No announcement yet.

£12m pay off for Cappello?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir pie, I'm not saying the players aren't to blame atall. We have world class players, performances in europe prove that. To say we don't, hence we got kncoked out is the easy answer. We performed well in qualifying but with pretty much same team, we were nnowhere near those levels. Capello is paid a lot to make sure that on the biggest stage in football, they play as a team and perform to their best. They didn't, choked or whatever you want to call it. That for me is mainly the managers fault.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
      Sir pie, I'm not saying the players aren't to blame atall. We have world class players, performances in europe prove that. To say we don't, hence we got kncoked out is the easy answer. We performed well in qualifying but with pretty much same team, we were nnowhere near those levels. Capello is paid a lot to make sure that on the biggest stage in football, they play as a team and perform to their best. They didn't, choked or whatever you want to call it. That for me is mainly the managers fault.
      We had two world class players at this world cup, Rooney he did not turn up, and Cashley Cole. Possibly Gerrard but he is in decline and had an awful season. Lump of Lard has never been world class and can only perform when he has someone to do his running from him i.e a three man midfield. In defence once Ferdinand (again terminal decline) was out the only player with any pace at all is King and he is terminally injured. Our two holding midfield players are slower than slugs and neither can really tackle. Our right back cannot defend, and of our Strikers other than Rooney none of them ended the season in possesion of a first team start.

Our wingers can't cross.

Capello made mistakes, frankly I would like to see if he learns from these applies the lessons before we jettison. But the idea that we are a world class team is laughable. The England team would struggle to make the top 10 in the premiership

Comment

We have all been taken in by the hype of how great the Prem is and that it will naturally make our players better, by believing this we have allowed the clubs to line their own pockets and neglect the game in this country. More money needs to go in to grass roots coaching and development, but the prem clubs are not interested as they can buy success by filling their teams with foreign stars.

The reason we failed at the WC is due to a multitude of problems that include burnt out players and also mistakes by Capello but also includes the fact that our technical ability and tactics are not goos enough. It needs to change and hopefully this disaster MIGHT bring it about.
        RIP: Doug, Sniffer and Pat

Comment

Originally posted by baz View Post
          We had two world class players at this world cup, Rooney he did not turn up, and Cashley Cole. Possibly Gerrard but he is in decline and had an awful season. Lump of Lard has never been world class and can only perform when he has someone to do his running from him i.e a three man midfield. In defence once Ferdinand (again terminal decline) was out the only player with any pace at all is King and he is terminally injured. Our two holding midfield players are slower than slugs and neither can really tackle. Our right back cannot defend, and of our Strikers other than Rooney none of them ended the season in possesion of a first team start.

Our wingers can't cross.

Capello made mistakes, frankly I would like to see if he learns from these applies the lessons before we jettison. But the idea that we are a world class team is laughable. The England team would struggle to make the top 10 in the premiership
          Lampard I agree with personally, never rated him but likes of morinho do. Gerrard is world class just had a poor world cup. Ferdinand has had an injury hit season but again when back I'm sure he'll reach that level. Terry would be in most teams I reckon, he just needs a pacy centre half as a partner.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
            Capello is at fault for the squad he picked just like Lippi and Domenech are for the squads they picked. The International manager does often have a habit of picking the players he knows. Dunga loves Elano, Maradona loves Guiterrez but neither of them are what you would call World Class. Capello was successful with Heskey, Barry and even Upson in the side during qualifying but in this tournament they all flopped. Is it Cappello's fault that Rooney couldn't control a ball for love nor money? Is it his fault that Gerrard was selfish?

I think he was wrong to go with SWP but what was the alternative? An out of form Walcott, an inexperienced Johnson or Young? Hargreaves has been permanently injured and Carrick had a terrible season so he had to go with Barry because the alternative was someone inexperienced. I do think he was wrong not to try 4-4-1-1 or even 4-3-3 but he went with what he knew which had worked fantastically beforehand just in the same way Lippi and Domenech had.

Comment

They all appear to be very good club players.Playing good football when surrounded by maybe better foreign players.

