No announcement yet.

quite good analysis in the telegraph...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quite good analysis in the telegraph...

Queens Park Rangers 2 Coventry City 1: match report
    Read a full match report of the Championship game between Queens Park Rangers and Coventry City at Loftus Road on Sunday Jan 23 2011.

Gifted: QPR's Adel Taarabt leaves Coventry's Stephen O'Halloran in his wake Photo: ACTION IMAGES
    By Neil Trainis 8:12PM GMT 23 Jan 2011
    The returning Wayne Routledge played a key part as Queens Park Rangers regained their bearings as Championship leaders.

Routledge was insatiable on the right, clearly determined to prove to Alan Pardew that he was wrong to allow him to momentarily leave Newcastle United.

The source of his goal which saw off a durable Coventry City was inevitably Adel Taarabt. A nonchalant swish with the outside of his right boot in the second half found Routledge breaking through to score.

“The difference between the two sides was Taarabt,” said Coventry manager Aidy Boothroyd. “He’s an exceptional player. I was tempted to run on and kick him at one stage. He was terrific. With the talent he has got you have to ask why he’s here, and that’s no disrespect to QPR.”

That last comment hinted at the Moroccan’s temperament when gracing grander stages. “You’re going to get frustrated with him at times but you won’t see a better ball for the second goal in the world,” said Neil Warnock, the QPR manager.

Related Articles

Rangers reluctant to spend 22 Jan 2011
    Warnock still fighting on 13 Jan 2011
    Diouf: Who is Neil Warnock? 13 Jan 2011
    Blackburn probe Diouf allegations 13 Jan 2011
    Cup romance shattered 10 Jan 2011

“Not in a million years have I ever dreamed of managing a player like him. He thinks he should be playing for Real Madrid. He could play for them but first of all he’s got to help me finish my career in the right way. He’ll probably end up playing in Saudi Arabia where they pay players a million pounds a game.”

Coventry competed with relish, inspired by goalkeeper Keiren Westwood. Athletic saves denied Shaun Derry and Ishmael Miller, an effervescent presence on his first appearance since arriving on loan from West Bromwich Albion.

Not for the first time this season, though, Taarabt indelibly marked a football match with his own brand of genius. His side trailed to an opportunist goal from Marlon King when he took down Paddy Kenny’s long goal-kick in an instant, slipped past Gary McSheffrey and Richard Keogh and curled a delicious shot into the top corner.

QPR are not quite one-dimensional but they labour when Taarabt is nullified or below par.

Nonetheless, victory was as much a reason for relief as it was celebration. QPR, after all, had taken just eight points from a possible 21 before this match and, considering the intolerance of demanding owners desperate for Premier League football, a fine start to the campaign had suddenly evaporated into a haze.

“I’ve not been concerned,” Warnock insisted. “We’ve been playing well. We now have a squad to cope with two games in a week. We couldn’t have got anyone better than Routledge, Pascal Chimbonda and Miller.”

QPR often take a stranglehold of games at Loftus Road and Coventry were instantly shunted back.

Routledge sped past McSheffrey and whipped in a cross that found Helguson, whose shot was blocked. When the ball ricocheted back into the area, Routledge reacted quickest and drilled in another delivery that Helguson nodded off target.

There was little hint that Coventry might get a foothold in the match, much less forge a lead, but QPR habitually offer glimpses of their susceptibility to direct football. King has divided opinion among Coventry followers since his move to the club in the wake of run-ins with the law and his every touch was greeted by boos. Yet that dissatisfaction soon melted away. A long punt downfield undid QPR and the ball was worked out to McSheffrey, whose low cross was missed by Matthew Connolly and converted by King.

For a while the game lay on a knife-edge. Freddie Eastwood dragged a chance wide and Alejandro Faurlin’s free kick struck a post.

Will they cut it in Premier League?

The squad
    Championship experience has complimented youthful zest this season. And there has been Adel Taarabt trying to prove Spurs should have kept him. However, QPR are over-reliant on Taarabt, their leading league scorer with 12 goals. A 4-2-3-1 demands width from full-back but Bradley Orr and Clint Hill fail to penetrate even if Tommy Smith has impressed.

