Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was the World Cup trouble free fan-wise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was the World Cup trouble free fan-wise?

Appararently no arrests. Any theories?

Distance - cost of travel would have put a few off.
    Easier to Police known names - World cup in France had lots of ways to get there, SA is pretty-much via Longhaul flights, so your points of exit and entry are hugely reduced.
    Big guns?

Also, QPRTED is still here so he wasn't able to orchestrate all his mates into "kicking-off".

Comment

Agree with the distance bit.

What policeman is going to go near anyone who is armed with a Vuvuzela without getting his ear-drums perforated?

Comment

Saw a bit of trouble with the English having a go at the Germans in Cape Town just after they had beaten the Argies and a tiny bit after the game in Bloemfontein between the Germans and English

Monday night there was some trouble apparently between English and Argies on Lond St in Cape Town

Comment

Because it was in South Africa and who the **** would bother going there for a ruck.

There will be untold trouble taking place at the next Euros, I know a proper hooligan, not the one of these 'the time we chased the wall back to the station' ones. This guy is ex military and it sounds like there will be a lot of heavy duty service men past and present wanting to have a go at each other. Poles, Germans, Russians, Danish, Dutch etc

International Football Violence will normally only take on place on European soil just look at its history. Euro 2012 will be the biggest ruckus since Italia 90 IMO, whether it gets swept under the carpet is anyone guess.
          Last edited by W12_Ranger; 07-07-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
            Distance - cost of travel would have put a few off.
            Easier to Police known names - World cup in France had lots of ways to get there, SA is pretty-much via Longhaul flights, so your points of exit and entry are hugely reduced.
            Big guns?

Also, QPRTED is still here so he wasn't able to orchestrate all his mates into "kicking-off".
            So did Germany but you could count the England arrests on one hand...maybe the Saffa police took the view that their only hurting each other, small beer in comparison to the usual murders, let them get on with it!

Maybe following the England team is becoming like the Dutch or a bigger version of the Barmy Army.

There were a fair few arrests and hooliganism in SA last year when I went out on the Lions tour. Maybe it was because the local rugger fans were extremely well oiled and the local football supporters in SA are, generally, from a completely different demographic

Comment

Originally posted by qprsteve View Post
              Appararently no arrests. Any theories?
              Because perhaps it is now being following by decent people with half a brain rather than mindless t**ts?

Comment

Exactly, Dazzer. People seem obsessed with fighting, get a life and get a decent girl who'd leave you at a shot for fighting some other football muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
                  Because it was in South Africa and who the **** would bother going there for a ruck.

There will be untold trouble taking place at the next Euros, I know a proper hooligan, not the one of these 'the time we chased the wall back to the station' ones. This guy is ex military and it sounds like there will be a lot of heavy duty service men past and present wanting to have a go at each other. Poles, Germans, Russians, Danish, Dutch etc

International Football Violence will normally only take on place on European soil just look at its history. Euro 2012 will be the biggest ruckus since Italia 90 IMO, whether it gets swept under the carpet is anyone guess.
                  Bingo.Was at Euro 88 and loads of servicemen were bang up and at it.
                  Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Funny how the ones with the fewest brain cells always wanna scrap to somehow show they have something to 'offer' the world.

I can understand more the services hving a go, but I think instead of involving other people, why not find a big field somewhere and sort it out. That's do us all a favour!

Comment

Originally posted by Stedders View Post
                      Funny how the ones with the fewest brain cells always wanna scrap to somehow show they have something to 'offer' the world.

I can understand more the services hving a go, but I think instead of involving other people, why not find a big field somewhere and sort it out. That's do us all a favour!
                      I was speaking to this guy I was referring to who actually went to the Euros in Belgium/Holland and all the plastic hooligans were kicking off in Charleiou?

This fella says he was sat opposite in a bar with a load of his European counterparts just laughing at these i.diots. I got the impression whatever they do its very organised and not sporadic acts of trouble. He says it was a trouble free tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Stedders View Post

Ajax v Feyenoord about 5 years back did exactly this. 2 deaths and overwhelmed the local A&E with other injuries. Fine to let them do it, but don't force the state to provide medical back up.

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
                          I was speaking to this guy I was referring to who actually went to the Euros in Belgium/Holland and all the plastic hooligans were kicking off in Charleiou?

This fella says he was sat opposite in a bar with a load of his European counterparts just laughing at these i.diots. I got the impression whatever they do its very organised and not sporadic acts of trouble. He says it was a trouble free tournament.
                          a load of drunk barmies throwing plastic chairs at each other whilst getting water cannoned.blinding.not my cup of tea.same lot of idiots at it on the steps in germany singing the dopey ten german bombers song.let them crack on.i found it embarrasing and distanced myself from it.
                          "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
                          London Pride is a flower that's free.
                          London Pride means our own dear town to us,
                          And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

My take on this is.

OB have the scene fairly under control for the past 5 yrs at least.All the lads who partaked in the 70s/80s are at least my age and have on the whole mellowed with time and with all the punishment you get and CCTV etc realise its juts not worth it now.All have too much to loose at our age,the yoot on other hands have on the whole not as many commitments and life is still a laugh and a learning curve to them.

The English scene has changed out of sight over the past 2 decades and has its plus and negative isides.
                            You have more familys,older men with cash etc who like to travel now.The OB make it very hard for any lads active or retired to travel and hey ho thats ok.But England to some extent are still a bench mark because of past exploits for all these mad little/big countries to test them selves against.So a lot of the barmies get hurt now as their are no lads to actually fight the other mob.And its not the English who start it nowdays on 99% of the times fact.But thats the price some will pay for others past behaviour.

The other strange thing about England in Europe is that you could get say for argument sake a 1000 England bods together.Say there is a 100 hoolies in there.Trouble kicks off and goes a bit big,you will find i kid you not at least another 400 odd of thoes quiet barmies join in.lads whove been tell me im wrong.Dont see it with any other countyr.
                            Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

the barmies are lethal when they have had a booze.but they are the divs throwing the plastic chairs and singling out people for their anti whatever abuse.long distance fighting (ie throwing things) should not be classed as hooliganism but as vandalism
                              "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
                              London Pride is a flower that's free.
                              London Pride means our own dear town to us,
                              And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

Working...
                              X