Defence is the Priority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence is the Priority

There are plenty of threads about the need for strikers and I do agree we need to strengthen but in my opinion (and I expect to be in the minority) defenders are the priority.

Regardless of what you think about any of our defenders (I've read the threads about Orr and Hill and neither appears to be everyones favourites at the mo) or what you might think of Gorkss or even Borrowdale these guys look likely to make up the defence against Burnley. Connolly will return but with Hall rumoured to injured yet again we lack quality, competition and depth.

The loss of Walker will be felt instantly especially against a higher quality of opposition in Blackburn and the speed and skill of Chris Eagles when we face Burnley. Borrowdale has never been given IMO a fair opportunity to prove one way or another. From the moment he was signed he was a target for the boo boys and has come in and out of the squad ever since. Gorkss IMO gets away with making mistakes which if made by Hall, Borrowdale, Hill or Orr they would get crucified for. His slip against Cardiff, his mistake against Bristol City yesterday and his lack of anything to challenge Graham for the first against Watford have hardly been mentioned. Orr is solid enough but nowhere near as good either defensively or offensively as Walker (but neither is any other defender in this division) and his pace along with the others is a worry. Hill looked better at centre back but sluggish and could do with the weekend off. Unfortunately unless Warnock uses Parker or recalls Leigertwood or even plays Rowlands or Mahon at the back that isn't likely to happen. The best Hill can hope for is that a youth player is called up and Hill can sit on the bench at Ewood.

With Stewart sold, Ramage injured and now Walker departed we have 5 senior defenders in the squad. Of course we can play a Parker or a Leigertwood in the defence but in terms of actual defenders we have just 5 (one of which is suspended until after the Burnley game).

In contrast we do have a number of attacking players including two who will no doubt start against Blackburn (Tofas and Vaagen Moen) as well as rumoured to believe we shall soon see the return of Cook and Buzsaky. Add those 4 to Mackie, Smith, Ephraim, Taraabt, Hulse, Helguson, Agyemang, Clarke, German and we AT LEAST have players who can play in the attacking positions. Who are natural in those positions and between them have scored goals. Yes HH has really only scored penalities and Hulse has scored 1 tap in but they are fit and deep down they can score goals the difference is we can't say the same about the numbers of defenders or those who can defend. Do we really want Mackie to play the rest of the season at right back? Do we really want to have to resort to playing none defenders in defensive positions?

It's already been said on here but "strikers win matches, defences win championships" and I believe this to be true. We have kept 13 clean sheets and picked up 31 points in those matches but in the 12 matches where we have conceded at least one goal we've accumulated just 17 points.

If you don't concede you are guaranteed a point. If you don't score you don't automatically not gain points and if you do score you aren't guaranteed to win any points. Of course goals change matches and goals will win matches but conceding goals (and quite frankly some stupid ones at that) and then having to equalise rather than looking for a win are the difference right now (IMO) between being 5 points clear and being 10 or even 15 points clear - yesterday two points dropped, against Norwich one point dropped (plus Norwich would have two points fewer), arguably two points dropped against Watford - reckless collisions against both Pompey and Burnley both leading to penalties.

We need pace, we need quality and we need competition.

1 of each, all the way down the spine of the team. IMO
    Ps :gooduns

Comment

I could well be in the minority too - i would be happy if Warnock drafted in 2 defenders - on loan would do - a seasoned campaigner who can steady the nerves and a young gun similare to Walker

I'm happy with what we have up front - Smith now being permanent and Van Norway signing strengthens things

Our recent poorer performances have been down to defensive issues

I thought we were brilliant yesterday - and yes gutted last night and much of the day now feel positive given we are 5 points clear

Comment

Connolly is only suspended for 2 first team games so Im guessing thats yesterdays and the game at Blackburn. so should be available for Burnley, unless the cup games are treated diefferently!?

Comment

Good post, the defence is beginning to worry me now Walker has gone due to lack of numbers. We need some speed there, Kilgallon would be a great addition on a permanent move. He is still young, quicker than what we have and is an improvement
          CHAMPIONS
          Ainsworth is a Legend http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisHermitage Has scored at Loftus Road

Comment

Great post, and as much as i like Walker I sometimes got annoyed after his long runs, he wouldn't get back quick enough

Comment

Yep.
              The defense could do with strengthening but not nearly as much as the striker positions. The type that actually score goals.

We have by far, way and above, the best defense in the Championship and only one team in the entire 4 league divisions have conceeded less.

And this surprised me - it's Man City!
              They have conceeded 1 goal less than us but have played 4 games less.

So assuming they will concede at least 1 goal in the next 4 games - WE have the best/least conceeding defense in the Country!

So why all the fuss about it being the priority.

Take away the 9 penalties we have scored this year and imo it is definitely the striking department we lack in. Yesterdays game highlighted this perfectly.
              So many chances yet just 1 goal from open play and a penalty.

