The 17+8 Rule - Top London Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 17+8 Rule - Top London Teams

I thought I'd research the squads of the top Premiership teams and try and work out who will make the squad and who won't and therefore who might become available. As Mick Jones says QPR will keep a close eye on the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea so these are the teams I've researched.

Now the rules state that each squad must have a minimum of 8 home grown players and can include as many 21 year olds or younger as they like. As the squad is only for the Premier League and not for the CC, CL or for the FA Cup the chances are that if you are over 21 and not considered good enough for the 25 man squad then you'll be surplus to requirements but if you are under 21 and have not made the squad theres a chance the players will be retained to compete in those competitions (unlikely to be Champions League but the Mickey Mouse Trophy and the FA Cup definitely).

Anyway, I'll start with Chelsea - now obviously all of this changes the moment any of these clubs sign or sell a player but here goes. According to their official website they have just 26 players including the likes of Hutchinson, Bruma, Borini and Kakuta they only need choose 1 of these players to not be in the 25 but because they are all under 21 that player can still feature in the Premiership. Due to the release of Joe Cole and loaning out Jack Cork, Chelsea are surprisingly low on home grown players. Terry, Turnbull, Cole, Lampard, Sturridge the likes of Hutchinson, Borini and Van Aanholt (both techincally home grown as they have been with Chelsea and therefore registered to the FA for more than 36 months meaning they are home grown) and even Mancienne maybe required to be part of the squad to make up the 8 home grown players.

With so few players on their books and only 5 regular first teamers as home grown I'd imagine that we will not see the likes of Borini or Sturridge at Loftus Road anytime soon although some on here seem to think so.

Arsenal also have just 26 players listed as "First Team" players and they have a further 18 players listed as Reserves but who have been given a first team squad number including the likes of Emmanuel Thomas, Simpson, Lansbury, Cruise and Hoyte. With their being a number of First Teamers under the age of 21, Arsenal may choose to select every player in their first team squad and either allow Wilshere or Szczesny to go out on loan again or as they are both under 21 they can still feature regardless of whether they are picked in the original 25.

With so many reserve players (and all under 21), Wenger may continue to play the kids in the CC or like he has already and send more out on loan. Sanchez Watt is at Leeds, Kyle Bartley is at Sheffield United, Luke Freeman is at Yeovil and Francis Coquelin is in France with Lorient. With just Sinu, Murphy, Emmanuel Thomas and Simpson as genuine attacking options there won't be any big names available from Arsenal. Many, would expect these bigger sides to have such large squads that a first teamer wouldn't make the 25 and therefore they would be left to having to play in the Championship.

Simpson and Emmanuel Thomas both have success in the Championship but with Warnock appearing not to fancy Jay if we were to go after any Arsenal player to boost our attacking options it would probably have to be Emmanuel Thomas. Sinu played 9 matches for Derby and Murphy played 5 for Brentford but none of the options who are possibly available come with much experience other than Jay Simpson who looks more likely to leave permanently than on a loan deal.

Spurs, well Nodge will know more about them than I do but once again looking at their squad they only have 29 first teamers which includes Woodgate (currently injured and unlikely to make the 25 as a result), Walker and Naughton (neither have been regular first teamers but being home grown means they could make the 25 however Spurs have more than enough home grown players), Danny Rose, Dos Santos and Jake Livermore. I've mentioned these players because unlike the likes of Defoe, King, Crouch etc these will be the players close to not making the final 25. However Rose, Walker, Livermore & Dos Santos are all under 21 so once again they don't have to be selected and can still play in the Premiership.

This took me 20 minutes to research and I think I've found by looking that no real first teamers from those team mentioned by Mick Jones will become available. I, of course could be very wrong indeed but what is stopping us from enquiring for players like Emmanuel Thomas or Jonathan Obika now? We don't have to wait until September 1st because they don't need to be selected in the first place. We won't sign a Keane, Kalou or Bendtner so why wait. All the best players will be selected and even those who won't are predominately under 21. As far as I can see only Jonathan Woodgate is at risk right now and even he could be selected as Redknapp could just not select an under 21 year old and play Woodgate when he is fit.

Simpson buy.. and Emmanuel Thomas loan, sound good to me.

Comment

Emmaneuel Thomas is our only hope.. that is shocking

Comment

Originally posted by W10 RANGER View Post
        Emmaneuel Thomas is our only hope.. that is shocking
        Very good player, would do well at this level, i'd like to see him here for a season.

Comment

Originally posted by winalotto View Post
          Very good player, would do well at this level, i'd like to see him here for a season.
          i know he is a good player but for us to rely on a youngster on loan is not good we should be signing strikers permanently

Comment

Great post, very informative.

I think Simpson would score more goals than he did last season if he were to come back here, seeing as our midfield has improved and developed.

Comment

Nice research SPC.

I thought Wolves had purchased Mancienne? Not that we need him anyway.

I still believe we should have been and should continue to look at the lower leagues for a striker. Look at Graham at Watford, Maynard at Bristol City, Hooper etc...We left it too late for Simeon Jackson but this is the type of player we should be going for.

Comment

As the topic of waiting to see what happens in the Premiership rears its head again I thought I'd bump this thread to show you that there won't be many options out there so why are we waiting?

Comment

Working...
                X