1882 or 1885?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1882 or 1885?

The club have tarted the ground up with lots of things saying 1882 e.g. by the tv gantry.

Then why make a huge fuss in the summer with the plaque unveiling to say we were founded in 1885

Club is so amateurish.
    First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

1885 is the correct year. Jim Gregory our chairman in 1982 said it was 1882 so the club would sell more cup final shirts!!
    22nd February away v Charlton is the 40th Anniversary of my support of QPR and my first game. Away v Chelsea 3-3 23rd Feb 1974. 40 years of pure magic!!

Comment

In fairness..NO

This has been going on for years and for various owners. Strictly speaking we, as a footy club, is since 1882..thats correct.

When we've been QPR or when we've been at loftus road, or when we started the hoops blah blah...you could make an anniversary up from various dates.

1882 is when we started, end of. I dont give a monkeys about name changes or whatever..but i could be alone in that. If people want to celebrate the whole 125 years thing with our first year back in the prem then why not??

EDIT - what the above poster said re the dates and re the owners changing history..or at least deciding to pick and choose ;)

Comment

Problem with celebrating the "125 year thing" as you put it, is that even allowing for a start date of 1885, it's a year late.

Comment

scott, you will not find any reference to qpr before 1886, the earliest newspaper report found is 1886,
          1882 was the year of the formation of christ church rangers soon to be followed by the formation of st judes institute in 1884, these two clubs where local rivals until the merger of the two clubs was announced following a meeting in st judes hall in 1885 (hence the plaque) queens park rangers were born and started playing the following season its plain and simple qpr were formed in 1886.

Comment

like many things, qpr kokc em up....
            why unveil plaques as 1885 and have int he ground, for the media to see..1882?

add an awful home kit....
            no sponsor....

amateur.

Comment

exactly modfather! but the plaque says 1886. i believe many people at qpr especially those involved with proving and correcting our history and who have worked on this were shocked to see 1882 up on the tv gantry and directors box.
              the players then came out with 125 on the back of there shirts (work that one out)
              i understand there was a brief article in the programme yesterday about the unveiling of the plaque at st judes hall even included a photo of gordon macey (club historian) and dave robinson (head of stadium tours) but no mention of them by name.
              the club quite obviously know facts but are reluctant to fully recognise them due to the fact of the work and cost involved in changing everything from signage/ merchandise/ stationery etc
              like you said modfather, the words c##k up does not even come close to the current state of our club.

Comment

Working...
              X