Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight at the top

Exciting promotion race, but Preston have a lot to do at the bottom

Any side in the top six of the Championship can claim an automatic promotion spot, Don Goodman told Sky Sports News.

League leaders QPR have a five-point gap over the chasing pack but, with only three points separating second-placed Cardiff and Leeds United in sixth, the fight for automatic promotion to the Premier League is far from over.

The Bluebirds missed out on a chance to strengthen their hold on second place when they drew at home to Burnley on Tuesday night, while in-form Nottingham Forest missed their opportunity of leap-frogging the Welsh side by suffering a shock-defeat to relegation-threatened Scunthorpe.

With things so tight at the top, Goodman admitted he was struggling to predict who will finish in the top two.

"This league is absolutely bananas," he said.

"QPR are obviously favourites for an automatic spot. They've got a five point cushion and it has been a great week for them as they avoided defeat to Nottingham Forest on Saturday and then saw Forest and Cardiff drop points during the mid-week games.

"But as for the rest of the teams - well you could toss a coin.

"It was certainly a blow for Forest to lose to Scunthorpe on Wednesday. They had the chance to go second and didn't take it but, nevertheless, they've been in good form. Good teams bounce back from a bad result and I'd expect Nottingham Forest to be able to do just that.

"Meanwhile, Dave Jones' Cardiff don't seem to be finding the back of the net as regularly as they were at the start of the season.

"But all the teams up there have shown they are capable of going on fantastic runs, winning four or five games on the trot.

"We are getting down to the nitty-gritty and now it comes down to mettle. How strong are the characters you've got? How many leaders have you got? They are all capable teams."

At the other end of the table Goodman feels matters are less complicated for basement boys Preston - who threw away a two goal lead against Watford - while he is backing his old club Sheffield United to escape the relegation zone.

"It is going to be really tough for Preston now," Goodman told Sky Sports News.

"Losing a two goal lead, at this stage of the season, when you're already playing catch up, is such a body blow. Things haven't been going their way, they can't buy a win and I do think it is going to be a long, hard slog for them.

"Certainly they need to pick up sooner rather than later to give themselves any chance.

"Sheffield United? I think they will turn things around. You need that little bit of luck if you're going to survive and I think, at some stage between now and the end of the season, they'll pick up. They've got a fantastic support and I think they'll just about survive. But it'll be tough!"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...757105,00.html

Its that Scunthorpe victory that's got me twitchy, all the bottom sides now have nothing to lose, these games are harder than playing a fellow play off contender

Comment

its a whole lot less tighter than it could of been after tues and weds.

Comment

I going to spend the next two months behind the sofa !!!

Comment

QPR "avoided defeat" to Forest ? wotta load of cobblers

Comment

Couldn't agree more AVOID DEFEAT what game were they watching never troubled in the 2nd half they headed one of the line but we really should have won the game

Comment

Originally posted by paulmason View Post
              Exciting promotion race, but Preston have a lot to do at the bottom

Any side in the top six of the Championship can claim an automatic promotion spot, Don Goodman told Sky Sports News.

League leaders QPR have a five-point gap over the chasing pack but, with only three points separating second-placed Cardiff and Leeds United in sixth, the fight for automatic promotion to the Premier League is far from over.

The Bluebirds missed out on a chance to strengthen their hold on second place when they drew at home to Burnley on Tuesday night, while in-form Nottingham Forest missed their opportunity of leap-frogging the Welsh side by suffering a shock-defeat to relegation-threatened Scunthorpe.

With things so tight at the top, Goodman admitted he was struggling to predict who will finish in the top two.

"This league is absolutely bananas," he said.

"QPR are obviously favourites for an automatic spot. They've got a five point cushion and it has been a great week for them as they avoided defeat to Nottingham Forest on Saturday and then saw Forest and Cardiff drop points during the mid-week games.

"But as for the rest of the teams - well you could toss a coin.

"It was certainly a blow for Forest to lose to Scunthorpe on Wednesday. They had the chance to go second and didn't take it but, nevertheless, they've been in good form. Good teams bounce back from a bad result and I'd expect Nottingham Forest to be able to do just that.

"Meanwhile, Dave Jones' Cardiff don't seem to be finding the back of the net as regularly as they were at the start of the season.

"But all the teams up there have shown they are capable of going on fantastic runs, winning four or five games on the trot.

"We are getting down to the nitty-gritty and now it comes down to mettle. How strong are the characters you've got? How many leaders have you got? They are all capable teams."

At the other end of the table Goodman feels matters are less complicated for basement boys Preston - who threw away a two goal lead against Watford - while he is backing his old club Sheffield United to escape the relegation zone.

"It is going to be really tough for Preston now," Goodman told Sky Sports News.

"Losing a two goal lead, at this stage of the season, when you're already playing catch up, is such a body blow. Things haven't been going their way, they can't buy a win and I do think it is going to be a long, hard slog for them.

"Certainly they need to pick up sooner rather than later to give themselves any chance.

"Sheffield United? I think they will turn things around. You need that little bit of luck if you're going to survive and I think, at some stage between now and the end of the season, they'll pick up. They've got a fantastic support and I think they'll just about survive. But it'll be tough!"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...757105,00.html
              Paul, looks like I should have listened to your sarcastic advice to put some money on scunny beating forest! :drunk:

Comment

Originally posted by winalotto View Post
                Its that Scunthorpe victory that's got me twitchy, all the bottom sides now have nothing to lose, these games are harder than playing a fellow play off contender
                Disagree!!

Give me a team in the bottom 3 any day over a team in the top 9 or so at this stage .

After 30 odd games into a season the teams at the bottom are there for a reason ...THEY ARE CRAP !!

I don't buy into the myth 'Their battling for their lives '

If they're not good enough for the 1st 30 games why should they be good enough for the next 16 !!

Yes you do get freak results and you cannot legislate for that ... I'm sure Forest would rather have been going to Scunny the other night than going to say Burnley , Leicester , hull etc

Comment

...apart from their Championship status?!!

Comment

Not true yet. But in about 10 games (maybe less for some) we (and all our promotion rivals) will indeed start to play teams with nothing to play for a results will then get even less predictable. Our run in looks set to include a good few teams that are likely to be in the shake up which may be tricky - Watford and Leeds will almost certainly care quite a lot for example. But same for all.

Comment

Originally posted by maddix View Post
                      Disagree!!

Give me a team in the bottom 3 any day over a team in the top 9 or so at this stage .

After 30 odd games into a season the teams at the bottom are there for a reason ...THEY ARE CRAP !!

I don't buy into the myth 'Their battling for their lives '

If they're not good enough for the 1st 30 games why should they be good enough for the next 16 !!

Yes you do get freak results and you cannot legislate for that ... I'm sure Forest would rather have been going to Scunny the other night than going to say Burnley , Leicester , hull etc
                      Summed up perfectly

Comment

I going to spend the next two months behind the sofa !!!

I do absolutly agree on that one!!:pleasantsuprise:
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

Comment

it is tight indeed!

Comment

Stanley75 is spot on.

hopefully by the time we play Watford they cannot make the Play offs. Would make the game much easier, same goes for Hull City game
                            ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                            THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Working...
                            X