What We Really Need For Premier League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What We Really Need For Premier League

I have been reading with interest and some surprise the threads about who we would need next season to do well. Some of the players touted are no better than excellent Championship players or decent players who are at relegation threatened clubs this season in the Premier League.

Obviously Walker would be a fantastic buy (I can't see it happening) and maybe Doyle, but what we really need are two proven Premier League strikers, a proven, possibly ex-England central standard central midfielder, and the same with a centre half. Also, both full back positions need looking at, and we could either go the route of a Walker type full back and attack teams, or be defensive. Personally I would prefer to attack teams from full back positions.

Anyway, without having a spine in the team of real experience and quality, we will struggle I think. I am not saying ditch the lads who have done so well, I am saying ditch the squad players from this season and create more quality cover and competition.

The type (not necessarily these actual ones) of players we need in my opinion are Phil Neville, Michael Owen, Wayne Bridge etc...

Put them with some of our best players, plus a couple of talented youngsters who are great on the ball (Walker, O'Hara, maybe some talent from overseas) and we have a much better chance. I just think we need 2-4 real Premier class experienced players who would give it 100%.

Mat Mills, Grant Holt etc - totally unproven at Premier Level and not better than what we have I don't think. I'd prefer Heidar over Holt.

Anyway, isn't it great that we are talking about this kind of thing! Whoever we get, it proves to be an exciting summer and season (as long as we don't mess it up now!)

Stedders agree with you about the need for a wise head -McLintoch, Currie, Wilkins, Reid: top players at the end of their career have often had a new lease of life at Rangers and given us real leadership.

BUT think you have to lower your expectations. The wages now for these big names have grown so astronomical that a club with 18,000 capacity just can't compete for them. Bridge would probably be earning three or four times what Tabs is on for instance.

Comment

Owen was finished years ago.
      They seek him here.................

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
        BUT think you have to lower your expectations. The wages now for these big names have grown so astronomical that a club with 18,000 capacity just can't compete for them. Bridge would probably be earning three or four times what Tabs is on for instance.
        We will have largely the same players we have now next season, with a few additions from the bargain basement. We will be following the Burnley and Blackpool business model, where we will actually make money form the Premier League, so I agree expectations or marque signings need to be lowered.

Comment

I understand about wages, but if these players are out of contract or not playing at their teams, the types we would want are ones who would take a pay cut to come and play a prominent role at a club like QPR. If we can find another Wilkins that would be gold.

I don't know if Michael Owen is finished, but I mean someone like that, not necessarily him. How about another Owen... Hargreaves (if fit)?

Anyway, we really do need Premier League standard leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by Stedders View Post
            I understand about wages, but if these players are out of contract or not playing at their teams, the types we would want are ones who would take a pay cut to come and play a prominent role at a club like QPR. If we can find another Wilkins that would be gold.

I don't know if Michael Owen is finished, but I mean someone like that, not necessarily him. How about another Owen... Hargreaves (if fit)?

Anyway, we really do need Premier League standard leaders.
            If you can find a big name Premier League player in the modern game who will cheerfully take a 75% pay cut for the supposed honour of playing for QPR then you would deserve to be made honourary life president.

Comment

If you can find a big name Premier League player in the modern game who will cheerfully take a 75% pay cut for the supposed honour of playing for QPR then you would deserve to be made honourary life president.
              Ha yeah. I think a lot of these players realise they won't be earning that amount in their next contract if they haven't made themselves first team regulars where they are, or if they are coming to a certain age. We'll see. But yes I get your point!

Comment

Stedders I agree with your idea in general. In our first season, we should start with a couple of proven premier league players to provide the needed exprience and settle the team, but doubt that Owen would be on of them as Scarlet Pimple said.
                QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

Lee Boywer is available free in summer....& how about bid for Heskey..if wigan could afford him surely we could

Comment

a fit jimmy bullard would do a good job.
                    and stress the word fit.

Comment

Originally posted by 2bobrob View Post
                      a fit jimmy bullard would do a good job.
                      and stress the word fit.
                      Bullard never is or will be fit.

His knees are gone and even at this level he can only play an hour trotting around in a quarterback role.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post

His knees are gone and even at this level he can only play an hour trotting around in a quarterback role.
                        Maybe, but still looked the best player on the pitch for an hour when Ispwich played us.

Comment

Maybe, but still looked the best player on the pitch for an hour when Ispwich played us.
                          And Taarabt looks world class at this level too...

Premier League is a whole new ballgame.

Comment

But Bullard, unlike Tabs, has proved it in the Premier League too. His ability isn't in doubt - its his fitness we would have to be sure of but think that would come down to people better medically qualified than us.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post

Can't pass a medical anywhere. Insurance would be a nightmare

Comment

Working...
                              X