The 43 games To Go Report..With Some Home Truths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 43 games To Go Report..With Some Home Truths

Far more negatives than positives for me today and having played 3 games, its time to say to the board get the wallet out and get Nugent or Beckford and if you can get both. I've been more patient than many others and tend not to live for the moment and the fact Chopra has scored a hat-trick does not neccesarily mean he will be the championship top striker and even though we are in the bottom 6 so are ipswich and neither of us will be in the bottom half come the end of the season. But, we should have replaced Blackstock and we have not. We played so negatively last season underlined by Sousa's tactics and thats why the attackers needed the chance to prove themselves. Its not working and if we can spend an alledged amount of 3.5 million on a midfielder we don't know, then its about time we spent at least that on a striker we do know. Okay, I have been a big defender of Ageymang up until pre-season. He scored 8 goals in 6 games under De canio and I always hoped that he could get back to that kind of level, reality is that he is siimply not good enough (his selection baffled me, which I will go onto later) In Rowan Vine you have an excellent play-maker up front, but yet again he is not a proven goalscorer. Most fans have been harping on about a new striker, well to be honest now having watched all games pre-season and the 4 games so far, its not one we need its two. YES TWO. I did not jump on the bandwagon like many, because much of the comments were made on the basis of popularity without, watching and judging for themselves. The reality is the fans were right and I hold my hands up. No good making me a scapegoat as I have no influence on signings and neither do I pick the team, but if I run the football club, I'd be reading the comments about my club and say enough is enough certainly in regards to Ageymang and I would strongly advise chatting to Vine, assessing how much confidence he has in him, after such a terrible injury.

In regards to team selection we simply panicked after a good perfromance against Plymouth. Football to me is about confidence and if a player scores or plays a stomer than you might make the change. What did Ageymang do on Saturday that ensured he got the nod over Helguson for example? Why, when Faurlin who has not played since the Celje game do we expect him to perform miracles in the middle and throw him straight in. He looked at sixes and sevens in the midfield in the first half. He played much better for twenty minutes in the second half and his first touch is excellent, but it was the wrong decision to start him and more importantly what does it say to a player like mahon? These guys are human beings, and I wouldn't feel too great about being dropped after a good game at Plymouth. You deserve the right to replace someone, you don't replace someone because you cost 3.5 million. You wait for your opportunity, unless we get battered in a previous match, you don;t make changes for the sake of it. Gorkks, will be another one who will be feeling miffed tonight on why he was dropped. I suggest chopping and changing is not good for team morale, stick with the same 11 unless you get injuries, thats my common sense arguement.

I could argue all day about the centre back pairing, but have to say Hall has played extremely well this season, why our best centre defender Connolly is not playing amazes me, but even he has to wait and grab his opportunity.

Onto the game, we were poor in the first half. Make no bones about it, we were overun in midfield, partly due to playing Faurlin. He took a full 45 minutes to get accustomed to the game and could not keep up with the pace. He showed class with his ball distribution, but it was obvious he was not match fit. The ideal game to get 90 minutes under his belt would have been against Accrington Stanley. he may have got a rocket up his back-side at halftime as have to say for about 20 minutes into it, he was terrific. Bristol City should have been 2-0 up, with two clear chances and all we had was a shot from Buzsacky and Tarrabt. The latter was coming deeper to get the ball as the midfield were not getting it to him. I don't know if this is impatience to get the ball, but he was far less effective when coming deep. I still think he will score goals and just because he hasn't found the back of the net in 3 games, I am not unduly worried as when he scores he will go on a run. For the second game running Magilton moved him out left in the second half and he should have scored mid way through the second half. It was not a sitter by any means, as it was tight angle and on the volley. cannot understand how anyone can say it was a sitter, we did have a sitter and that fell to leighterwood in injury time. Done all the hard work, but wanted that extra touch and the keeper made the save. How he misses I will never know, if it had fell to anyone else they would have scored. In regards to Leigeterwood he had a good game, but he is never a captain. It might show our lack of leadership on the pitch, but you need someone geeing up the team and he simply does not do this. The best candidate in the absence of Martin Rowlands is actually Fitz Hall, in my opinion.

The second half we were like a different team, Buzsacky was execellent and after 3 games , he can only get better and still capable of turning a game wth a bit of magic. Have to say, the appointment of Magilton and Gorman have brought the best out of Routledge who yet again in my book was Man of the Match. Defensively in the first half we were not great, i would like to see Borrowdale get down to the by line more. he playes the easy ball perfectly well, but we need a little bit more. Once again, Pellicori impressed in the last 20 minutes and done more in that spell than Ageymang did in the whole match. I don't think he is the 20 a season scorer we are looking for, but he is doing better than I thought he would and is a good addition to the squad.

