I hope the Connolly/Gorrks argument is put to bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet pimple View Post
    conners and gorks were a disaster waiting to happen, how we have kept so many clean sheets with those two is beyond comprehension, the amount of times either one was turned in matches this season and we got away with it is unbelieveable.....a mixture of bad finishing by the opposition and luck on our side that we did not concede a lot more goals, imo.
    I think "disaster" may be overdoing it just a little, but I do agree with your point. HammersmithR also makes some very valid points which statistically speaking can be fully backed up, but I too feel we have "got away with it" on several occasions. However, Connolly and Gorkss this year have been far superior to what we have come to expect in recent years, so I'm just going to be grateful for that. Shittu last night though, what a performance. Totally dominant at the back and a constant threat in the oppositions box, giving them plenty to worry about.

What a pleasant feeling though that we have those 4 as options compared to what some clubs have to make do with.

Fortunately, it now seems like a lifetime away, that whatever manager we had in that particular month, had to concern themselves as to wether to play Gary Borrowdale or Matt Hill.

Comment

I'm talking about what i saw with my own eye's, i dont wear rose tinted glasses, what they tell me is both gorks and conners are slow, cant turn fast enough, but both are good in the air, and both have a tendancy to switch off during games.

When both or either are not under pressure they tend to LOOK GOOD.

What and Shittu doesn't switch off in games??? Do me a favour! He had many a 'Damion Stewart' moment in League One. You should have been there!

Shittu like a lot of players with his build get away with a lot because of their strength. It covers their flaws.

Shittu certainly cannot read a game as well as Gorks and Connolly. Certainly his distribution is not as good! Big part of football these days. Look at all the top sides in Europe. All their centre halves are good on the ball and have a lovely touch. Shittu is an old fashioned English type player. Good luck to him. He'll get found out sooner or later and you'll be moaning about him again!

I just give you facts.
      First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
        I think "disaster" may be overdoing it just a little, but I do agree with your point. HammersmithR also makes some very valid points which statistically speaking can be fully backed up, but I too feel we have "got away with it" on several occasions. However, Connolly and Gorkss this year have been far superior to what we have come to expect in recent years, so I'm just going to be grateful for that. Shittu last night though, what a performance. Totally dominant at the back and a constant threat in the oppositions box, giving them plenty to worry about.

What a pleasant feeling though that we have those 4 as options compared to what some clubs have to make do with.

Fortunately, it now seems like a lifetime away, that whatever manager we had in that particular month, had to concern themselves as to wether to play Gary Borrowdale or Matt Hill.

Stats are not supposed to lie, but in this case a bending of the truth i fear.
        They seek him here.................

Comment

I say, let warnock decide, afterall it is he who has taken us this far, not the pity arguments and uber superstitious associated beliefs found within this forumboard.

Comment

Ok can we at least agree Neil Warnock's decision was the correct one last night?

And now it is up to him to decide who is the better pairing.

Personally I feel he only played the 2 big lads to counter Ipswich's very strong 2 front men so he may revert back to KG & MC for Boro who knows.

Nothing to moan about we're lucky to have 4 decent CB's.

Comment

Originally posted by HammersmithR View Post
              What and Shittu doesn't switch off in games??? Do me a favour! He had many a 'Damion Stewart' moment in League One. You should have been there!

Shittu like a lot of players with his build get away with a lot because of their strength. It covers their flaws.

Shittu certainly cannot read a game as well as Gorks and Connolly. Certainly his distribution is not as good! Big part of football these days. Look at all the top sides in Europe. All their centre halves are good on the ball and have a lovely touch. Shittu is an old fashioned English type player. Good luck to him. He'll get found out sooner or later and you'll be moaning about him again!

I just give you facts.

He's been found out, thats why he's now playing in the championship and not in the prem, maby warnocks trying to pre-empt what he fears may happen when continuing with the gorks conners partnership, their are even people saying that conners can play midfield......rubbish.

I'm not saying connors or gorkks have not had their good games .....they have.....but i tend to watch those two and how many times we have got out of jail through luck with them.

Comment

Gorrks is the worst ball playing centre half at the club Hammersmith , his left foot is awful..

TEll me how many times did shittu boom it yesterday??? ONCE i recall which was a attack saving tackle..

Please stop calling me fickle as well, I have followed the team home and away for 27 years and only missed maybe 5-7 home games in that time, so I have a more than valid opinion.

