Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QPR mulls move to TV Centre as BBC plots sale to developer

From The Independent

Wondering whether this rumour will re-emerge.

North-west London football club Queens Park Rangers is drawing up plans to move to a new, purpose-built, larger stadium on the BBC's Television Centre site in West London.

The QPR board is discussing various options for the future of the club, which is currently based nearby in Loftus Road, and is planning a move within three to five years.

The plans are at an early stage but QPR has held informal discussions with its local council, Hammersmith and Fulham, which supports a move within the borough to the BBC site.

The move would be just half a mile and will not prove controversial with fans, unlike other potential football relocations such as West Ham's possible switch from Upton Park to the Olympic stadium after 2012.

Both the ambition and financial ability of QPR to plan a new stadium is clear. It has been topping the Championship table; Neil Warnock's team remain the only side in the Championship not to have lost a game this season. If the club was promoted to the Premiership this year, its desire for a new stadium could step up a gear.

The club is part-owned by the billionaire Mittal family and racing driver entrepreneurs Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone. Briatore and Ecclestone are widely reported to be selling their stakes; Vijay Mallya, the United Breweries ty**** and Kingfisher beer owner, has been in the frame, but a deal has not yet materialised.

Loftus Road, which has been QPR's home for more than 90 years, holds 18,000 fans, and a new stadium would be planned with a 35,000 capacity.

The 15-acre TV Centre site was put up for sale by the BBC through property agent Lambert Smith Hampton last week. The BBC is structuring the sale as a joint venture. A developer would be selected to build a scheme that could include up to a million square feet of offices, shops and leisure. As a joint venture partner, the BBC would get a share in any future profits.

The council, which has already drawn up a long-term masterplan for the area, said: "It is hoped that the BBC building and the wider area will attract new media and arts companies – forming a new cultural quarter called Creative London. In addition, thousands of new homes will be built."
    Last edited by acricketer; 14-03-2011, 12:50 PM.

Not excactly new news, that story was from dec 5th last year..
    We got our Ranger's back!

Comment

During the war.........

Comment

hahaha go on uncle albert
        I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Yes its old news...but has anyone got a update on it ?

Comment

Thought it worth dragging up again since capitalising on promotion should include a bigger ground.

Comment

Pointless

Comment

It won't happen
                Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                Pawel Wszolek - 6
                Luke Freeman - 6
                Matt Smith - 6
                Ebere Eze - 4
                Joel Lynch - 3
                Tomer Hemed - 3
                Toni Leistner - 2
                Massimo Luongo- 2
                Angel Rangel - 2
                Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                Geoff Cameron - 1
                Aramide Oteh - 1
                Jake Bidwell - 1
                Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

"North-west London football club Queens Park Rangers"

Do they know the post code is W12, not NW12 and Hillingdon on the A40 corridor, is the only sensible place to build a new, bigger stadium that will attract fans week in week out. There is so much potential from the surrounding areas, its scary.
                  Last edited by paulmason; 14-03-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Moving out to the suburbs on the A40 would kill the club,from being a West London team which is nearest to the West End we would become a Watford.

Extra support why,if you lived in Hillingdon surely you could now make it to Rangers as its hardly a 3 hour journey.

For every possible extra fan you may get i believe you would lose twice as many,i think you under estimate how many Rangers fans live in South and East London.

The journey out west for a lot of them would be one step to far.

Comment

They once a few years ago pined a map to see where most of the season ticket holders live and they found that most of them lived in the Hayes, Uxbridge, Northolt and Greenford areas.

Comment

I am sure that most of our season ticket holders do live out West,however they are already going to home games, it is the fans that live further away that would stop going.

Comment

Only unbeaten side in the league....

I stopped reading there...

Comment

To be honest i stopped reading after it said 'north west london'

Comment

I think it' a goer, there is far too much unoccupied office space so give LR to housing and we move into the beeb, 30,000 stadium, plenty of leg room and keeping our fantastic west london location, bring it on
                              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                              This morning's tempest I have to cross
                              I must be guided without a stumble
                              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Working...
                              X