for Faulin/Derry, a Striker for Cissé and a Striker for Campbell/Bothroyd/Johnson. I got Samba and Remy which are top notch and I am very happy with those........but what about the blank spots then?? So YES a bit disappointed but not more than 3 points tomorrow will cure
                            Last edited by zuluop; 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Yes, £10m for Crouchy would have been way over the top I agree.
                              Hope you enjoy your DVDs!!

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
                                Yes, £10m for Crouchy would have been way over the top I agree.
                                Hope you enjoy your DVDs!!
                                Yeah the gift that keeps on giving

Comment

Working...
                                X