Closing down and tackling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing down and tackling?

This seemed to be a problem today, as we always seemed to go close but stood off and allowed them to pass or shoot, which led to deflections that helped the goals. Especially noticed this for the second goal.
    Whereas Wigan closed down well and stopped us from getting past the man all the time!

Something needs to be done

That has always been a problem, our defenders just let people run past, for example last season against Cardiff away when Hill let Bothroyd get past him and score that beauty, and against Bristol city at home when Orr let that guy run past him and score. I think Young will help the defence out a lot though.
    "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
      This seemed to be a problem today, as we always seemed to go close but stood off and allowed them to pass or shoot, which led to deflections that helped the goals. Especially noticed this for the second goal.
      Whereas Wigan closed down well and stopped us from getting past the man all the time!

Something needs to be done

Spot on. In situations like today, Clint Hill would´nt have turn his back to the ball.
      Eventually, Warnock have to pick the same defence sooner rather than later. Young is on his way. I dont really rely on Perone nor Connolly. But it´s also a matter of discipline and when to put the pressure on the player. Personally I hate it when I see players back off like they did today.
      QPR
      Best team in the world
      Sort of

Comment

Watching today, Wigan players got in close with a hand on the player, which mostly goes unnoticed but we seemed to stand back and happily allow them to play the pass

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
          Watching today, Wigan players got in close with a hand on the player, which mostly goes unnoticed but we seemed to stand back and happily allow them to play the pass

In fearness, I have to say that Rodallega and Di Santo are players who doesnt need much space.
          But we have to realise that we will be up against players like these two almost every week now.
          QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

Working...
          X