Matt Connolly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Connolly

Hard to single anyone out but i thought the boy had a stormer, the best game ive seen him have, imo.
    Got booked and rightly so but sometimes a defender has to take one for the team.

I've always rated him, and I genuinely feel he'll do a job in the Prem for us.

Top performance.
    Your mum would love me...

Comment

At times this season he's looked a liability, giving away pens & sending offs and lucky not to have had the same against Cardiff with Bothroyd at the end. BUT what a performance last night, he won absolutely everything & looked the business.

16 clean sheets this season & 3 in a row now says it all.

Comment

Played well last night but disagree he could cut it in the Premiership. Poor positional sense, slow and too weak. Allows forwards to dominate him. Drogba would eat him for breakfast.
        :drunk:

Comment

Another top game. Big part of the reason why we have kept 16 clean sheets.

Very intelligent footballer. Doesn't waste possession. Shittu would just lump it!
          First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

Played well last night but disagree he could cut it in the Premiership. Poor positional sense, slow and too weak. Allows forwards to dominate him. Drogba would eat him for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by kingy10 View Post
              Even second time around, I still disagree with you in cutting it it the Prem.

And picking one of the most powerful forwards in world football isn't a fair way to try and judge that. Not many CB's have the better of him.
              Your mum would love me...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBoyRs View Post
                Even second time around, I still disagree with you in cutting it it the Prem.

And picking one of the most powerful forwards in world football isn't a fair way to try and judge that. Not many CB's have the better of him.
                He has cost us numerous goals this season. Look at the Marlon King goal, loses the header, loses his position and doesn't block the cross. Look at Bristol City goals involved in both.

He has also been sent off at least once. Just not quite good enough.

If you look at PL centre halfs they all dominate. Huth, Vidic, Terry, Upson, Ferdinand, Dawson, King etc. Connolly too weak.

Still young though

Comment

Originally posted by HammersmithR View Post
                  Another top game. Big part of the reason why we have kept 16 clean sheets.

Very intelligent footballer. Doesn't waste possession. Shittu would just lump it!
                  Totally agree. Very carm on the ball, he is our best defender.
                  Cant believe it, ive been PWOPER MUGGED ORF...

Comment

Originally posted by kingy10 View Post
                    He has cost us numerous goals this season. Look at the Marlon King goal, loses the header, loses his position and doesn't block the cross. Look at Bristol City goals involved in both.

He has also been sent off at least once. Just not quite good enough.

If you look at PL centre halfs they all dominate. Huth, Vidic, Terry, Upson, Ferdinand, Dawson, King etc. Connolly too weak.

Still young though

Agree, thought he made a step up, apart from the reading game has been dodgy slow to turn,giving away penaltys, sending off's imo would be a complete liability in the prem.
                    Hope he goes on to prove me wrong as he seems to be a nice lad.
                    They seek him here.................

Comment

Only gave one pen away at Pompey. Took one for the team.

Can't be blamed for getting sent off at Norwich as their striker handled it and pushed the ball ahead of him. Should have been our free kick.
                      First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by HammersmithR View Post
                        Only gave one pen away at Pompey. Took one for the team.

Can't be blamed for getting sent off at Norwich as their striker handled it and pushed the ball ahead of him. Should have been our free kick.

Sure he gave away a penaty at home to Burnley.
                        Was very lucky not to against Cardiff, that was a penalty missed by the Ref.

I like the boy, but being a good header of a ball just isn't good enough for the prem.

Afraid he is slow and liable to be turned by a striker who runs at him, lucky to get away with what happened against eastwood for coventry.

Comment

Connolly was good last night and is excellent centre half....though do think Gorkks is the main man for us

Comment

I never saw this thread first time round and what an odd one it is!. He has inarguably done a fantastic job for us this year (there is enough reason to cut him slack) and shows signs of being able to take it to the next level (there is another).

Comment

Dont agree, neither center backs will be good enough for us if we make it too the prem, we'll get sloughtered with Gorkks and conners imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X