Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has our defence been a bit flattered this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has our defence been a bit flattered this season?

By some very bad finishing I mean?

OK, so after nearly 40 games statistics don't lie. From the goalkeeper through to the full backs and the four centre halves we have been using on and off they have all received massive credit for maintaining the best "goals against" tally in the football league - and rightly so.

BUT. Its not just Claridge who has made the point that we often look vulnerable. He highlighted all the chances Cardif had against us but even against the bottom club on Monday night they had at least three golden opportunities. I don't think we were ever in danger of dropping points against the Blades because even if we'd have let in a couple of goals I think we could easily have stepped up another gear in the second half and bagged another couple ourselves. However, against more clinical strikers next season I do worry we will be punished. This in turn will force Faurlin and Derry (or whoever replaces him) to play deeper, thus cutting off service to Tabs and Routledge who may or may not track back as much as is needed.

I'm not saying "panic" because our defence can only be expected to deal with what is put in front of it and it has done superbly this season. But while we are all agreed more or less about what we need in attacking areas I don't think any of us really has a sense of how we will do at the back. We cd go to places like Anfield and really surprise some people by managing to shut up shop; equally, its not inconceiveable that we cd ship in quite a lot of goals. While I think its fairly clear Warno will buy a couple of strikers in the close season it will be v interesting to see whether he goes stick or twist with the back line.

Without doubt he will change the back 4. Expect at least one full back and probably 2 centre backs during the summer. Pity about Connoly but the hope is that he will regain his confidence but barring injuries we may not see him again this season or in fact in the hoops again.

Comment

I'm not really that qualified to comment having only watched the games shown on tv but I see the point being made. At times against Sheff.U it looked like we were under immense pressure with last gasp blocks, saves, ref decisions and bad misses coming to our rescue. I've noticed this in other games as well and wondered wether we were riding our luck or just imagining that we were struggling defensively.

Comment

Got to agree somewhat....when we play teams that are quick on the break we struggle.....Watford being a perfect example....and I think we have riden our luck this season.......Paddy Kenny has been a rock though IMHO. I think we will get some defenders in to bolster our defence (strange to say even with our best defensive record in the league)!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark J View Post
          Got to agree somewhat....when we play teams that are quick on the break we struggle.....Watford being a perfect example....and I think we have riden our luck this season.......Paddy Kenny has been a rock though IMHO. I think we will get some defenders in to bolster our defence (strange to say even with our best defensive record in the league)!!

Based on the matches I have seen on telly I partly agree. But you also have got to take it into consideration that we sometimes are one short when we are taken on the break(Taraabt doesnt always,lol., track back):pleasantsuprise:
          QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
            By some very bad finishing I mean?

OK, so after nearly 40 games statistics don't lie. From the goalkeeper through to the full backs and the four centre halves we have been using on and off they have all received massive credit for maintaining the best "goals against" tally in the football league - and rightly so.

BUT. Its not just Claridge who has made the point that we often look vulnerable. He highlighted all the chances Cardif had against us but even against the bottom club on Monday night they had at least three golden opportunities. I don't think we were ever in danger of dropping points against the Blades because even if we'd have let in a couple of goals I think we could easily have stepped up another gear in the second half and bagged another couple ourselves. However, against more clinical strikers next season I do worry we will be punished. This in turn will force Faurlin and Derry (or whoever replaces him) to play deeper, thus cutting off service to Tabs and Routledge who may or may not track back as much as is needed.

I'm not saying "panic" because our defence can only be expected to deal with what is put in front of it and it has done superbly this season. But while we are all agreed more or less about what we need in attacking areas I don't think any of us really has a sense of how we will do at the back. We cd go to places like Anfield and really surprise some people by managing to shut up shop; equally, its not inconceiveable that we cd ship in quite a lot of goals. While I think its fairly clear Warno will buy a couple of strikers in the close season it will be v interesting to see whether he goes stick or twist with the back line.

Pretty much a yes, but we have ridden our luck well, plus one of the main culprits has been sussed and dropped.
            They seek him here.................

Comment

I tend to agree with you SIAL and have mentioned this several times to the guys who sit near me in S.A Rd.
              Virtually every game the R's defenders seem to make last ditch tackles,blocks and interceptions and put their bodies on the line to keep us where we are in the league and to preserve our remarkable clean sheet record. It amazes me that we seem to do this time and time again and you wonder how and if they can keep it up.Only in the 4 defeats aginst Watford,Leeds,Norwich and Millwall have our boys defending really been breached.
              Quite how they will handle it next season remains to be seen.

Comment

But on the flip side, against Sheffield utd for example, the defence dealt with everything they threw at us. Paddy hardly had a save to make. And its been like that all season. I do agree though that the prem is a going to be a lot harder and we will probably need to strengthen.
                Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                Pawel Wszolek - 6
                Luke Freeman - 6
                Matt Smith - 6
                Ebere Eze - 4
                Joel Lynch - 3
                Tomer Hemed - 3
                Toni Leistner - 2
                Massimo Luongo- 2
                Angel Rangel - 2
                Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                Geoff Cameron - 1
                Aramide Oteh - 1
                Jake Bidwell - 1
                Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

in any game of football the opposition are always going to create chances,its how you prevent them scoring that makes a good defender & good defensive unit. our defence whoever has played aint been lucky just proffesional imo by throwing themselves at the ball,with blocks n general gd play. of course we will need to add a couple of defenders but i do hope they are of the same ilk we already have albeit a bit more classier.

Comment

Bump

Comment

I dont know how to put it; but we indeed have a good team of last ditch tackles!!

And we are far better to cover our sticks on corners. This little "detail" has improved 100 percent under Warnock.
                      QPR
                      Best team in the world
                      Sort of

Comment

Not after today performance!
                        Games until premiership end:35
                        current position:12th

Comment

Interesting that Micky Adams said from a coaching point of view, defensively we will give teams chances.

I think we've done terrific in defence but no denying Kenny has been instrumental in that.

We should stick with the same two centre backs unless of injuries though
                          ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                          THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Working...
                          X