I hope the Connolly/Gorrks argument is put to bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
    Tonight Danny Shittu was immense. He gave us everything we have been missing. A dominant, fearless, brute of a centre half. Bossed Scotland and wickham from the start.
    I was worried if powder puff Connolly Played he would have been muscled out the game by wickham, and was so glad to see big dan on the starting team sheet.
    I was surprised he axes Gorrks too but fitz let no one down.
    I think tonight also showed that the mean defensive record is down mainly to the likes of Hill, Kenny and Derry , not Gorrks and conning, as Shittu was an absolute rock and we didn't miss them at all.Welcome back big man and love the badge kissing at the end to the fans too!!!
    Only one match Gorkks and Connolly have been rock solid all season.

Comment

Originally posted by The White City General View Post
      Only one match Gorkks and Connolly have been rock solid all season.
      Funny that when they have the best centre half record out of all 92 professional teams this season.

Now, that is a FACT.
      First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

to be fair i dont know how the connolly gorks pairing has lasted this long with their record this season.

Comment

Thought it was a bit harsh to drop Gorkss and Connoly. But, they must be buckling under enormous physical/mental pressure of playing virtualy 2 games a week for weeks/months on end - maybe it makes sense to rest/rotate them a bit. Ultimately I'm happy to have plenty of choices at CB; seems we're now well equipped to deal with all types of strikers from little nippy ones to big ugly ones too.

Comment

maybe they both needed a rest eh, must knacker you physically and mentally being that vital to the table toppers promotion bid.

Comment

Can we at least all agree that Danny Shittu is the number 1 centre half at the club and 1 of the other will partner him for the remainder of the season. Probably Connolly as he is better on the ball than others.

Yes??

Comment

My personal preference would be a Conners/Shittu combo.

I respect Hammersmith's opinion as he watches us home and away. However I do feel his criticism of Shittu is harsh. I dont buy his argument that the CBs only looked good because Ipswich were in his opinion poor. Ipswich are in good form and have talented attacking players like Wickham, Bullard and Scotland who were kept quiet apart from a short spell in the 1st half. I also think its fair of Neil to give the likes of Hall and Shittu a chance, especially with Gorkks and Conners understandably tiring a little of late.

It was a decision he made that paid off because they'd looked good as a pair in training and the reserve game. Think about it - If he hadn't done it we'd all be none the wiser of our options.

Comment

Glad to see this one has been put to bed though
                  Your mum would love me...

Comment

Can we at least all agree that Danny Shittu is the number 1 centre half at the club and 1 of the other will partner him for the remainder of the season. Probably Connolly as he is better on the ball than others.

Yes??
                    How can he be the number one centre half when he's played one game, whereas the others have played the whole season and contributed to being the best centre halves out of all 92 teams with their performance and record.

No way would we have conceded so few goals had Shittu been at the heart fo defence for the season.

You wait...........he'll be like Damion Stewart........Bobby Moore one minute and then Zesh Rehman the next...........Gorks and Connolly are both consistent with their performances............just look at their record..........FACT
                    First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

He has totally written off Ipswich as a team that are nothing, and we should walk over.
                      Ipswich hut 6 in their last away game, have been playing very well.
                      Had the best midfielder on the park in Bullard and Wickham and Scotland are a handful...

I have nothing against HAmmersmith but he himself has admitted KG needed to be dropped, but I cannot understand his issue wwith a Rangers boy through and through like Big Dan.
                      He's not Rangers through and through. Did he follow us when he grew up? I'm Rangers through and through. They're my local club who I have followed up and down the country all my life.

He had a couple of good seasons with us and you seem to think he is Bobby Moore!

Shittu as someone pointed out was kissing his badge at Watford. Don't fall for that tripe. Only fickle fans do.

Comment

conners and gorks were a disaster waiting to happen, how we have kept so many clean sheets with those two is beyond comprehension, the amount of times either one was turned in matches this season and we got away with it is unbelieveable.....a mixture of bad finishing by the opposition and luck on our side that we did not concede a lot more goals, imo.
                        They seek him here.................

Comment

Shi.ttu genuinely loves this club. Anyone can see it.

Our fans really don't realise how lucky we are to have the 4 centre backs (plus Hill) that we currently have.

All 4 are top, top notch at this level IMO.

Comment

well

well said scarlet you lovely boy shittu is the best center half in england by a country mile
                            Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet pimple View Post
                              conners and gorks were a disaster waiting to happen, how we have kept so many clean sheets with those two is beyond comprehension, the amount of times either one was turned in matches this season and we got away with it is unbelieveable.....a mixture of bad finishing by the opposition and luck on our side that we did not concede a lot more goals, imo.
                              Can't be a bad record after 31 games and the best in the land???

Seem to think they did well against sides like Swansea, Cardiff, Notts Forest etc.

Oh well.........let's not talk about facts.

If Shittu was that good he'd still be with Bolton or be with another Premiership club when he was released last summer.

He was that good........he had to join a club that had just got promoted from League 1! Just giving you facts.

Comment

Originally posted by HammersmithR View Post
                                Can't be a bad record after 31 games and the best in the land???

Seem to think they did well against sides like Swansea, Cardiff, Notts Forest etc.

Oh well.........let's not talk about facts.

If Shittu was that good he'd still be with Bolton or be with another Premiership club when he was released last summer.

He was that good........he had to join a club that had just got promoted from League 1! Just giving you facts.

I'm talking about what i saw with my own eye's, i dont wear rose tinted glasses, what they tell me is both gorks and conners are slow, cant turn fast enough, but both are good in the air, and both have a tendancy to switch off during games.

When both or either are not under pressure they tend to LOOK GOOD.
                                They seek him here.................

Comment

Working...
                                X