Put them all together in an England shirt - and they are .. and in tournaments, they fail to live up to their FIFA rankings.In this case..i think we stand at 8th...but only made it to the last 16.

Brazil ranked 1 Spain 2 German 6 Argentina 7....i didnt mention Portugal 3 Holland 4......

I don't understand why...man for man...England on paper look a better team than USA, but on the picth...USA looked the better team.

I don't understand why Rooney looked poor and disinterested.Lampard at best, is a very good club player as is Barry and maybe defore.Terry looks shot without a pacey partner....Upson looked relegation material,Johnson poor .....Gerrard average out of position.....dare i say..only Cole looked a decent player, but had no cover in front of him

If we can get are individual ego inded players to bond and play as a team, we could win competitions.Look how Greece won the Euro's...look how Slovakia took Holland to 2-1....But when you have John terry sleeping with everyone's wife or girlfriend it's no wonder there is not a lot of team unity.

Comment

How can Lampard be overated when he got 32 goals for club and country from midfield last season? Astonishing. Could easily have a had a hat-trick against the Germans, just didn't get the luck during the whole tournament.

Lampard and Gerrard are world class and thought they did ok - Everyone else was a let down. Forget their age, they're still the best we have and should not be discarded.

So much crap coming out of the press as to why we failed. The latest being we don't have enough home grown talent and the Prem is filled with foreigners. Fair point, but it hasn't always been - what excuse could be found for not even qualifying in 74 and 78?

People say we have regressed from 2006. 2006 was awful performance-wise even though we got to the quarter finals. Only the display against Algeria let us down this campaign. USA was a 3-0 performance. Slovenia 4 or 5-0. We had more shots and more possession against the Germans. They took their chance, we didn't. Simple. That's football. Just like that 5-1 game flaltered us back in 2001. What about when Liverpool won 4-1 at Man U 2 years ago? Utd still won the league.

The truth is England have had no luck at any World Cup for years.

82 - Didn't lose but still went out
                86 - hand of god
                90 - penalties
                98 - penalties
                02 - Seaman flaps
                06 - penalties
                10 - No luck and and awful refereeing.

There's fine lines between success and failure. For England, that line is still waiting to be crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by irememberlesley View Post

The truth is England have had no luck at any World Cup for years.

82 - Didn't lose but still went out
                  86 - hand of god
                  90 - penalties
                  98 - penalties
                  02 - Seaman flaps
                  06 - penalties
                  10 - No luck and and awful refereeing.

There's fine lines between success and failure. For England, that line is still waiting to be crossed.
                  Sorry, that is just a list of excuses. First you need to go back a lot further. Where were we in 74, 78...94. What about our failure at the Euro's every time.
                  and why do you sight penalties as if that is luck? Penalties are the one element of football that is TOTALLY equal. There is no luck. Every player
                  has the same chance to use their skill and show their mental strength.

The Germans never miss them. The only time they missed one was when they let a Polish player take one.

82 we didn't do well enough and relied on almost dead strikers coiming on to save us.

And goalkeeping flap....the goalie has to perform too.... you are aware of that aren't you?

Hand of God is no more unlucky than any offside goal or anything like that. We still had time and failed to equalise. When we beat Spain in Euro 96 they had onside goals ruled out.

You can be unlucky once or twice...but for 40 years? NO.
                  twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

You can train all you like but you cannot train for goalkeeping errors or 80 yard goalkicks to defend against.

We had enough chances to beat USA despite Green's error - why is that highlighted much more than Heskey's lame excuse of a shot when 1-1? Both were equally poor, but as usual an event that leads to a goal glosses over other shortcomings. Mind you had his shot gone through the keeper's legs like Germany's second goal, it would have been a brilliant finish, as usual, hmm.

OK, I guess penalties is not about luck - though it's difficult to argue that we're due to win one soon.

Luck is shooting on goal and the ball going through James' leg (Germans 1st) or Ozil passing through Cole's legs for their fourth. Neither was a planned execution.

Now the press seem to think Walcot is the answer. God help us all.

Comment

Working...
                    X