Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is winning Championship biggest acheivment in clubs history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is winning Championship biggest acheivment in clubs history?

Is this the pinnacle of our history?

It's probably better than the league cup win, but is it better than all the years in the top division 15-20 years ago, and is the 2nd place our peak?

I think with our current set up, stadium size, etc, we have 'over-achieved,' and it's probably due to a mix of Warnock and good luck.

If the owners sit on their hands (wallets), we should realistically struggle in the premiership, and maybe last 1 or 2 seasons without dropping back to being a mid table champ div club. However, this is an ideal chance to move us on to the next level if they choose to take it, but we can only become a top 10-15 club, and sustain our place long term if they invest sufficiently in a bigger stadium, attracting more fans, youth academy, training facilities, players etc.

Originally posted by Gerryhatrick View Post
    Is this the pinnacle of our history?

It's probably better than the league cup win, but is it better than all the years in the top division 15-20 years ago, and is the 2nd place our peak?

I think with our current set up, stadium size, etc, we have 'over-achieved,' and it's probably due to a mix of Warnock and good luck.

If the owners sit on their hands (wallets), we should realistically struggle in the premiership, and maybe last 1 or 2 seasons without dropping back to being a mid table champ div club. However, this is an ideal chance to move us on to the next level if they choose to take it, but we can only become a top 10-15 club, and sustain our place long term if they invest sufficiently in a bigger stadium, attracting more fans, youth academy, training facilities, players etc.
    Have to disagree, When winning the League Cup in 67 we over achieved too, we were a 3rd division side (now 1st) and beat West Brom from the 1st Div (now prem) back then that was an achievement also was finishing 2nd in 75/76 as was now.
    They were all good at their time. My favourite being 75/76 (If only we had won it though)
    Last edited by 80sCasual; 18-05-2011, 09:05 AM.
    Queens Park Rangers
    NPower Champions 2010/2011

PREMIER LEAGUE 2011 - ETERNITY (Oh well got that wrong, we'll be back though)

Comment

Too young to remember the League Cup, but would that was the greatest acheivement based on where the club were at the time.

I would imagine 75-76 would also beat this acheivement, so this would rank 3rd for me
      ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
      THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Considering the amount of money involved, i would say yes.
        They seek him here.................

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet pimple View Post
            Considering the amount of money involved, i would say yes.
            That doesn't make it the biggest achievement. I agree it is probably the biggest thing to happen to our Club in terms of value (except the take over by the billionairres of course) however that doesn't make it the biggest in terms of honours. The League Cup victory as a third division south team against a first division side from 2 down is the winner. It has historical meaning also as this was the first League Cup final played at Wembley. The runners up '76 was the biggest league achievement and that was a great era for me personally.
            This is a trophy and I think the whole football world agrees that the Championship is the hardest league to get out of (in the right direction!) so it is a big achievement - I would say on a par with our (quite) recent history as finishing as the highest placed London Club in the premier league?
            Last edited by Bluehoop; 18-05-2011, 12:53 PM.
            #standuptocancer
            #inyourfacecancer

Comment

IMO:

1) League Cup 1967. (Third division club at the time beating first division opposition - immense acheivement.
              2) First Division Runners-Up 76-77 (Losing out on title by just one point to scousers).
              3) Second Division (now Championship) Winners 82-33 (Won by a clearer points margin than this year).
              4) Championship Winners 2010-11.

Comment

Thought we did the double in '67. Old 3rd division title and the league cup

Comment

Originally posted by Park Street Ranger View Post
                  IMO:

1) League Cup 1967. (Third division club at the time beating first division opposition - immense acheivement.
                  2) First Division Runners-Up 76-77 (Losing out on title by just one point to scousers).
                  3) Second Division (now Championship) Winners 82-33 (Won by a clearer points margin than this year).
                  4) Championship Winners 2010-11.
                  It was 75-76, how can you get that wrong?
                  Queens Park Rangers
                  NPower Champions 2010/2011

PREMIER LEAGUE 2011 - ETERNITY (Oh well got that wrong, we'll be back though)

Comment

67 double without doubt, top London club for a few seasons and being runners up would be like Blackpool being 2nd today ! Reaching the FA cup final whilest in the 2nd division.
                    So no this is not the best season. Dont forget we are only a little lovable club !!

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
                      67 double without doubt, top London club for a few seasons and being runners up would be like Blackpool being 2nd today ! Reaching the FA cup final whilest in the 2nd division.
                      So no this is not the best season. Dont forget we are only a little lovable club !!
                      A double I doubt will ever be matched. 3rd division champs and league cup winners. Can't imagine a 3rd division team (league 1) will ever manage that nowadays.

Comment

In my life time i have to say YES

Comment

Working...
                        X