Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STAT Answers

Thanks Russ and Stanley for the questions so here are the answers:

In the last 15 minutes of a match we conceded a goal on 15 occassions (not 15 goals in one match as I said yesterday - thanks 80sCasual) and we scored on 7 occassions during this period last season. So basically for every goal we scored late in matches we conceded twice as many.

Last season we profited from just a single own goal (Jonas Olsson in the 2-2 draw at the Hawthorns), which was another match in which we conceded a late late goal. For a comparison Newcastle profited from three own goals.

I don't remember us missing a penalty but Buzsaky scored 4 and Taraabt scored 2 of them meaning we were awarded 6 - please correct me if I'm wrong. For comparison Whittingham scored 7 and Chopra scored 1 for Cardiff so they we awarded at least 8 penalties.

As for the average squad age this has certainly gone up as we have yet to release any player and of course they are all a year older than this time last year. If Kenny starts over Cerny than keepers age has gone down by 4 years. With the likes of Rowlands and Mahon returning from injury and the likes of Hill and Derry signing the average age according to transfermarkt.co.uk is 26: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ch...ewerb_GB2.html making us the 7th oldest team in the division an average only brought down because of the likes of Putnins, Brown, Alberti etc who won't (or shouldn't) feature next season. The average is also made up because Taraabt and Simpson still appear in the website's squad list. If we assume that neither will be here and the likes of Helguson, Hall (Ramage suspended for opening two matches so might start), Hill and Derry will all feature than the average age will be remarkably different from our opening match last season. I'll writet a proper summary once the season starts.

Of these 15 goals scored against,how many cost us all three points?
    I came here to chew gum and kick ass,and I'm all outta gum!

Comment

Sir P - you are a legend mate. I think, as you hint, that when the real kiddie contingent is cleared out (as it will be as they will not get a game), and when we can then compare real teams being fielded we will find (on current personnel) ours moving rapidly up the age table. I don't have a problem with that per se but it unless they are super fit it a lack of pace/stamina will be a vulnerability. Ands also these signings of older players means if we did by some miracle get promoted we would have to totally unsettle the side by replacing them - they would, as you say, be another year older next year and facing top flight opposition. The strategy of so much emphaisis on experience is a little shaky imo. Thanks again for exposing this - I am dread impressed

Comment

Originally posted by andythefish View Post
        Of these 15 goals scored against,how many cost us all three points?
        Wins that became Draws
        Plymouth - Gorkss 90 (og)
        WBA - Simon Cox 90
        Coventry - Wood 81
        Sheff Wed - Soares 77

Draws than became losses
        Bristol City - Maynard 78
        Reading - Sigurdsson 85
        Cardiff - Ledley 80

There were of course other times when we conceded when the game was already lost or we had already won but these 7 occassions are when we conceded in the last minutes of match and it cost us 11 points in the process. Not quite enough to have finished 6th last season but could mean the difference next season.

Comment

Originally posted by stanley75 View Post
          Sir P - you are a legend mate. I think, as you hint, that when the real kiddie contingent is cleared out (as it will be as they will not get a game), and when we can then compare real teams being fielded we will find (on current personnel) ours moving rapidly up the age table. I don't have a problem with that per se but it unless they are super fit it a lack of pace/stamina will be a vulnerability. Ands also these signings of older players means if we did by some miracle get promoted we would have to totally unsettle the side by replacing them - they would, as you say, be another year older next year and facing top flight opposition. The strategy of so much emphaisis on experience is a little shaky imo. Thanks again for exposing this - I am dread impressed
          Not a legend just a nerd who likes to use stats to back an argument.

The 18 that appeared against Blackpool on the opening day of last season were the following ages:

Cerny - 35
          Ramage - 25
          Borrowdale - 23
          Hall - 28
          Gorkss - 27
          Rowlands - 30
          Agyemang - 29
          Routledge - 24
          Taarabt - 20
          Mahon - 32
          Helguson - 31
          Vine - 26
          Balanta - 19
          Buzsaky - 27
          Putnins - 18
          Stewart - 28
          Connolly - 21
          Ephraim - 21
          TOTAL AGE IN YEARS = 464 or 25.77

Remove Balanta because he's out on loan for either Mackie or Clarke and Kenny comes in instead of Putnins and the average immediately goes up especially because they are of course all a year older.

464 minus Balanta and Putnins age add Kenny and Mackie plus 1 year for each of the remaining players and the average goes up to 27.8333. As someone who has just turned 28 I'd like to think that the average age of the squad are now in their prime. Alternatively they (like me) are getting older and aren't quite as mobile as they use to be.

Comment

Sirpie, i was only jesting yesterday, great stats.
            Worrying if we get promoted as we won't get much for players of the ages they will be then. Meaning not much money to spend when we will definitely need to, just hope the club come up wit a good budget and use some of the promotion money.
            Queens Park Rangers
            NPower Champions 2010/2011

PREMIER LEAGUE 2011 - ETERNITY (Oh well got that wrong, we'll be back though)

Comment

Working...
            X