Matt Connolly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet pimple View Post
    Dont agree, neither center backs will be good enough for us if we make it too the prem, we'll get sloughtered with Gorkks and conners imo.
    If we are to re-build even the most successful part of our team (which without doubt the evidence shows is Kenny/Gorkss/Connoley) they we will need to replace the lot of course. Just saying.....

Comment

Originally posted by Youvebeenrangered View Post
      Totally agree. Very carm on the ball, he is our best defender.
      can play football on the deck at times but is no where near our best defender

Comment

For a start, id like to know of any forward who has bullied MC this season? If im correct the 'beasts' such as Kitson, Iwellumo, Bothroyd, Boyd etc have hardly had it easy against him?

Secondly, the reason MC has picked up bookings and sendings off is due to our style of play. We attack in numbers which even Warnock has pointed out leaves us vunerable at the back. Also if you watch, in the Gorkss, Connolly partnership, it is Gorkss who attacks the ball and MC who sweeps up behind. It has worked very well however when Gorkss attacks and doesnt win the ball it can leave MC in a one on one situation.

Booking against Portsmouth saved Kenny's blushes after a poor clearence.

Booking against Reading was a clever foul as he knows he isnt the quickest and when is better to take a player out? On the side line or in the area?

I am shocked this is even a subject of discussion, 17 clean sheets is unbelievable at this stage of the season. Only 12 or so games we have conceded any goals.

On the prem arguement, look at some of the defenders who have done a job at that level. Not exactly world beaters. Stearman? Craddock? Williamson? Bramble? A Ferdinand? The list goes on.

Just look at some of the 'prem' players who have come to us recently that have hardly set the world alight. Bent? Hill? Watson?

Comment

Originally posted by Voiceofreason View Post
          For a start, id like to know of any forward who has bullied MC this season? If im correct the 'beasts' such as Kitson, Iwellumo, Bothroyd, Boyd etc have hardly had it easy against him?

Secondly, the reason MC has picked up bookings and sendings off is due to our style of play. We attack in numbers which even Warnock has pointed out leaves us vunerable at the back. Also if you watch, in the Gorkss, Connolly partnership, it is Gorkss who attacks the ball and MC who sweeps up behind. It has worked very well however when Gorkss attacks and doesnt win the ball it can leave MC in a one on one situation.

Booking against Portsmouth saved Kenny's blushes after a poor clearence.

Booking against Reading was a clever foul as he knows he isnt the quickest and when is better to take a player out? On the side line or in the area?

I am shocked this is even a subject of discussion, 17 clean sheets is unbelievable at this stage of the season. Only 12 or so games we have conceded any goals.

On the prem arguement, look at some of the defenders who have done a job at that level. Not exactly world beaters. Stearman? Craddock? Williamson? Bramble? A Ferdinand? The list goes on.

Just look at some of the 'prem' players who have come to us recently that have hardly set the world alight. Bent? Hill? Watson?
          All of this. Your name does what it says.

Comment

last night, under pressure the WHOLE taem showed the world they could cut it in the prem.(apart from hulse)
            obviously we would need to strengthen, but every one of them players would deserve to be in the squad.

Comment

Connolly had a good game last night, but IMO he is not good enough for the Premier League.

Comment

Both Conners and Gorkks are fine against your big lumbering strikers you tend to get in the championship, put them up against the more nimble type of striker and they struggle........why..........because milk turns quicker.......dont get me wrong they have done well all considering this season cos they, are to a big extent helped by Derry and faurlin.

We have had a LOT of narrow escapes this season due to our defence having the turning circle of a BUS.
                They seek him here.................

Comment

I wouldnt say Conners exactly lacked pace.

The only reason why some think he wouldnt cut it in the prem is cos of his ectomorphic physique.

Comment

Matty has along with the rest of our defence have done fantastic. Remember we had KG and MC in our defence last season and on occasions they were cut to ribbons but with good coaching, good management and good team ethic we have turned things around.
                    Having a solid and long standing coaching and managerial team makes life much easier for the players. Having a different manager every 3 months isn't good for any one and MC along with the others are reaping the rewards of our current sensible approach.
                    I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Hands up who thought Ian evatt was a premiership defender?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley76 View Post
                        I wouldnt say Conners exactly lacked pace.

The only reason why some think he wouldnt cut it in the prem is cos of his ectomorphic physique.

I can think of many good defenders in the Prem who are top notch with similar physiques.

1. Terry
                        2. Vermalen
                        3. Koschelny
                        4. Skertel
                        5. Agger

And that's just from the top sides. You don't need to be built like a sh1t house to be a centre half.

You need intelligence and be good on the ball.

That's why Shittu who has all the attributes to be a top centre half didn't cut it in the Prem.

Connolly will do a top job in the Prem. If Wheater can go to the Prem for big money there is no reason why Connolly won't do a good job when he gets there because he is better than him.
                        First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

Spot on, Hammersmith.

Comment

Dont you lot think that being a defender under Warnock is a learning process? Anyway,I think so.
                            Although the learning curve for the players concerned at times must feel a bit steep, Historically, his assistant Keith Curle was a decent defender who obviously seems to have done something right at(?) the training-ground?
                            I dunno how Neil Warnock was considered as player but I should imagine he was labelled "no nonsens" either he was a midfielder or a defender??lol.
                            Bottomline 1) From the few Matches I have on telly,I think Matt Connolly as well as the rest of the defenders have adopted that style quite.
                            Arguebly, you can start a debate on wheter we hoof it or not, but thats not my cup of tea this time.
                            Bottomline 2)After years of poor and hesitant defending at this club,these days I must say I´m a happy bunny. It all about getting the ball out of dangerzone. Last sesons, the defenders sometimes played five a side in the same area. Goshhh.
                            Last edited by Shania; 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM. Reason: In a hurry as always.
                            QPR
                            Best team in the world
                            Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by HammersmithR View Post
                              I can think of many good defenders in the Prem who are top notch with similar physiques.

1. Terry
                              2. Vermalen
                              3. Koschelny
                              4. Skertel
                              5. Agger

And that's just from the top sides. You don't need to be built like a sh1t house to be a centre half.

You need intelligence and be good on the ball.

That's why Shittu who has all the attributes to be a top centre half didn't cut it in the Prem.

Connolly will do a top job in the Prem. If Wheater can go to the Prem for big money there is no reason why Connolly won't do a good job when he gets there because he is better than him.

Good post.

And just to ad; People seems to forget that Shittu struggled even at our level when he met strikers with smartness and mobilty in their play.
                              QPR
                              Best team in the world
                              Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet pimple View Post
                                Both Conners and Gorkks are fine against your big lumbering strikers you tend to get in the championship, put them up against the more nimble type of striker and they struggle........why..........because milk turns quicker.......dont get me wrong they have done well all considering this season cos they, are to a big extent helped by Derry and faurlin.

We have had a LOT of narrow escapes this season due to our defence having the turning circle of a BUS.
                                Please enlighten me on these nimble strikers who have had the better of them? Fryatt? Maclean? Long? Jackson?

Comment

Working...
                                X