No announcement yet.

The 'Modern' Day Game, your thoughts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Modern' Day Game, your thoughts ?

Just wondering how some of the 'older' supporters on here view the game of today as opposed to way back when. I go back to the Div 3 South days and I just feel that things were much simpler back then ? All this 25 man squad, transfer windows, player rotation etc, etc. Are we all to a certain extent now programmed into thinking about and analyzing the game way too much. For supporters I guess it can be fun at times, but for a coach, manager, even the players, surely it's become a nightmare ? I seem to remember that up until I left England in 1988, team selection, formation etc, all seemed so much more straight forward. Again, going back, we have a first team and a reserve team, everyone actually played. None of this sitting around kicking your heels. Ask anyone in the ground what your first team is, and regardless of whether the team/players were good, bad or indifferent, everyone knew, young and old alike. The manager would have the opposition watched, work out the strengths and weaknesses and pretty much the same team, barring injuries, went out week after week and got on with it. Ask a supporter today what is our first eleven and we have no answer, there isn't one. Ask what the best team/formation might be and you get so many differing views. I wonder if I even know. The point I'm trying make is, that does any manager really know either. Nowadays even if fit, I doubt a manager would ever dream of sticking with the same starting eleven every week. How do you keep everyone happy ! I know the top teams have the European games now so maybe players have to be rested. However, for the majority of teams you are not playing that many more games now, if any, especially if like us you have no cup runs ! Look at the Div One runners up team of the mid 70's. The team pretty much picked it self. Most only missed a handful of games and they were having the s**t kicked out of them by the likes of Norman Hunter etc. Was it really the EPL that changed the game so dramatically ?

Nothing better to do, way too hot outside. Just wanted to maybe encourage some light hearted views on todays game compared with the dark ages lol. NOT intending to prompt any controversy at all. Seems strange to think that many of our younger supporters have known nothing but the EPL and the current set up. Were they really the good old days back then, or is it my wishful thinking. It was so different though, surely, and far less complicated ?

Mick, I read you post with interest, I started in 69, I miss much of the old days.

They include terrace's, imperfect pitches, Brian Moore on Sunday afternnon, unbiased commentry on MoTD, back passes to the goalie, old fashioned tackles, Stan & Rodney, 30,000 plus packed into our wonderful little ground, the Loft singing all those songs, not having to have loyalty points to go to away matches, kids running on the pitch at the end of the games to touch their hero's, beating Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge for the first time etc etc.

I just loved it as a growing youngster in Hammersmith.

A simplier and probably more excting times to be a Queens Park Rangers supporter, maybe the new owners can make the next 10 years as wonderful as my first 10 years suporting the club, let hope so.
    I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
      Mick, I read you post with interest, I started in 69, I miss much of the old days.

They include terrace's, imperfect pitches, Brian Moore on Sunday afternnon, unbiased commentry on MoTD, back passes to the goalie, old fashioned tackles, Stan & Rodney, 30,000 plus packed into our wonderful little ground, the Loft singing all those songs, not having to have loyalty points to go to away matches, kids running on the pitch at the end of the games to touch their hero's, beating Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge for the first time etc etc.

A simplier and probably more excting times to be a Queens Park Rangers supporter, maybe the new owners can make the next 10 years as wonderful as my first 10 years suporting the club, let hope so.
      That's some understatement!......our pitch ALWAYS seemed to be a quagmire!

Wasn't sure if I could comment as I haven't got Stan as an avatar.......

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post

Thanks for your comments Dave. Was certainly not complaining, just making some comparisons. Like you, I do think we are in good hands, the future does look bright, and very hopeful that even this season the team will perform well. Like most on here are saying, it will take a little time for everything to come together. I think the Swansea result was so unexpected that it seemed to knock everyone for six ? We're going to be just fine

Comment

used to love the fact you could just pop down to the box office and purchase a ticket, now you got to go via 3rd parties and pay them a ridiculous handling fee, no terracing, stewards who are a pain in the butt and the general cost of going to a game. For all its faults its still the beautiful game though
          I must away now, I can no longer tarry
          This morning's tempest I have to cross
          I must be guided without a stumble
          Into the arms I love the most

Comment

first went in 76/77 season so anything about the late 60's/70's myself and my brother just listen to the old man. my hero in my early years(and now) was stan but in reallity my time was the el tel years. by then the ol man was ditched and i was heading over to loftus rd with all the other local ruffians!!!(w10)!! a bit of freedom with the lads,20 fags between 20 and enough to get a chippy on the way home!! times have changed-most people in those days were from very local tough areas and the decisions by many to move futher out now see's our fanbase very much surrounding counties. i'm sure those same kids still get that same buzz i got. its still our club but its the kids of todays times now. i hope they get as much out of it as i did.
            PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

