• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referee Mike Dean: I should have sent off Carlos Tevez in Joey Barton brawl

FOOTBALL NEWS

Tevez: Would have seen red as well

DEAN WOULD HAVE DISMISSED TEVEZ
    European Championships. Click here to bet.
    Follow us on Twitter
    Football Transfer Centre
    The latest football news
    Referee Mike Dean has revealed he would have sent off Carlos Tevez if he had been afforded a full view of the clash between the Manchester City striker and QPR midfielder Joey Barton on the final day of the Premier League season.

Barton was on Wednesday handed a 12-match ban for his dismissal and violent reaction at the Etihad Stadium on May 13, when City beat QPR 3-2 to win their first league title for 44 years.

QPR said on Friday that Barton, now the subject of an investigation by his club following the incident, would not appeal against that decision.

Later, the Football Association published the full report by the independent regulatory commission into the case, which revealed Barton's ban was divided into a four-match ban for the dismissal for elbowing Tevez, given it was his second red card of the season, a five-match punishment for kicking out at Sergio Aguero, and a three-match punishment for attempting to headbutt Vincent Kompany.

Tevez appeared to strike out at Barton initially, and Dean, via video link, told the regulatory commission that it was a red-card offence which had gone unnoticed.

In the report, which is signed by commission chairman B.M Jones, it is stated that: "Mr Dean was questioned about the 'Tevez' incident for which Mr Barton was dismissed. It was confirmed that neither the referee nor the assistant saw the alleged incident of Mr Tevez striking Mr Barton although Mr Barton immediately made representations to Mr Dean that is what happened, and such comments by Mr Barton can be clearly seen in the video.

"The commission accept that Mr Barton was aggrieved by the action of Mr Tevez and Mr Dean confirmed that had the incident been seen by the officials as shown by the clip supplied by Mr Barton, it would have been an automatic red card.

"The commission find that this does not however excuse the subsequent action by Mr Barton in relation to Messrs Kompany or Aguero."

Barton receives strong criticism in the report for his assault on Aguero, which the commission, which included former Chelsea defender Paul Elliott, said could have caused "serious injury" to the player who went on to score the title-winning goal.

"The commission considered the 'Aguero' incident was a cold and calculated attack from behind Mr Aguero," the report states.

"It was deliberate and the absolute anger etched in Mr Barton's face, is most clearly seen in the videos. It was premeditated and without any provocation and could easily have caused Mr Aguero injury and maybe have put him out of the rest of the game.

"Fortunately he did not suffer any serious injury but he must have been taken very much by surprise and shocked which could have affected his game. The incident was watched by millions of people on television and Mr Barton really had no option other than to admit his guilt and he did so. No great credit can be, or was, given for the admission in this regard."

E-mail Article Print-Friendly Subscribe

Begs the question if the Tevez aggression was not seen by the officials but he would have been sent off by Dean had he seen it why has it not been dealt with retrospectively by the FA.

Stinks of double standards

Comment

I agree, the FA cannot justify punishing Barton but letting Tevez get off scot-free.
      Faurlin is my hero!!! Love him!!! #########

Comment

the corrupt fa do as they please!!!
        you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Factamondo View Post
          the corrupt fa do as they please!!!

And who can stop them

Comment

the FA went to uefa with Rooney to get his 3 match ban reduced for kicking someone in a calculating way. joke FA

Comment

I believe that this part of the report will be the foundation of any action Rangers may take against him.
              "With regard to the Tweets he admitted that he made inaccurate statements regarding the sending off and he appreciated now that he should not have tweeted to his one and a half million twitter followers as he did and which contained lies."
              If this is referring to the "another rangers player suggested I try to get one of their sent off" quote then surely that could be classified as bringing the club into disrepute or something similar and grounds for dismissal....

I also cant see why he appealed the Kompany incident if he said that he cannot really remember if, “in the heat of the moment” Mr Lescott pushed his head and he could not say it was that which caused his head to make the sudden movement seen in the video or if he was trying to free himself from
              Mr Lescott’s hand." Surely the only way he could get off that is if he said Lescott had pushed him???

http://http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Di...-man-city.ashx
              Don't you just love Gianni "I've never done nothing wrong for this club" Paladini..

Comment

They have no excuse not to hand Tevez a 3 game ban for a retrospective red card as they often do to other players.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                  They have no excuse not to hand Tevez a 3 game ban for a retrospective red card as they often do to other players.
                  Agreed, no doubt if roles had been reversed Joey would have been done for that.
                  Don't you just love Gianni "I've never done nothing wrong for this club" Paladini..

Comment

Joey's daft, he should have gone down after Tevez hit him. 90% of players would have down that. Instead he reacts not only to Tevez but to other players. Idiot.

Comment

Referee Mike Dean: I should have sent off Carlos Tevez in Joey Barton brawl

Referee Mike Dean has revealed he would have sent off Carlos Tevez if he had been afforded a full view of the clash between the Manchester City striker and QPR midfielder Joey Barton.

More...

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                        Begs the question if the Tevez aggression was not seen by the officials but he would have been sent off by Dean had he seen it why has it not been dealt with retrospectively by the FA.

Stinks of double standards
                        Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                        Originally posted by weston View Post
                        Agreed, no doubt if roles had been reversed Joey would have been done for that.

Don't think the FA are going to be very happy with Mr Dean. Clearly now, they are left with 2 options only. Take retrospective action against Tevez which needs to result in at least a 1 match ban, or forever live with the proof that they operate double standards.

I just wonder, with the benefit of hindsight and video evidence, whether the Bolton Fan will tell us what he would have done with Ashley Young.

Comment

What's funny is he also didn't see what Barton did!!! What's the difference! That dirty Argie gets away with everything!

Comment

still bewilders me...

the linesman seems to have a clear view of the tevez incident but does nothing.

he doesn't seem to have a clear view of the barton retaliation, but flags for it nonetheless.

...can't defend barton's stupidity, but the ref accepts that tevez would also have gone if seen. is there any chance of a charge against tevez? absolutely none.

in the end it was all ok, but i can't forget that we could have ended up going down as a result of these useless decisions

Comment

Originally posted by robbomk View Post
                              Joey's daft, he should have gone down after Tevez hit him. 90% of players would have down that. Instead he reacts not only to Tevez but to other players. Idiot.
                              He may be a idiot but if he had gone down it would have left Tevez unmarked
                              Cant win can ya !

Comment

Working...
                              X