The Bench and our reserves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bench and our reserves

Now that we have all had time to reflect on last nights performance, who like me thought Connolly looked second rate and off the pace?

Yesterday's starting line-up would keep us up but after a couple of injuries and suspensions who do we really have to replace Barton, Troare, Ferdinand?

Barton will miss at least 6 games through injury or suspension and if we lose three or four more do we have enough depth in our squad? Personally, looking at last nights bench only Smith would cut it. Surely we must strengthen further in January?

Your (honest) thoughts?
    22nd February away v Charlton is the 40th Anniversary of my support of QPR and my first game. Away v Chelsea 3-3 23rd Feb 1974. 40 years of pure magic!!

barton id use(we have no alternative) buzsaky,

ferdinand is hall, although id rather hall and ferdinand.

and traore is hill.

i dont know whats happened to conolly but he just has lost all confidence.
    Soldier: "im on reconnaissance sir.. im looking for our camouflage expert.. have you seen him?"
    Lovejoy: "No?!"
    Soldier: "GOD DAMNIT THAT GUYS GOOD!"

Please Follow My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by GaxZE View Post
      i dont know whats happened to connolly but he just has lost all confidence.
      Thanks to us no doubt. But maybe NW can work on it. I could nearly hear people getting ready to start on puncheon last night, he was only on 7 minutes. Who'd want to be a footballer?

Comment

In terms of January, we'll see where we are on the table. Better players will be available in the summer. I think at the very least we need another centre back and ideally a striker, although we might struggle to bring in someone that's better than what we already have in January.

If we stay up I imagine we'll do a lot of business in the summer. Ideally from what we have at the moment we'll bring in at least another right back, two centre backs, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder, and a decent striker. We definitely need a stronger squad if we're going to start entertaining the idea of establishing ourselves as a consistent mid-table side.

Comment

Originally posted by Felt View Post
          In terms of January, we'll see where we are on the table. Better players will be available in the summer. I think at the very least we need another centre back and ideally a striker, although we might struggle to bring in someone that's better than what we already have in January.

If we stay up I imagine we'll do a lot of business in the summer. Ideally from what we have at the moment we'll bring in at least another right back, two centre backs, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder, and a decent striker. We definitely need a stronger squad if we're going to start entertaining the idea of establishing ourselves as a consistent mid-table side.
          This is what annoys me, next summer you want a brand new team when TF has just given us one. The team we have at the moment is already a mid-table team, the idea of getting another one winds me up. You should be proud of what you saw yesterday and the optimism for a really good season is all there!

Comment

Originally posted by Sotonsuperhoop View Post
            Now that we have all had time to reflect on last nights performance, who like me thought Connolly looked second rate and off the pace?
            I don't think he did anything wrong, or was off the pace. He was never going to play like Traore as totally different players and also Newcastle had started to come into the game quite a bit at that time and there was a risk we could end up with nothing if hit with a suckerpunch. I'm sure NW would have told him to keep it tight and don't get caught up field too much.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyhg View Post
              This is what annoys me, next summer you want a brand new team when TF has just given us one. The team we have at the moment is already a mid-table team, the idea of getting another one winds me up. You should be proud of what you saw yesterday and the optimism for a really good season is all there!
              Couldn't agree more. Our team has basically gone up half a division in standard overnight and still some people aren't satisfied. We could be qualifying for the Champions League and some fans would be huffing "we don't have enough quality to take us to the next level." In January am sure the club will strengthen further. Meanwhile, we should all be really appreciative of the improvement before we start demanding more of it.

Comment

I thought Connolly played very sensibly when he came on. He knows he's not in the same class as Traore and didn't try anything ambitious - no further than the half way line before he gave the ball to Forlan or Derry and looked solid when he defended. Connolly looked a class player when he joined us, but he seems to have stalled in the last couple of seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by hogbag View Post
                  I thought Connolly played very sensibly when he came on. He knows he's not in the same class as Traore and didn't try anything ambitious - no further than the half way line before he gave the ball to Forlan or Derry and looked solid when he defended. Connolly looked a class player when he joined us, but he seems to have stalled in the last couple of seasons.
                  to be fair thought connolly been excellent for us till he got dropped last season when he made one mistake (bearing in mind was a record partnership between him and gorkss made the decision even harder) he is a talented player just for some reason some have decided to give him stick which has really afffected him, he was also playing at left back wich is not his favoured position

wouldlike to see him bounce back as there is a really good footballer there

Comment

Connolly has become the new Hall, the boooo figure, he didn't do anything wrong last night, and is good cover at both full back slots, rather him than Orr and Hill, tbh. He's never going to be a Young or Traore but he is able cover.

Comment

Stick him in at cb wiv anton and im sure he will be fine

Comment

Wasn't Conners & gorks the cb pairing for our unbeaten run last season.
                        Anyway what backup have Norwich,Swans,Wigan etc got?

Comment

He is a quality centre half. Judge him on that. Thought he did okay last night.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyhg View Post
                            I don't want a brand new team, I just think we need a stronger squad for the Premiership. We might have a mid-table team, but we definitely don't have a mid-table squad.

Comment

Connolly is NOT a natural LB (or RB). It's not his favoured position.
                              Sadly, it's where he's played mostly recently, so I'm willing to cut him some slack for looking less confident than he does a CB.

Problem is he's our most versatile defender, so most likely to be on the bench.
                              If NW knew he'd have to replace the LB, I suspect he'd have Hill on the bench. but with Hall & Gabbidon fitness always a concern, Connolly is good cover.

Comment

Working...
                              X