Last 10 Champions/Automatically Promoted - Points After 10 Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last 10 Champions/Automatically Promoted - Points After 10 Matches

Somebody wanted to know how many points the Champions that season and the team who finished 2nd had after 10 matches to compare us with. Below you'll see what points had been accumulated after 10 games but there are a couple of points I should make regarding these stats. Firstly, in 6 of the 10 seasons the team who finished 2nd actually had more points after 10 matches then the team who finished Champions. Secondly, Sheffield United had more points after 10 matches back in 2005 then we do now but didn't finish as Champions. Okay runners up and promotion isn't the worst thing that could happen but as Sunderland with 13 and Blackburn with 12 points have shown what happens in October means very little to the overall outcome in May. Sunderland lost the opening 4 matches that season and in fact had lost half of their first 16 matches. It wasn't until game 42 that they broke into the top 2. Blackburn took until game 36 to break into the top 2.

Whilst West Brom and Stoke slowly climbed the table in 07/08 Watford led from game 5 all the way to game 21. They also led for a couple of weeks in the February but in the end finished 11 points behind West Brom having been 6 points ahead of them after 10 matches.

2009/10
    C- Newcastle -23 Points
    RU- West Brom - 20 Points

2008/09
    C- Wolves – 22 Points
    RU-Birmingham - 23 Points

2007/08
    C- West Brom - 17 Points
    RU-Stoke - 17 Points

2006/07
    C- Sunderland - 13 Points
    RU-Birmingham - 18 Points

2005/06
    C- Reading - 23 Points
    RU- Sheffield United - 27 Points

2004/05
    C- Sunderland - 17 Points
    RU-Wigan - 20 Points

2003/04
    C- Norwich - 20 Points
    RU-West Brom - 22 Points

2002/03
    C- Portsmouth - 25 Points
    RU-Leicester - 23 Points

2001/02
    C- Man City - 18 Points
    RU-West Brom - 19 Points

2000/01
    C- Fulham – 30 Points
    RU-Blackburn – 12 Points
    Last edited by sirpiechucker; 09-10-2010, 06:48 PM.

great stats as per mate.

Just goes to show we cant take our position for granted (as i'm sure Neil and the lads won't be) as there will be a few teams moving up through the gears to put pressure on us.

Mind you I know where I'd rather be!
    Win or lose, on the booze

Comment

Interesting SPC, we are placed nicely in those stats
      I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Many thanks mate for taking the time out to examine the stats.

Makes interesting reading
        ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
        THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

fulham must of been good. 10 wins on the trot. how long did that run go for?
          are they the biggest points holders thus far?

Comment

Really good stats that, cheers.

Comment

Has anyone had as many points as us at this stage of the season and missed out on auto promotion?

Comment

Originally posted by MKPaul View Post
                Has anyone had as many points as us at this stage of the season and missed out on auto promotion?
                Very good question Paul.

Please don't tell me that we will go on the break the record and set it ourselves? :(

Comment

nope.

Comment

stats mean nothing,winning does.

Comment

many thanks for going to all the effort to look up those sir pie.

so you have to go back a decade - to fulham of all clubs - to find a club who has made a better start to the season. encouraging, no?

Comment

yeah its super sized encouraging, cos statistically it is impossible for us to not go up.
                        and even if we dont we will be world famous yet again and talked about for decades for our failings all over again, ala oxford, the ***s and liverpool, and then loads of us over 30 can die and our last words can be
                        'why did i spend my entire life following the biggest load of shite on the planet who never ever once gave me happiness by winning anything'.

Comment

Originally posted by G.T.P View Post
                          yeah its super sized encouraging, cos statistically it is impossible for us to not go up.
                          and even if we dont we will be world famous yet again and talked about for decades for our failings all over again, ala oxford, the ***s and liverpool, and then loads of us over 30 can die and our last words can be
                          'why did i spend my entire life following the biggest load of shite on the planet who never ever once gave me happiness by winning anything'.
                          Oh Dear!
                          Queens Park Rangers
                          NPower Champions 2010/2011

PREMIER LEAGUE 2011 - ETERNITY (Oh well got that wrong, we'll be back though)

Comment

you must be older than me and at the 67 league cup. was it good?

Comment

Originally posted by G.T.P View Post
                              fulham must of been good. 10 wins on the trot. how long did that run go for?
                              are they the biggest points holders thus far?
                              Reading hold the current record of 106.

We're on course to smash that, but that's unrealistic in all honesty.
                              Your mum would love me...

Comment

Working...
                              X