I wish I was around in the late 60s/early 70s to witness those times. Does sound a lot better than it is now. Bet tickets were dirt cheap too. Wonder how much it was to get into arsenal back then? Just an example, as now a season ticket it 1400 minimum.
              Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
              Pawel Wszolek - 6
              Luke Freeman - 6
              Matt Smith - 6
              Ebere Eze - 4
              Joel Lynch - 3
              Tomer Hemed - 3
              Toni Leistner - 2
              Massimo Luongo- 2
              Angel Rangel - 2
              Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
              Geoff Cameron - 1
              Aramide Oteh - 1
              Jake Bidwell - 1
              Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
                I wish I was around in the late 60s/early 70s to witness those times. Does sound a lot better than it is now. Bet tickets were dirt cheap too. Wonder how much it was to get into arsenal back then? Just an example, as now a season ticket it 1400 minimum.
                I seem to remember is was 2 and 6, i think thats 12 and half new pence today to get into the Loft as a junior in the late sixties, and we had our own little section at the front until those nasty Chelsea scumbags smashed the wall down after we beat them in the cup 1-0 in the early seventies.

Comment

I started going in '83 and that already seems a world away in some respects. Some things don't change, the buzz of a win, an away win especially, or a last minute goal never does, but now money has permeated its way into every facet of the game and supporters minds. No one honestly knew what a player earned right up to the start of the Premier League and they cared even less. The phone-ins during the transfer window have seen fans not so much discussing football, tactics, qualities of certain players or the heart warming aspects about watching football, but about spend, finances, wages, how much they have splashed (I doubt very few Southampton fans knew much about Gaston Ramirez but were thrilled to see their club pay £12m for him). It's all just a little bit vulgar, as mother would say.

The other aspect is the Americanisation of the 'product' to use its nascent term. In the 90s I went to the US and watched some baseball and NBA. The sort was fine but what I found alarming was the constant geeing up of the crowd with pumped music and sounds to create atmosphere. 'That', I said turning to an American friend 'wouldn't be needed in England because fans create their own songs and chants to make for the atmosphere. Not some bloke in a booth'. Not so. It's over here now and a visit to Wembley (and increasingly any major Premier LEague stadium) is a case in point. The reason is not just about having thumping beats in the ground that down out any natural celebration after a goal - but it sounds better and more exciting for the armchair viewer, for the neutral. With a big stadium and a cast of well-groomed, multi-millionaire players who have no real loyalty to the club, who will sign for whom gives them the best salary - and being so far removed sometimes it feels like going to a game isn't far different from going to a multiplex cinema. So yeah, its a little bit controlled, a little bit orchestrated and, a little bit less than what I grew up on.

I still love it though. But no more, no less than when we were in League One.
                  Last edited by Westbyfleetr; 04-09-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I remember being a "Junior R" member back in the late 80s/early 90s and only having to pay £4.00 to get in (always cash at the turnstile where they ripped off a voucher in your book) all for top flight football. Now with my season ticket works out about £40.00 a game. 90% increase...

Comment

it was rare to have all-ticket games, just get there early, they would close the turnstiles when the ground was full, although hooliganism had began in earnest mid/late sixties there was no away end as such, many a time I stood in the shed or North Bank, as long as you wore no colours and stayed stum you'd be ok
                      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                      This morning's tempest I have to cross
                      I must be guided without a stumble
                      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                        it was rare to have all-ticket games, just get there early, they would close the turnstiles when the ground was full, although hooliganism had began in earnest mid/late sixties there was no away end as such, many a time I stood in the shed or North Bank, as long as you wore no colours and stayed stum you'd be ok
                        Yes we used to stand in the Shed or North Bank and just keep quiet. Safest place in those days. I remember seeing Tommy Langley score for us and celebrate in front of the shed (where I stood). That took some willpower I can tell you!

Comment

The home ends

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
                          Yes we used to stand in the Shed or North Bank and just keep quiet. Safest place in those days. I remember seeing Tommy Langley score for us and celebrate in front of the shed (where I stood). That took some willpower I can tell you!
                          Remember standing on Tottenham's Shelf, Arsenal's North Bank and the South Bank at West Ham as a teenager, never got in any bother, just kept stum.

Comment

Same here Bushcelt; just prior to Terry's All Golds, was when I was finally allowed to go alone (I think it was £1 at the turnstile); also stopping at the chippy on the way home was part of the ceremony.
                            220 bus back into Harlesden, packet of chips, then on the 18 back to Stonebridge.
                            Crazy away days at Cardiff, Grimsby etc, was our version of a vacation back then
                            Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                            Work Best When Open...
                            @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

God, I remember Cardiff fans having a bonfire on the terraces at Ninian Park. Elf & Safety would have a blue fit at that kind of thing now. A bit like fans wandering from one end to the other to be behind the goals your team was attacking.
                              #standuptocancer
                              #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Working...
                              X