Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just back - Dont blame Hughes for the loss, blame Diakite.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just back - Dont blame Hughes for the loss, blame Diakite.

We were in the ascendancy at 2-1 and had them on the ropes before Samba's totally needless double yellow. The crowd were lifted and it was just a matter of time before we'd have equalised. What's all the more frustrating is Diakite had been playing so well apart from those two rash challenges. He clearly still has a problem with either his temperament or adapting to the pace of the PL, or both. AFAIK he didnt have a poor disciplinary record at Nancy or with Mali. But it was his red card tonight that gave the momentum back to WHU who used their man advantage to close the game out. Diakite is clearly a highly talented player but he'll be no use to us if he doesn't eradicate this impetuous side to his game. I'm sure Hughes and co will now be very aware of this if they weren't already.

Cesar - Not to blame for either of their goals. Their 2nd took an awful deflection off Mbia, otherwise he'd have saved it. He also kept us in the game near the end with a world class save. Always calm and assured, nothing ever seems to faze him.

Onuoha - Awful, just absolutely awful. He should never play at FB for us again, he's a very different player at CB. Harriman would be better option at RB. I don't think I have once seen him run forward with the ball from a FB position - seems totally lacking in confidence in that position. All he can do is pass it sideways or backwards, occasionally he lumps it forwards but more in hope than to a QPR player but never actually runs with it.

Mbia - our 2nd best player on the pitch tonight, after Adel. Looks a really good prospect. Assured, strong and composed.

Nelson - another very solid performance.

Hill - did his best at LB but its clearly not his best position. Again, he has a tendency to lump it forwards in hope more than to a fellow player. He was also at fault for their first goal where his lack of pace was exposed. Apart from that he was decent tonight though.

Park - another reliable performance but was much more effective when he came inside in the 2nd half.

Faurlin and Granero - overall I felt these two were out-muscled tonight by West Ham's physically stronger midfielders, even in the 2nd half when we added an extra man - this is where I feel the game was lost tonight. Granero was also a little guilty of conceding possession too much for my liking but both him and Ale still showed great class, touches, passing and movement at times.

SWP I thought had one of his better games tonight on the right getting some good crosses in, was always a threat and had a good game overall. He was sacrificed 2nd half but that was more for tactical reasons.

Its clear that Cisse needs a PL goal desperately to kick start his season, he does seem slightly low on confidence and out of sorts.

Zamora once again played his role effectively and its essential we keep him fit.

Adel in the short time he was on was head and shoulders above his team mates and was by far and away our MOM, completely transforming the game with his genius within 80 seconds of him coming on. Had Diakite stayed on the pitch I feel Taarabt would have been instrumental in us scoring again as we were in complete control of the game at that stage.

Hoilett played well too when he came on but needs to release to a team-mate a bit earlier, he got too easily closed down on occasions.
    Last edited by Stanley; 01-10-2012, 11:55 PM.

Park was absolutely terrible tonight, worst game in hoops. our defence was abysmal in the 1st half worst performance since before Warnock. Mbia and Ned were horrific, i was terrified when ever they attacked down that flank. Faurlin i still dont think is match fit, said it since City. Cissè your getting paid a sh!tload of money atleast chase the ball. thought he was incredibly poor tonight. If Hughes dosnt have a win by Arsenal, i afraid hes going to have to go.

Comment

Park was awful

Comment

Park 'another good performance'?? Christ alive..... The only contribution he made was leaving the pitch to allow Adel on.... It was shameful that he wasn't pulled off at half time.

Comment

I was there tonight and think I was watching a different game
          we were very poor

Comment

That was a pleasure to read, very thoughful and more or less accurate.

I would disagree with Park though, I thought he was just average, and offered very little attacking wise.

Comment

Who can give our players a lift at 2-0 down? doesn't look like Park, does anyone look like taking the game by the scruff of the neck and get a reaction from the players? can't see it at the moment, need some leadership out on the pitch

Comment

Thought park was a passenger once again.

Comment

Faurlin and Granero were both awful. Terrible distribution, far too deep and looked lightweight

Comment

Originally posted by stanleymarsh View Post
                    Faurlin and Granero were both awful. Terrible distribution, far too deep and looked lightweight
                    Bit harsh, but, yes, looked really lightweight.

Comment

Hughes: “That first-half we were off the pace for whatever reason. We were very poor". Reason?? The reason(s) were being outrun in central midfield, defending poorly and offering no threat whatsoever on the left flank thanks to Park's poor performance... Failing to introduce Adel at half time was outrageous.... And West Ham had twice to reorganize their back four in that first half.

Comment

Ridiculous blaming Diakite otherwise nice peice but lackin any criticism other than a second half sub who was warming his ass lookin on at us goin 0-2 down (could've been more). A lot of commitment lackin 1st half & poor play, always second to anything loose, sh*te passing/movement , outplayed all over. Bigfat sam done a job on our weaknesses which worked with a little luck at times but better than us tonight anyhow and we made it easy for them.

Comment

Although I only watched on T.V. I have to admit that Park did not look that good; everything else you said Stan, is spot on.
                          Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                          Work Best When Open...
                          @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Stanley always respect your opinion but am struggling with this post. West Ham cd have been out of sight by half time. We were atrocious. Yes Diakite must take a fair amount of the blame for his groundhog day sending off but in truth although we cd have snatched a point if Diakite had stayed on we wd scarcely have deserved it for being played off the park in the first half by a very workmanlike side. Hughes must take at least as much blame for weird formation and inexcusable slowness to change round what clearly wasn't working.

And am totally mystified how any intelligent, thoughtful and observant fan such as yourself cd see anything at all that Park offered.

Comment

Originally posted by D3nisBail3ySliP View Post
                              Ridiculous blaming Diakite otherwise nice peice but lackin any criticism other than a second half sub who was warming his ass lookin on at us goin 0-2 down (could've been more). A lot of commitment lackin 1st half & poor play, always second to anything loose, sh*te passing/movement , outplayed all over. Bigfat sam done a job on our weaknesses which worked with a little luck at times but better than us tonight anyhow and we made it easy for them.
                              I blamed Diakite because had he not got himself sent off I think we could have got something from the game, and there is no way Hughes could legislate for what Diakite did, which as it transpired changed the entire complexion of the game. Therefore I don't see how holding him responsible for that is "ridiculous" as I am sure he is realising the same thing himself tonight after the event. Not that I am condemning him outright as I balance it out with his positives in the OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X