It's STRIKERS we need first and foremost.
              Unfortunately I have a nasty feeling our board are too tight too pay the neccessary readies to aquire them.

But that's another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by rodman View Post
                Yep.
                The defense could do with strengthening but not nearly as much as the striker positions. The type that actually score goals.

We have by far, way and above, the best defense in the Championship and only one team in the entire 4 league divisions have conceeded less.

And this surprised me - it's Man City!
                They have conceeded 1 goal less than us but have played 4 games less.

So assuming they will concede at least 1 goal in the next 4 games - WE have the best/least conceeding defense in the Country!

So why all the fuss about it being the priority.

Take away the 9 penalties we have scored this year and imo it is definitely the striking department we lack in. Yesterdays game highlighted this perfectly.
                So many chances yet just 1 goal from open play and a penalty.

It's STRIKERS we need first and foremost.
                Unfortunately I have a nasty feeling our board are too tight too pay the neccessary readies to aquire them.

But that's another thread.
                We have just 5 defenders with any first team experience so what happens if we get injuries or suspensions?

First 12 matches:
                For 21
                Against 3
                Points 27

Last 12 matches:
                For 19
                Against 13
                Points 19

We've only scored 2 goals fewer in the last 12 matches then we did in the first 12 but we've conceded an extra 10. As I said I'm in the minority but we're still scoring but we're conceding goal after goal, which we weren't doing at the start of the season.

Yes our defensive record over the whole season has been superb but recently it hasn't been as good and as a result we aren't accumulating as many points.

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
                  We have just 5 defenders with any first team experience so what happens if we get injuries or suspensions?

First 12 matches:
                  For 21
                  Against 3
                  Points 27

Last 12 matches:
                  For 19
                  Against 13
                  Points 19

We've only scored 2 goals fewer in the last 12 matches then we did in the first 12 but we've conceded an extra 10. As I said I'm in the minority but we're still scoring but we're conceding goal after goal, which we weren't doing at the start of the season.

Yes our defensive record over the whole season has been superb but recently it hasn't been as good and as a result we aren't accumulating as many points.
                  Your figures above make a good and valid point. We are leaking goals more freely now than before. That is clear to see.
                  However I still think we need a striker that actually scores a reasonable amount of goals.
                  Plus I tend to subscribe to the Kevin Keegan philosophy of football and believe goals win games.
                  How many more points would we have if we had scored just one more goal in each of those draws that we created so many unconverted chances in.

I suppose, as someone else pointed out - we need to strengthen right down the spine.

One other thing - I make it 7 defenders with first team experience (although one or two don't inspire much confidence)

Gorrks
                  Connolly
                  Hill
                  Orr
                  Hall
                  Borrowdale
                  Ramage.

Comment

Originally posted by rodman View Post
                    Your figures above make a good and valid point. We are leaking goals more freely now than before. That is clear to see.
                    However I still think we need a striker that actually scores a reasonable amount of goals.
                    Plus I tend to subscribe to the Kevin Keegan philosophy of football and believe goals win games.
                    How many more points would we have if we had scored just one more goal in each of those draws that we created so many unconverted chances in.

I suppose, as someone else pointed out - we need to strengthen right down the spine.

One other thing - I make it 7 defenders with first team experience (although one or two don't inspire much confidence)

Gorrks
                    Connolly
                    Hill
                    Orr
                    Hall
                    Borrowdale
                    Ramage.
                    I'll work the stat out later but Ramage is out for the season and Hall is injured (supposedly out for 2 months) so that leaves us with just 5 available. Yes we have 7 but Ramage is definitely out and Hall is supposedly out but nothing official - wasn't on the bench yesterday.

Comment

I agree with Sir Pie on this one.

We are very short of numbers at the back with ramage and hall out long term.

I would say a centre back is a real priority.

Infact I actually feel a 'leader' at centre back should be what we are looking for. I don't feel that either gorkks or connors are vocal enough.

Maybe a new left back could be the answer and moving clint hill into the middle as i'd imagine he would be more vocal but as I missed the game sat I can't comment but we are in definate need of a defender.

We did also score 2 goals on sat and that should be plenty if you have a sound defence.

Not deny we don't need a striker because we do and we need a poacher in the defoe mold that is clinical in the 6 yard box. Priority 1 would be a centre back followed by a centre forward. Good read sirpie.
                      I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Thanks weare. And i agree about needing leaders. When a player is tiring their ability to lead is normally the first thing to go missing and recently the leaders of a few weeks ago aren't there. Derry, Hill, Kenny, Mackie and Taraabt need a rest.

We were conceding goals with Walker what's going to happen when we have to replace him with Borrowdale?

Comment

"Strikers win games, defenders win titles" - Sir Alex

Comment

Working...
                          X