Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QPR V Rochdale Report

Brief one for me..

Someone said when we were promoted last season, did we remember the Port Vale game, when we were celebrating the day? In truth, the only time I actually thought about the game, was last night.

I read Warnock's programme notes with interest and it was obvious he really did not take this competition seriously, though saying that he did put out a team that should have comfortably beaten Rochdale. When you see the inclusion of Taarabt and Bothroyd (both played to get fitness up) then I was a little more optimistic, then before I made my way to Loftus Road.

In truth, it seemed we had two teams playing within one team. The likes of Taarabt, Hogan and Bothrod on one and Shittu, Cook and Rowlands on the other. In other words this team was a little unbalanced and more to the point unfamilar with playing with each other.

On reflection we had no excuses, we did not turn up and it was played like a training ground exercise. The crowd had accepted after an hour that we indeed were not going to the bull by the horns and go for the comeback.
    No player on the field really had the appetite to get back into the game and with the chance of extra time, it was obvious both players and the manager were more concerned about Saturdays fixture at Wigan.

It was an opportunity for some players to put themselves in the shop window and one or two were able to make a good case. In particular Martin Rowlands who would be a good signing for practically anyone in the championsip. His passing was crisp and he looked comfortable until tiring late on and coming off with a hamstring pull. On the other hand I was disappointed with Cookie's contribution and he looks a shadow of his former self. I am not sure if the knee injury will put pay to his career at a high level of competition, but its obvious he has lost a yard of pace. I still think it was scandoulous these two players were not given the opportunity at the POTY to be presented to the fans after what they have given for the club. It was probably the last time we will see rowlands and Cook in a hooped shirt and its such a shame it was in this game against Rochdale. They certainly deserved better when you think players like Hulse and Vaagen Moen were paraded to the fans last season for giving very little.

On a postive note it looks like Bruno Andrade will make the step up and he is intersting for the future if we can look after him and allow him to progress at the club. I would have liked to see Antonio German for the last 20 minutes because I also believe this kid could do well, but its fair to say he is so far down the pecking order its likely to be elsewhere.

The pairing of Perone and Shitt did okay. Dan is very commanding in the air, though one wonders why Perone was given a years contract. At Premiership level I cannot see him featuring and one would question if Dan will get many cameo performances throughout the season, though he is clearly better of the two.

I was disappointed to see Taarabt throw down his shirt to a Rochdale player, as it was obvious the player simply wanted to shake hands and take his prized possession. I wished he had been a little more graceful in defeat as Rochdale had performed well and totally deserved the victory.

One last point, we make mistakes year after year of pitching up to these games, knowing that we are not treating the competition seriously. Next season the club need to think seriously about giving free admission, as even the most loyal fan will think twice about pitching up for a non-event.

The priority must always be staying in the Premiership, but to say we would never win it, is a little off the mark. You can see most Premiership clubs have a great chance of at least reaching Wembley, in this competition.

Saying that, even with the side Warnock did put out we should have at least made it through to the 3rd Round.
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

I didn't see Taarabt throw down his shirt and I'm sorry to hear it. I'm pleased to say, though, that a good number of QPR fans waited to applaud Rochdale off the pitch.

Comment

Working...
    X