• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor grammar on the big screens

Come on you R's

Pray tell, who does this R belong to?

Taking fan complaining to an all time low
    A blog of my first season ticket, and QPR's return to the Premiership after 15 years

Where Were You When We Were S4!T?

?

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
      ?
      I noticed last night the big screen flashes up with "Come on you R's", and got irrationally annoyed at such poor grammar. I think it's because apostrophes are the only piece of grammar I know the rules on.

Apologies all round, this is the worst thread ever
      A blog of my first season ticket, and QPR's return to the Premiership after 15 years

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
        I noticed last night the big screen flashes up with "Come on you R's", and got irrationally annoyed at such poor grammar. I think it's because apostrophes are the only piece of grammar I know the rules on.

Apologies all round, this is the worst thread ever
        nope still lost...

Comment

"R's" is short for "Rangers", isn't it? An apostrophe can be used to indicate omitted characters, particularly when the normal form of an inflection seems awkward or unnatural (e.g. "KO'd" rather than "KOed"). Therefore, I don't think you're right in saying that this is grammatically incorrect.

However, "come on you Rs" is also perfectly acceptable.

Comment

apostrophe S implies possession of the singular - belonging to, so the OP has a very valid point.
            S apostrophe implies possession of a plural.
            Hope that clears this up!!

Comment

oh...

Comment

I know where you're coming from, poor grammar annoys me too. The Godfather is correct too, the ol' omission apostrophe can be used.
                Yeah maybe this is the worst thread ever.

Comment

Originally posted by tetters View Post
                  I know where you're coming from, poor grammar annoys me too. The Godfather is correct too, the ol' omission apostrophe can be used.
                  Yeah maybe this is the worst thread ever.
                  Yes, he is, I hadn't contemplated that - I saw it and presumed misuse of the possesive apostrophe.

I should probably fall on my sword and propose my owning banning for this atrocity

Comment

after this forum post you should go and dig your veins out with a spoon

Comment

We like seeing a ball in the back of the net especially by QPR..not reading a dictionary !!

Comment

im also a big fan of them people that cant' get there grammer written down,properly I wander sometimes if this has got somfing to do with the fact thatnowadays we see words misspelt on tv ads and conseqently kids that grow up are unable to infact spell words correctley and donut really no what us Olduns used to do in them days when we were taut to spell and pronounce words in the old fashioned aBc and also knowing when to put a commer or a fullstop or indeed when in is correct to put a CAPITAL letter but that comes from from the society what we live in these days :

Comment

All these end of season nerves is making people go mad, we're off to Cardiff on saturday to win the title, i don't think the English language is gonna be high on peoples priorities especially as in Wales they wouldn't understand us anyway.
                          Queens Park Rangers
                          NPower Champions 2010/2011

PREMIER LEAGUE 2011 - ETERNITY (Oh well got that wrong, we'll be back though)

Comment

It's a dog.
                            I hadn't seen him.

No possessives there!

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
                              Come on you R's

Pray tell, who does this R belong to?

Taking fan complaining to an all time low
                              id never notice as my grammer is apauling :drunk:

#QPRJunglists #QPRPartybusmassive @epn1882chalet QPR - JUNGLE - DnB - Westside Hounslow

Comment

Working...
                              X