Gorrks is a liability currently, Connolly is struggling curently. The right changes have been made and proven right by a storming performance and clean sheet against a form side!!
                Wheres the problem??

Comment

Stats are not supposed to lie, but in this case a bending of the truth i fear.
                  A little harsh in my view.

Shittu and Hall were faultless last night and I feel we looked far more comfortable compared to recent games. However, despite being pleased with them, it was just one game so far, whereas the other 2 have put in some great performances too.

Massive gamble by NW last night. If it had gone wrong he would have got slaughtered. Have to say though, it paid off. Looked much better.

Hopefully he can now attend to the matter of teaching strikers how to strike. Perhaps he could start by not playing them out wide when we have personnell that can do that job a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                    A little harsh in my view.

Shittu and Hall were faultless last night and I feel we looked far more comfortable compared to recent games. However, despite being pleased with them, it was just one game so far, whereas the other 2 have put in some great performances too.

Massive gamble by NW last night. If it had gone wrong he would have got slaughtered. Have to say though, it paid off. Looked much better.

Hopefully he can now attend to the matter of teaching strikers how to strike. Perhaps he could start by not playing them out wide when we have personnell that can do that job a lot better.

Not directing that at anybody m8, its the amount of clean sheets we have kept.
                    If you only went by the fact that we have kept around 17 clean sheets then we have the best two centre halves in the league in gorkks and conners.

The 17 clean sheets is a fact as hammersmith as rightly pointed out.
                    But the amount of times we have had luck on our side in quite a lot of those has been amazing.

As i have said in another post, bad finishing by championship strikers has more than help with a more than healthy dose of luck.

Comment

This is boring.

All 4 are top top players at this level.

Comment

Not directing that at anybody m8, its the amount of clean sheets we have kept.
                        If you only went by the fact that we have kept around 17 clean sheets then we have the best two centre halves in the league in gorkks and conners.

The 17 clean sheets is a fact as hammersmith as rightly pointed out.
                        But the amount of times we have had luck on our side in quite a lot of those has been amazing.

As i have said in another post, bad finishing by championship strikers has more than help with a more than healthy dose of luck.
                        Imagine how lucky some of opponents must be feeling !!

Comment

I personally think Shittu is better then Kasper and would have Shittu ahead of him every match when fit. Comments of look at the top European teams having ball players is nonsense. Were not a top European team; were not even a top premier league team, were a championship team looking to get promoted and Shittu at our stage of development does exactly what is needed.

It was a massive decision for Warnock to drop his two centre backs with their record this season, not just massive but brave as had we conceded or lost he would have been murdered by the many on this board for changing a proven formula. Personally I think the change was needed as although we have not conceded many I never sit easy and comfortable thinking were solid, we give chances and look like we have the ability to concede however for numerous reasons we have not, more through luck then judgement in my humble opinion.

The defence looked solid last night, as solid as any other time this season, so I would keep it the same for Saturday

Comment

What some of the more sensible fans saw last night.

Comment

Is this a good time to mention I saw big Dan wearing a spurs shirt in westfields today

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
                                Gorrks is the worst ball playing centre half at the club Hammersmith , his left foot is awful..

TEll me how many times did shittu boom it yesterday??? ONCE i recall which was a attack saving tackle..

Please stop calling me fickle as well, I have followed the team home and away for 27 years and only missed maybe 5-7 home games in that time, so I have a more than valid opinion.

Gorrks is a liability currently, Connolly is struggling curently. The right changes have been made and proven right by a storming performance and clean sheet against a form side!!
                                Wheres the problem??
                                How can they both be struggling when they have conceded the least amount of goals out of the 92 English professional teams?

Any defence gets a bit of luck over a season, but for 31 games I don't think so, certainly not for 17 clean sheets!

I hope Shittu does well like any Ranger player, but don't tell me Shittu is better ball playing centre half than Shittu.

Shittu is a big and strong and plays within his limitations. If he was good enough for the Prem he would still be there.

I said you were fickle because people like you believe in all this kissing the badge stuff. If you and me did it, it would be fine as we've followed Rangers all our life.

Shittu was not born Rangers. He didn't follow the club and down the land like I have done all my life.

And this will make you happy............gospel truth.........the Shittu song that you were belting out last night was actually started by my good self and a couple of others (lad who posts on another board) away at Tranmere one evening game about 6-7 years ago! The days when we were truly awful!

There was about 200 of us there that night. They're the fans who if we get promoted it will mean so much to. We were there in the dark days.
                                First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

Working...
                                X