Mackie, Clarke and Rumours Galore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackie, Clarke and Rumours Galore

God I love this time of year. Everyone becomes ITK. I even love that there is now an acronym for either being a gossip or just making up stuff.

Anyway, a few weeks ago a couple of members said they are always interested in my opinions when it comes to new signings. Forgot to question them why or say thank you for the compliment so I thought I'd write what my opinions are on the two signings so far and the so called "done deals" and what else has been happening.

If I totally honest I know very little about Clarke. Looking at his career stats (which sometimes can mean everything and other times mean nothing) shows that he spends a lot of the time coming off the bench (18 out of 36 times last season), which sometimes says that a player isn't fit enough or just not good enough. He clearly is a player whose weight fluctuates (type his name into google and you'll see for yourself), which worries me as we lacked fitness across the board last season. Whether Warnock can do it or whether he has to get a Harbin type in, they need to be fitter than they were. Last season Clarke played a full 90 minutes just 5 times, why? Fitness or form? Having spoken to friends they say that he has the ability but needs someone like Warnock. Most people on here were saying that Taraabt should go before Warnock was appointed now those same people want Taraabt to stay because they've seen the difference a proper manager can bring.

The fact that Warnock calls him a gamble says that he won't be a first choice striker next season - if we were to sign Gary Hooper I can't see the official website running with the headline "He's a gamble..." can you? No, he'd be bigging him up saying that we've signed the best striker in the league. The gamble quote I believe was there for our benefit - most haven't picked up on that.

As for Mackie, I like what I've seen so far. Forget his scoring record because as others have already said it's better at 24 than Ambrose's record. How many did Ambrose score when Charlton went down? Exactly. Once again I think Warnock can unleash his true potential. And not surprisingly players play better when surrounded with better players. He won't score 20 next season but he'll score a dozen and there will be many on here who'll have to retract what they've been saying about him.

I've always been a fan of Cook's but as others have said he hasn't delivered since he returned. Mackie basically has to put in 4 or 5 good performances and he'll have been a better investment than Cook was. Whether he plays left wing or up top I think we will be impressed with him before August is even over.

4-3-3 or 4-4-2? If we do sign Ambrose I can see us play both formations. If we don't I still expect us to sign a proper right winger or a striker with pace. Clarke won't be a regular but he'll get his opportunities. I expect we will see Faurlin partnered with either Mahon or Derry (if the rumours are to be believed) and then pace on the wings and a lump upfront. Of course I'd like to see us sign a number of options but I'd be happy with Hulse or Henderson and a Hooper or Cox would do nicely.

Are we signing the Kaka's or Ronaldo's of this world? Nope. But are we a CCC side looking to go up and do we need to show the opposition some fight? Absolutely! Blackpool achieved promotion with a bunch of journeymen and some spirit. If the rumours are to be believed we will sign exactly the same type of players that have just seen Ollie win promotion.

The long and the short of it is that I'm happy to back Warnock because he knows a lot more about football management than you or I do. Oh and I think Mackie will surprise a lot of people.

is there a bet on man of the match?
    id bet on mackie being our man of the match 8 times or over next season. hes gonna be giving it everything hes got, and when he does that, he will be blinding imo.

Comment

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
        God I love this time of year. Everyone becomes ITK. I even love that there is now an acronym for either being a gossip or just making up stuff.

Anyway, a few weeks ago a couple of members said they are always interested in my opinions when it comes to new signings. Forgot to question them why or say thank you for the compliment so I thought I'd write what my opinions are on the two signings so far and the so called "done deals" and what else has been happening.

If I totally honest I know very little about Clarke. Looking at his career stats (which sometimes can mean everything and other times mean nothing) shows that he spends a lot of the time coming off the bench (18 out of 36 times last season), which sometimes says that a player isn't fit enough or just not good enough. He clearly is a player whose weight fluctuates (type his name into google and you'll see for yourself), which worries me as we lacked fitness across the board last season. Whether Warnock can do it or whether he has to get a Harbin type in, they need to be fitter than they were. Last season Clarke played a full 90 minutes just 5 times, why? Fitness or form? Having spoken to friends they say that he has the ability but needs someone like Warnock. Most people on here were saying that Taraabt should go before Warnock was appointed now those same people want Taraabt to stay because they've seen the difference a proper manager can bring.

The fact that Warnock calls him a gamble says that he won't be a first choice striker next season - if we were to sign Gary Hooper I can't see the official website running with the headline "He's a gamble..." can you? No, he'd be bigging him up saying that we've signed the best striker in the league. The gamble quote I believe was there for our benefit - most haven't picked up on that.

As for Mackie, I like what I've seen so far. Forget his scoring record because as others have already said it's better at 24 than Ambrose's record. How many did Ambrose score when Charlton went down? Exactly. Once again I think Warnock can unleash his true potential. And not surprisingly players play better when surrounded with better players. He won't score 20 next season but he'll score a dozen and there will be many on here who'll have to retract what they've been saying about him.

I've always been a fan of Cook's but as others have said he hasn't delivered since he returned. Mackie basically has to put in 4 or 5 good performances and he'll have been a better investment than Cook was. Whether he plays left wing or up top I think we will be impressed with him before August is even over.

4-3-3 or 4-4-2? If we do sign Ambrose I can see us play both formations. If we don't I still expect us to sign a proper right winger or a striker with pace. Clarke won't be a regular but he'll get his opportunities. I expect we will see Faurlin partnered with either Mahon or Derry (if the rumours are to be believed) and then pace on the wings and a lump upfront. Of course I'd like to see us sign a number of options but I'd be happy with Hulse or Henderson and a Hooper or Cox would do nicely.

Are we signing the Kaka's or Ronaldo's of this world? Nope. But are we a CCC side looking to go up and do we need to show the opposition some fight? Absolutely! Blackpool achieved promotion with a bunch of journeymen and some spirit. If the rumours are to be believed we will sign exactly the same type of players that have just seen Ollie win promotion.

The long and the short of it is that I'm happy to back Warnock because he knows a lot more about football management than you or I do. Oh and I think Mackie will surprise a lot of people.
        Good intelligent read !

Comment

Can I just point out that I must be the last fan on here to make no claims about ever being ITK about anything QPR related. I'm more in the dark than a mushroom.

Comment

Another great post by Sirpie.

Comment

I'm more in the dark than Michelle Mc Manus's boyfriend when shes on top!

Comment

and me i know nothing and am quite happy .
                Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Working...
                X