The last 3 games have been frustrating for me as a fan, not only do I get fed up and depressed after the game, I come onto the messageboard to find some who get some kind of satisfaction in sticking the knife in to make the feeling even worse. I only give opinions and felt too many were persisting with requests for a new striker without giving our current team the chance to prove you all wrong. Personally, its a shame they have not proved you wrong. its obvious that our approach play is excellent, I have enjoyed watching the team play so far this season (apart from first half tonight), I disliked the latter part of the season, that was simply my opinon.

Our team is playing with so much confidence, but Yes we are lacking the goals. Tonight, we had two incidences where we would have scored if a goal poacher was there. Too many players were watching the ball and not making space or holding back. So, when I next speak to the powers at be, I will be saying look these guys have had there chance, its time to get a striker in that will score goals and while you are at it, could you consider bringing two in.
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

fair play pete. agree about the chopping and changing - at the end of the day it makes jim look very weak-minded.

still not sure taarabt in the middle and buzz on the left is the right way round tbh, but then i didn't see tonight's game.

Comment

Nice report and analysis Pete. Thanks for that.

Comment

nice report mate......but on another note why the sudden change....has it taken a defeat to do it.....you were all for waiting.....would you feel the same if we had drawn?

Half the time it is very hard to work out where you are really coming from.

Comment

Halleluuuuuya!
          Eureka!!!!!
          By jove I think he's FINALLY got it...

Fair play admitting you were wrong all along. Pete, seriously all this was obvious last season; absolutely NOTHING has changed despite players coming back.

Still, as player selection is apparently all down to JG and JM, I trust they are the 'powers that be' you will talk to.

What do you mean, GP is the power that be - no never...

Early days still...

Comment

Magilton is a dead man walking and it's only a matter of time before Flavio strikes. I don't think many people would pick his starting line ups, leaving the people he leaves on the bench but it's his or GP's desire to play Taarabt up top, as well as not getting a Beckford type striker that well get him sacked in the end.

PS: Gary Johnson showed the way last night with his 3-5-2 formation which worked very well and is the formation we need to use to maximise the players we have. Listening to what peole say about the formation, I am trying to work out why we did we not murder them.
            Last edited by paulmason; 19-08-2009, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Good report Pete - cheers for that
              Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Great report Pete. How exciting if we splashed the cash on Nugent and Beckford. I'd be straight to the ticket office as would approx 3000 or so others. If only we would bite the bullet. Is the money really there?
                :drunk:

Comment

Nice report Pete and well done for admitting you were wrong.
                  Opinions are like A******s, everyone has one, but nobody wants to see the other guy's.
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------
                  https://twitter.com/#!/QPRBOB

Comment

fair comment mate - i've been as critical as most - but this thread shows you bleed blue n white - but i do feel this is starting to look like an all too familiat season - also wonder what Flavio & Co's true agenda really is - surely they can see we need a PROVEN goal scorer - haven't been to a game myself this season - but all reports indicate we've had a hatful of chances and not taken them - gonna break my duck on saturday - on the overnight coach from Glasgow - hopefully i'll bring us some luck as Forest look pish poor !

Comment

Although its great that pete has now seen the light and will be speaking to the powers that be(wow), theres something very strange and fishy about this striker issue.

I agree with paul mason, JM is a dead man walking already. What I dont understand, and we'll probably never know, is how JM and JG 2 experienced football men started the season thinking the strikers we have were good enough. Either these 2 arent as good as we think they are, or they have asked for this striker(s) and being told to F*** off.

Either way its very worrying, and if we dont beat forest on saturday well, its gonna be a boooofest. I hope Magilton is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by kingy10 View Post
                        Great report Pete. How exciting if we splashed the cash on Nugent and Beckford. I'd be straight to the ticket office as would approx 3000 or so others. If only we would bite the bullet. Is the money really there?
                        Ditto....unfortunately think my money is safe:anger:

Comment

Oh to be a Rangers fan...
                          Your mum would love me...

Comment

Fair play to you Pete we haven't often seen eye to eye in the past but good report and pretty much sums it up the way I see it too.
                            A message to the other Premier League clubs when they visit Loftus Road.....

"NUESTRA GLORIA, VUESTRO INFIERNO"

(If you don't understand it, then learn Spanish. It is the language of world football.....)

Comment

The Rollercoaster that is QPR..have a good day
                              Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Working...
                              X