Derry (video): QPR moved too quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derry (video): QPR moved too quickly

Queens Park Rangers midfielder Shaun Derry believes the Premier League club are paying the price for trying to progress too quickly.

More...

i agree with that to some extent...mark hughes bought in too many players

Comment

Well he is right, cause look at the mess we are in but imo we needed to improve the squad. It's a difficult one

Comment

I think Derry comparing us to the Norwich and Swansea (who came up with us) models is a perfectly valid point, and one that has been made for a while. They finished below us in the CCC yet they never splashed out millions on uprooting half the squad and bringing in 13 new players. They also changed their managers so we cant use that excuse either. Nor can we use the excuse (that the club have tried to use) that the players we've offloaded are not still playing in the prem again because of the successful Norwich and Swansea models of keeping faith in the players that got them up. TF has admitted in his latest interview that he's still learning a lot about how to run a football club and I think this is an exact case in point.

Comment

Agree with Derry....we are really a victim of a club that has a bit of money to splash - in essence, it has been detrimental to what the club want to achieve...Swansea and Norwich eg, didnt have the same amount of money to splash and its worked in their favour.

Comment

Swansea and Norwich had young hungry players. We had an abundance of players who were in their twilight and couldn't adapt to the pace of the premiership. We had to buy a whole new team. We got promoted a season too early IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by supahoopsaaa View Post
              Swansea and Norwich had young hungry players. We had an abundance of players who were in their twilight and couldn't adapt to the pace of the premiership. We had to buy a whole new team. We got promoted a season too early IMO.
              I guess that depends which way you look at it. It could be argued we had the perfect blend of youth (Traore, Taarabt, Faurlin, Mackie) and experience (Hill etc), not to mention the foolish release of HH and DJ.

Comment

Everyone wants to emulate Swansea and buy player like Michu and get great success on a shoestring but usually it don't work out. The EPL on average is dominated by richer clubs and the lower leagues mostly has lots of poorer clubs. Occasionally a smaller club does well and wins the lottery but in general you get what you pay for.

Sometimes a good manager can find niches where you can succeed on a budget - look at Allardyce at Bolton, he bought good players who nobody wanted because they were trouble makers or misfits or unfashionable built them into a consistent top 8 side. Harry took unfashionable Pompey into Europe using a lot of discarded players to mould a team. Good football people can do that sort of stuff over time and it can work because nobody pinches their players. Probably also helped Swansea last summer because their playing style is so specific that clubs were unsure players would work elsewhere. So there are possible ways for a club to punch above its weight but it is very difficult to do and even harder to maintain.

Comment

We had no pace in the team that Warnock started the prem with. Especially in the central areas. We certainly overdid it with the number of players we brought in. Still we're in the situation we're in and whatever happens happens. We'll still be here no matter what.

Comment

We spent a lot but it wasn't massive spending under MH, I think just over 20m. Swansea weren't far behind on about £18m.

The problem was that our spending wasnt targetted, we had an ok core team that needed about 4 maybe 5 proper additions, to this day I do not understand MH and Riggs transfer policy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBLOCKRANGER View Post
                      We spent a lot but it wasn't massive spending under MH, I think just over 20m. Swansea weren't far behind on about £18m.

The problem was that our spending wasnt targetted, we had an ok core team that needed about 4 maybe 5 proper additions, to this day I do not understand MH and Riggs transfer policy.
                      whatever the reasons behind it , it was a total disaster. Better to be rid of the two

Comment

Originally posted by kron-1664 View Post
                        whatever the reasons behind it , it was a total disaster. Better to be rid of the two
                        Yes best that they are gone but the expenditure was big but not as massive as the media make out, saints spent about £33m but no one goes on about them.

Comment

Originally posted by TBLOCKRANGER View Post
                          Yes best that they are gone but the expenditure was big but not as massive as the media make out, saints spent about £33m but no one goes on about them.
                          I think it was the size of salaries and agent fees too though - 2nd highest only to man city. Thats the difference between say a Hughes and a Warnock or Redknapp, they'll spend it more like its their own money. Thats not to say TF didnt place too much blind faith in Hughes and what he asked for. But that was more down to naivety and inexperience on his part.

Comment

the problem was not merely the hughes signings, it was the warnock ones too. because everyone is so consumed with dislike of hughes they forget that very few of the (large number) of warno signings after we were promoted were a success (arguably they were even worse than the Hughes signings). The problem is we have bought about two entire teams in a year and a half - most of whom have proved at best mediocre. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and they were mainly bought in a big panic but if we had just focused on getting Chris Samba and maybe Andy Carroll on loan or Berbatov we cd have happily done without at least a dozen of the other lot.

Comment

The team needed heavy investment in the squad. I do not question the number of bodies brought in but the quality of signings and the playing positions of the players brought in.

Comment

Working...
                              X