Clear All

• Ecclestone reveals lack of interest in QPR

Ecclestone reveals lack of interest in QPR
    By ESPNsoccernet staff

October 19, 2010
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    QPR might be sitting at the top of the Championship table, but owner Bernie Ecclestone said he is really not bothered.

Bernie Ecclestone: Bought QPR in 2007.

"Yeah, it's good. Super, super, super. We can only go down from here," he told the Guardian. Asked if he has any enthusiasm for the club he replied: "Not at all. Of course I can pull out, but there are lots of things that could and should be done there. It's mainly commercial things and for me to see if we can get that working better. Once you get me involved that's it. I'm there."Ecclestone invested in QPR along with his friends Flavio Briatore and Lakshmi Mittal. "It's something I got involved in," he told the newspaper, "[but] not out of choice. I'm probably going to be even more involved shortly. It's a task that needs getting on with."
    Asked if promotion to the Premier League would excite him, he smiled. "Half the people who get involved in football do it only to satisfy their ego. I suppose we all get caught up in that."

And he admitted that he once toyed with the idea of launching a bid for Arsenal. "I thought it would be nice if we could be in charge. It was a stupid thing to do. I'm very lucky I escaped because that would've been a 24-hours-a-day job. I only got involved a little bit because my daughter's boyfriend was David Dein's son. That's how it started."

Could be interesting, new groud maybe, he is reputed to own BBC land? His involvement could be good, no sentiment just business.
    Kept the faith!

I have no issue with him not being passionate about the club, as long as he doesn't try to interfere with the playing side and as long as he pushes the club forward.

Comment

He's never changed his tune on this to be fair. He's Chelskum (as much as he's anything) and always admitted as much. I suspect we were a bit like having a few bob on a rank outsider for him - with the perk of giving him a VIP venue for business meetings with F1 buddies and wannabe F1 buddies.

I assume the "getting more involved" bit means that now the financial returns look to have a prospect of improving and his shares are a rising stock he will step up his (financial) interest. Scary. Though if he sticks to business he aint bad at making money. Let's hope it is for the club rather than himself. No, I didn't think so either.

Comment

Yep I think things are going to be hotting up down the bush
        Kept the faith!

Comment

Working...
        X