Routledge to sign permanent deal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routledge to sign permanent deal.

Queens Park Rangers are set to sign Wayne Routledge permanently after the on-loan winger had his contract mutually cancelled by Newcastle.

The 26-year-old joined Rangers on a temporary deal in January and has become an integral part of Neil Warnock's table-topping side with four Championship goals.

QPR have moved quickly to keep him at Loftus Road, with Routledge now expected to sign a four-year deal with the club who can secure their place in the top-flight with a win over Cardiff on Saturday.

The former England Under-21 international had two years to run on his contract at St James' Park but was surplus to requirements under Alan Pardew and agreed a pay-off in exchange for terminating his deal.

Meanwhile, Warnock is happy that Cardiff will have to go for it against his side when they meet in the Welsh capital.

Rangers endured a frustrating night on Monday as Derby ground out a 0‑0 draw at Loftus Road.
    But with Cardiff second in the table, just a point ahead of Norwich and three ahead of Reading, the hosts will have to attack, leaving possible gaps for QPR.

Boss Warnock said: "It's good we're playing a team who will want to have a go at us. If you look at their forward line you know there's no chance they'll put 10 men behind the ball looking for a point."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...tledge-deal.do

So does that mean Newcastle don't even get a fee?

Comment

Good, pace to burn and a threat to any defence, needs more consistency but sure he'll be a very strong addition.

Comment

Abosolutely no way Newcastle will release on free. I undertstand a fee has already been agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
          Absolutely fantastic business by the club if so, sell a player then get him back for free less than a year later.

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
            I find this bit strange as well.

Comment

Also is this subject to the hearing and qpr going up?

Comment

To echo above, despite the fact that we clearly want him, and are edging closer to promotion, with one of our owners saying we'll have cash to spend, they're prepared to forgo the fee and give him a free transfer?

Then again, it is Newcastle we're talking about
                A blog of my first season ticket, and QPR's return to the Premiership after 15 years

Where Were You When We Were S4!T?

Comment

Originally posted by dpmd View Post
                  I find this bit strange as well.
                  Well I'd have thought agreeing to sell a player to another club automatically cancels their contract. Now if a player is on £1 million a year has 2 years to run and is valued at £2million then that club may see it as good business to simply cut their losses.

Comment

Surely if you cancel a contract he becomes a free agent and therefore is free? Must say I'm mystified as thought he was valued at circa £1.5/2m and that we had agreed to pay that if we go up. Find it hard to believe, but if we have got him for free then a stunning bit of business...

Comment

How about, they still haven't paid QPR all or part of the fee from last January so we're saying "give him back and we'll call it even"?

Comment

4 year deal is a worry.
                        Shows we've not learnt from Vine, Dave, Hall, etc.
                        But worse still Wayne will be on Premiership wages.

3 years Max, and with a clause saying if relegated, his wages become Championship level or he can leave (if an acceptable offer is tabled).

Comment

Originally posted by QPR1976 View Post
                          4 year deal is a worry.
                          Shows we've not learnt from Vine, Dave, Hall, etc.
                          But worse still Wayne will be on Premiership wages.

3 years Max, and with a clause saying if relegated, his wages become Championship level or he can leave (if an acceptable offer is tabled).
                          I see your point about the wages but at least Wayne has the ability to be a Prem player - some of the players we have signed on long contracts (Vine, Agyman, etc) are not even being exactly snapped up by League 1 clubs.

Comment

True, but in Vine & Hall's cases they both came to us from the Prem, if not exactly regulars.

Hall could hold his own (if he stays fit) in Championship.
                            Dave in League 1
                            But sadly Vine would struggle in League 2 right now. (I've a hunch he'll be back at Luton next Season)

Does all those 3 contracts run out this Summer ?

Comment

Hold on about Vine. We signed him on a 4 year deal, and the player we signed looked Premiership class to me. But then he went and got injured, and came back a lesser player.

So the risk with 4 year deal is: what happens if Routledge gets a similar injury. We get an unsellable player on the wage bill for x amount of years. Some positions it is less of a risk, but players with pace...?

That makes a 3 year contract more sensible.

Comment

Working...
                              X