Hulse versus Walters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulse versus Walters

Well it seems we wanted one but got the other but how do the two match up and have we instead got ourselves a better deal?

Rumoured transfer fees:

Walters: £3.5m
    Hulse: £400k and rising on performances

Walters 0 HULSE 1

There are a number of concerns about Hulse's fitness and with him currently out injured and his age compared to Walters the concerns will only disappear once Hulse plays but:

Championship Matches Played Since 2008/09:

Walters: 79
    Hulse: 81

Walters 0 HULSE 2

Okay, okay I know people are probably saying by now that Walters would have been played out on the wing but how can you compare them? Well, Warnock publically stated that he wanted Walters because he could also play upfront and he'll add a lot with assists. Smith is also harder to compare since having been in the Premiership last season and also nobody seems to be questioning his arrival compared to that of Hulse's. So how do they shape up in that department:

Championship Assists Since 2008/09:

Walters: 12
    Hulse: 5

WALTERS 1 Hulse 2

So Walters has contributed with almost 2½ times the amount of assists but how many goals have the two scored?

Championship Goals Since 2008/09:

Walters: 13 (Goal every 501 minutes)
    Hulse: 27 (Goal every 236 minutes)

Walters 1 HULSE 3

Adding the two contributions (goals and assists) together:

Championship Assists & Goals Since 2008/09:

Walters: 12 assists & 13 goals = 25
    Hulse: 5 assists & 27 goals = 32

Walters 1 HULSE 4

All in all Hulse has contributed more over the past two seasons than Walters but as previously mentioned the only key difference is Hulse's current fitness which hopefully by Boro will have been cleared up. Rob Hulse, although perceived to be injury prone has actually played more games than someone 4 years his junior who's fitness isn't ever questioned.

81 games out of a possible 92 league matches equals 88% of matches played.
    Last edited by sirpiechucker; 01-09-2010, 08:06 PM.

Make you right on most points but pointing out Hulse playing 2 more games than Walters means nothing tbh. At Hulse's age & with his injury record I would more than expect a 26 year old Walters to go on and play much more games than Hulse. Your only as good as your last game as they say!

But I defo make Hulse a better 'goalscorer'

Very hard one to call. I will put it this way if I KNEW Hulse would stay fit i'd have him over Walters all day long.

Comment

without being disengenuous to your stats, i would argue that Tommy Smith is the replacement for Walters, not Hulse.

Warnock stated taht Walters was going to be his right winger/striker, and Tommy Smith is exactly that...
      RUN, MWEPU, RUN! CHARGE FORTH AND BOOT THAT BALL DOWNFIELD MY BOY, YOU MAGNIFICENT CHAMPION YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Ric-Roc View Post
        Make you right on most points but pointing out Hulse playing 2 more games than Walters means nothing tbh. At Hulse's age & with his injury record I would more than expect a 26 year old Walters to go on and play much more games than Hulse. Your only as good as your last game as they say!

But I defo make Hulse a better 'goalscorer'

Very hard one to call. I will put it this way if I KNEW Hulse would stay fit i'd have him over Walters all day long.
        Good point. I think I was trying to point out that Rob Hulse although perceived to be injury prone has actually played more games than someone 4 years his junior who's fitness isn't ever questioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          without being disengenuous to your stats, i would argue that Tommy Smith is the replacement for Walters, not Hulse.

Warnock stated taht Walters was going to be his right winger/striker, and Tommy Smith is exactly that...
          I realised that have way through writing them which is the reason I put the okay, okay line in. Smith is harder to compare because of being in the Premiership last season and nobody seems to be questioning his arrival.

Comment

For his next trick he is going to compare the statistics of the QE2 liner and a MacDonald Happy Meal.

Comment

Originally posted by RLHoop View Post
              For his next trick he is going to compare the statistics of the QE2 liner and a MacDonald Happy Meal.
              I thought two attacking players who were both targets for us that have both played in the Championship for the past two seasons were comparable and that some might have found it interesting. I apologise if you didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
                Good point. I think I was trying to point out that Rob Hulse although perceived to be injury prone has actually played more games than someone 4 years his junior who's fitness isn't ever questioned.

Agreed.

Comment

*bumped for those who might be interested...

Comment

Thanks SirPie, I think as long as Hulse has time and the crowd dont get on his back he could be a key signing.
                    One for all.... and all for one

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

I think that is correct. I mean I know.
                      QPR
                      Best team in the world
                      Sort of

Comment

The best thing is we now have 2 forwards rather than one. I'd be surprised if we'd have got a striker or winger in pre deadline if we'd have got walters.

Comment

Thanks for that Sirpie.

I think it is correct to compare Hulse and Walters, because Smith has bene playing in the premier league which is obviously different to the championship so we couldnt compare fairly.

Walters and Hulse are similar. Ipswich did play him as a striker at times.
                          Queens Park Rangers Til I Die!

Comment

Good stuff SirPie, I'm confident Hulse will prove a good signing! My brother being a Derby fan has seen a lot of Hulse and he was gutted yetserday that Derby had sold him, he's a proven striker at this level, scores goals and causes problems for the defenders which we sorely lack at the moment. His injury record is not remarkable especially for a player who puts himself about as much as Hulse does he's played far more games at Derby than any of their other strikers Commons etc. who are always injured!

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
                              I thought two attacking players who were both targets for us that have both played in the Championship for the past two seasons were comparable and that some might have found it interesting. I apologise if you didn't.
                              Yes but RLHOOP still doesn't know whether to go on a cruise or get a happy meal, of which you can probably get on a cruise now anyway.

But seriously though Sirpie, great stats, interesting as always.
                              Queens Park Rangers
                              NPower Champions 2010/2011

PREMIER LEAGUE 2011 - ETERNITY (Oh well got that wrong, we'll be back though)

Comment

Working...
                              X