How many more points...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many more points...

The average points for the team finishing in 3rd place over the past 10 seasons is 81. But this is just an average meaning that teams have accumulated more and fewer than this. For instance Forest finished 3rd last season with 79 points, Sheffield United were 3rd in 08/09 with 80 points and Hull came 3rd in 07/08 with 75 points. Before that the teams have finished in 3rd with 84 (Derby), 81 (Watford), 85 (Ipswich), 79 (Sunderland), 80 (Sheffield United), 86 (Wolves), 87 (Bolton).

So in fact only four of the 10 teams finishing 3rd ended with more than 81 points and two of those teams Wolves and Bolton finished 3rd nine and 10 years ago and the norm since has been a much lower points total. If you take a quick look at my signature you'll see what the 10 year average is after 31 matches and although many (even maybe myself included) think it could be a high scoring season it's pretty much average (or even slighty below). Even if Forest win their game in hand that would push Cardiff into 3rd with 55 points but Forest would be nearly three points behind the average and we're already four points behind it.

If we're heading for a typically average season and not a mad mass of points which has been previously predicted then 3rd place should finish with around 81/82 points. This weekend we see four teams (Cardiff, Forest, Leeds and Norwich) all of whom can't pick up points and even if Cardiff and Norwich were to win they'd still have an average points total. All in all it's going to take a big run from at least three teams to push this season's final totals anywhere near that of 2000-2002. The loss ratio of the top 4 is slightly lower than that of last year hence why I think it will be slightly higher than the 79 points last year. The win ratio though is also lower than that of the top 4. Newcastle had a 65% win ratio, Cardiff and us have just 51% in comparison. Norwich's win ratio this season (which will be the same as Forest's if they win their game in hand) is just 0.6% more than Forest when they finish 3rd last year.

So what does all of this mean? Well if ratios, points totals and all the other stuff are basically average then we (who already need 5 points fewer than Cardiff) could require just another 22 points. I'd still want 25 (45 would be lovely) but 25 with our goal difference should be enough especially if we don't lose at Cardiff. Since January 1st we've averaged 1.625 points per game that averaged over the next 15 games is 24 points. We've not even be playing that well so if we improve only slightly then we should have enough with a couple of games to spare.

BUT as we've already seen this season Cardiff and Swansea have lost twice to teams in the bottom six, Norwich lost at home to Palace, Forest lost to Scunny and Leeds lost that amazing game against Preston. We will probably lose to a team we expect to beat. We will lose again this season maybe even a couple of times but we need just one more goal that the team in 3rd. It might end up being tight but I'd rather have our opposition and our points tally than anyone else in this division.

Just remember even if we lose eight and win seven we will finish with 81 points, which is more than Forest last season and more than Sheffield United before than and more than Hull before that. Feel free to vent if we lose tomorrow but put things into perspective before you do so. All the teams around us have lost to teams in the bottom six so if we do lose we'll still be top at the end of the weekend. It will still be in our hands.

Nice one SPC, glad to see you back with the real stats, all these imposters trying to hit us with everything we already know mainly from you, (but trying to fool us by re wording them).

There's only one SPC.
    Queens Park Rangers
    NPower Champions 2010/2011

PREMIER LEAGUE 2011 - ETERNITY (Oh well got that wrong, we'll be back though)

Comment

Interesting as always SPC. And this is not to disagree with you, but I have to say any team that fancies itself as auto promoted (or deserves to be) has to spank the bottom club. So failure tomorrow is a big deal. It'd mean we have to pick up points against better teams.

And whilst true up to a point that it remains in our own hands if we lose it does also gift Cardiff the opportunity to overtake us by beating us at theirs. If we win, even that wouldn't help them.

I just watched the "highlights" of the Watfrod PNE game again. Dreadful. And that was a highlight for them. If we can't beat them we almost don't deserve to go up. They are also the worst team I have seen at LR for a long time. I expect and demand nothing short of annihilation of them tomorrow. We owe them that as well.

Comment

SP great post and good read as ever, but whenever I read your posts as much as I like them and they shoulf fill us with confidence (being on track and that); 2 things still worry me.

1) This season is freaky, I think Averages go out the window as everyone beats everyone and there is no "run away leader" as in normal years , even if you take an average.

2) Even though we are bang on track for promotion, I just cant get past the fact that this is, and we are QPR....It just never happens the easy way..

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
          SP great post and good read as ever, but whenever I read your posts as much as I like them and they shoulf fill us with confidence (being on track and that); 2 things still worry me.

1) This season is freaky, I think Averages go out the window as everyone beats everyone and there is no "run away leader" as in normal years , even if you take an average.

2) Even though we are bang on track for promotion, I just cant get past the fact that this is, and we are QPR....It just never happens the easy way..

1) Arguably though every season is freaky. It will be tight though but those points against Derby, Pompey away, Reading away and even Forest at home (they were the form team) could potentially be the difference. They could be massive. I'm going to say it will be pretty average (or just below) and go with this:

Champions:89
          2nd place:84
          3rd place:82

2) Totally understand but this is a different QPR. No member of this squad or management team was part of the past. Those ghosts in the closet are gone. We're going up!

Comment

Win these next 2 and I think you'll be able to put the stats away.
            The home straight with the wind in our sails, been a big week for us so far!

Comment

I think 25 points more would get us up

Comment

Good interesting stats.

Comment

i think we will have promtion secured before we play watford and leeds
                  This isnt just goodbye,this is i cant stand you!

Comment

Great stats SPC. Think we'll secure promotion at home to Hull Easter Monday but lose the next couple and finish just short of Cardiff
                    22nd February away v Charlton is the 40th Anniversary of my support of QPR and my first game. Away v Chelsea 3-3 23rd Feb 1974. 40 years of pure magic!!

Comment

A great read sirpie, you must have done plenty of research.

Comment

Sjoke - came 2nd with 79 pts! Spawney buggers.
                        I've given up fretting -I've decided that it's in the bag. Sirpie's analysis is factual and calm; hopefully it'll reaasure paeople. I do wonder why if we were say, 9th or something with 15 pts less than we have now, virtually everyone would be thinking let's get on a little 4-game streak and then push on for automatic promotion. It's bizarre that we're ahead of the pack but some bods are seemingly doing "reverse calculations" and forecasting where we'll be after a 4-game duff streak or losing this/that game???

Comment

24 more point we up 27 title ours. So 8 win from 15 games

Comment

Working...
                          X