Tactics
    Neil Warnock’s 4-2-3-1 has made QPR impenetrable. Defensive sturdiness in Kaspars Gorkss and Matthew Connolly blends with holding midfielders, Shaun Derry and Alejandro Faurlin, to liberate Taarabt to lead a three-pronged attacking midfield seeking to break beyond a lone forward.

Durability
    A contrast between ruggedness and elegance has seen off Championship opponents but top-flight clubs will be a lot shrewder in countering such an approach. Taarabt takes a breather in games but his colleagues run for 90 minutes.

Plan B
    Resilience and discipline are QPR hallmarks but the dependence on Taarabt for invention will be crippling. When he fails to play well, QPR struggle. A plan B will be required.

Match details

Queens Park Rangers (4-2-3-1): Kenny; Orr, Connolly, Gorkss, Hill; Derry, Faurlin; Routledge (Ephraim 90), Taarabt, Smith (Hall 83); Helguson (Miller 55).
    Subs: Cerny (g), Clarke, Hulse, Moen.
    Booked: Derry.
    Coventry City (4-4-2): Westwood; Keogh, Cranie, Wood, O’Halloran; Baker, Gunnarsson, Doyle (Clingan 67), McSheffrey (Platt 79); Eastwood (Jutkiewicz 46), King.
    Subs: Ireland (g), Bell, Clarke, Cameron.
    Booked: Doyle, O’Halloran.
    Referee: M Haywood (West Yorkshire).

Fair summary, I'd say.
    If a little obvious to most QPR fans.

I don't think we'd be a poor team without Adel, just nowhere near as good.
    But to be fair, who would?? He's special.

With HH out injured for a bit(?) we'd need another striker if Adel got injured/suspended for more than a couple of games.

But that's what the loan market is for, I suppose. And that's open 'til march.
    Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

without adel we would still be a good team and we'd be around the play off positions, lets not forget how much our defensive record has played in putting us top of the league but adel makes a good team into a great team

Comment

In all fairness we not really had a chance to execute a Plan B all season as I don't think Adel has missed a league game has he?

Without Taarabt in the starting 11 we would be very difficult to break down sitting deeper. We might might switch to a 4-4-2 or even a 4-3-3 becoming more workmanlike in our approach to games but still have the ability to grind out results.

We've built a team around Adel therefore everything goes through him but if he was missing for a few games there's no reason why we can't adapt. We've a quality squad with recent additions and even without Adel its still one of the best in the Championship (if not the best).

Comment

Goddard: agree most of it is a bit obvious to the kind of people who come on here regularly but I thought it was a fair point about our fullbacks not pressing forwards enough. I know they were under pressure in certain periods but Adel was on his own virtually the entire game. No coincidence imo that the one time Kenny bowls the ball out to Hill and he feed Tabs that we scored.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
            Goddard: agree most of it is a bit obvious to the kind of people who come on here regularly but I thought it was a fair point about our fullbacks not pressing forwards enough. I know they were under pressure in certain periods but Adel was on his own virtually the entire game. No coincidence imo that the one time Kenny bowls the ball out to Hill and he feed Tabs that we scored.

Definitely.
            The only critisism I'd make for yesterday was the over-use of the hoof from Kenny.
            There were even a couple where he was looking to hit Routledge from 60 yards away in the air. Not a great idea!
            I think part of the reason we dipped in form a bit after the amazing start was teams stopping us from using our full backs to feed midfield, and using Faurlin as a "quarter back"... it forced us to go long a lot more.

We need to try and mix that up a bit more again, as the second goal showed yesterday.

I think Routledge and Miller (please stay fit!) will help that.... because the pace they have will force teams to defend 10 yards deeper, without such a high line... and make the pitch bigger for Adel and Faurlin.
            Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
              The only critisism I'd make for yesterday was the over-use of the hoof from Kenny.
              I lost count of the amount of times he did that yesterday, only to immediately concede possession. I know its Neil's style to adopt the territory/percentages strategy, but we'll come unstuck in the prem with that approach because its there its all about possession, and if you concede it you quickly get punished. So he'll need to adapt to survive.

Comment

Working...
              X