The Stoke City Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stoke City Model

Just a few seasons ago they were getting thumped 3-0 at Loftus Road and now they are in the FA Cup Final and 8th in the Premiership so did they totally change their Championship promotion side to survive in the Premiership? The first year in the Premiership they finished 12th but we're closer in points to Fulham in 7th than Newcastle who were relegated but who played in the Championship side and who played in the Premiership team?

Top 10 most performance in the Championship for Stoke City in 07/08:
    Rory Delap – Performances 44
    Richard Cresswell - Performances 43
    Ricardo Fuller – Performances 42
    Liam Lawrence – Performances 41
    Ryan Shawcross - Performances 41
    Steve Simonsen - Performances 36
    Mamady Sidibe - Performances 35
    Leon Cort - Performances 33
    Carl Dickinson – Performances 27
    John Eustace – Performances 26

Top 10 most performance in the Premiership for Stoke City in 08/09:
    Thomas Sorensen - Performances 36
    Abdoulaye Faye – Performances 36
    Ricardo Fuller – Performances 34
    Rory Delap – Performances 34
    Richard Creswell – Performances 30
    Ryan Shawcross – Performances 29
    Danny Higginbotham – Performances 28
    Glenn Whelan – Performances 26 (Played 14 times for Stoke in 07/08)
    Andy Wilkinson – Performances 22 (Played 23 times for Stoke in 07/08)
    Mamady Sidibe – Performances 22

The players in bold appear either in both lists or because they played a significant amount of games during Stoke's final season in the Championship.

Of course they spent money on the likes of Etherington, Kitson, Beattie and the likes of Faye, Sorensen and Higginbotham but Kitson failed to score for them that season, Beattie scored 4 fewer than Fuller and Etherington failed to score and made just 3 goals in a dozen matches so didn't have as big an impact as he does for them today.

Today their squad has transformed but what I'm trying to say is that the season after they won promotion the team that kept them up was predominantly made up of the successful team from the season before. So if we don't spend big it doesn't necessarily mean we will do a Burnley or possibly a Blackpool it could mean Warnock is trying to keep the spirit and the togetherness of this current squad. Yes it needs strengthening as none of our strikers are as good as Fuller or Beattie were but the core is already in place and over time it can be changed and improved on.

What is more important is the faith shown in Tony Pullis. Love him or hate him he went into the Premiership without any prior experience at that level and has kept a team up three years in a row and next season they'll be playing European football. We might not like their style of football but as a blueprint for success it wouldn't be a bad one for QPR to follow. I'm not saying that we shouldn't invest but too many successful teams go up and remove all of the players that got them there in the first place. The same players who would have been confident and on form replaced often with so called 'better' players.

Anyway, enough of my gibberish I hope you find it quite a useful thread next time you want to argue one way or another for splashing the cash or sticking with (the majority) of what we've already got.

Great post mate. I hate stoke and the football they play but if we could stabilize ourselves in the Prem like they have done and make our home games very tough like they do I would be very happy
    CHAMPIONS
    Ainsworth is a Legend http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisHermitage Has scored at Loftus Road

Comment

Originally posted by hermitage10 View Post
      Great post mate. I hate stoke and the football they play but if we could stabilize ourselves in the Prem like they have done and make our home games very tough like they do I would be very happy
      But I bet I hate Stoke even more then you hermitage Hope Citeh absolutely murder them tomorrow,

Comment

Good post as ever Sir Pie and agree that you don't have to buy massive star names to become a mid-ranking Premiership club.

Where, however, I do fear your comparison falls down is I don't think our squad now is as strong as Stoke's was then. Yes we have Tabs and Faurlin who are arguably as good if not better than anyone they had. But they had about seven players as shown by your excellent research who have really made the step up. Do we have that many possibles? They also had a good strike force, as you acknowledge, whereas we will have to start almost from scratch up top.

With us I'm struggling beyond about four or poss five names to find anyone in our squad who cd become a 30 odd game a season player. And yes, I realise you will just reply "well you don't know how good our players will be until you give them a try", just as Pulis had to suck it and see with Stoke's players.

We are all guessing. But much as I love the attitude Warno has instilled I think we have a lot of players who on the wrong day struggled in the Championship, let alone the Premiership. Think we have to recongise we punched way above our weight last season and, without hopefully taking too much away from the squad, benefited from a v poor Championship and a manager who knows that division inside out.

All of which is a v long-winded way of saying, sadly, I do think the board is going to have to get the chequebook out if we are going to stay up.

Comment

Originally posted by hermitage10 View Post
          I think they deserve maximum respect, and play a lot better football than they are given credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by Fawny View Post
            I think they deserve maximum respect, and play a lot better football than they are given credit for.
            I live in Stoke mate and believe you me, they don't

Comment

Working...
            X