Just Back on the Island...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Back on the Island...

Well having got back home unusually early from Loftus Road, I’ve found myself with a little bit of free time so I thought I would use it to write a report on today’s game (It’s been a while, so apologies if I am a little rusty!).

I have to say that obviously on the whole this season has proved to be a big disappointment, and certainly isn’t one that will live long in the memory… And while the players have at times let us down, I think the same can be said of certain supporters as well. I’ll come back to that later in the report, but it has yet again left me with a bitter taste in my mouth after what was on the whole a pretty decent Ranger’s performance.

The starting line up pretty much picked itself with Cerny in goal, and a defence made up of Leigertwood, Ramage, Gorkss and Tosic at left back. In midfield we had Hogan on the left, with Faurlin and Buzsaky in the middle and Priskin on the right. Upfront it was Taarabt playing just behind Simpson.

We created our first chance of the game within literally the first 30 seconds. Leigertwood brought the ball forward from right back, and drilled it into the centre of the box. It seemed to flick up off a couple of players, and eventually found its way to Simpson who was now around 10 yards or so out. After creating just a little bit of space, we watched on as his shot flew wide of the right hand post.

Taarabt was looking fairly sharp, and while he never had a chance to really run at the Cardiff backline, he had shown some nice touches and movement. I think there was around 8 minutes or so on the clock when he had his first chance to really get at their backline, and after Ephraim had played the ball through to Simpson, he in turn knocked it onto the left hand side of the box to the feet of Taarabt. After doing a couple of stepovers, he threw his body both right then left and the Cardiff defender was all at sea as he got to the by line… With that he flashed the ball across the face of goal with Priskin literally a couple of feet away from making contact with the ball.

We were by far looking the more composed of the two sides, and it was again Taarabt that was looking the danger man. After Faurlin won back possession in the middle of the pitch, he managed to find Taarabt who was unmarked just inside our own half. After spinning away from the defender, he turned at goal and unleashed a curling effort on goal which smashed against the post and was booted clear. The keeper was well beaten, and had it been another inch or so more central no doubt we would be talking about another moment of magic from him. He looked to be enjoying himself, and we were by far looking the better side.

Cardiff did muster their first ‘effort’ on goal shortly after through Jay Boothroyd. After a long ball up field managed to evade Ramage, Boothroyd found himself with space on the left hand side and drilled the ball right across the goalmouth. Cerny was alert to the danger though, and flew out in front of the on waiting striker to claim back possession.

We did have a major let off shortly after, and the physical presence of Boothroyd was again causing us problems. It was again down that left hand side that they were looking to hurt us, and after smashing the ball across the goal again – this time it fell to Burke with literally just the keeper to beat. Fortunately, while he did hit the ball well it flew over the crossbar for a goal kick… Needless to say a whole host of sheep noises and abuse followed shortly after from the QPR fans. In truth, it was a terrible attempt and he should at very least have tested Cerny here.

As the clock ticked down towards half time, both sides were cancelling each other out in truth. Ephraim cut in from the left hand side, and struck a shot from about 25 yards which was easily held by Marshall in the Cardiff goal.

Aside from that we had one other effort literally on the brink of half time. Taarabt was again the architect, and after again putting a cross in from the left hand side it flew over Simpson’s head and Priskin couldn’t muster any reasonable effort on goal. As I’ve said in the past – I’m no huge admirer of Priskin, but I can’t comment on whether or not it was a decent chance as I didn’t have the best view of it. I’ll wait for the replays on that one!

As the referee blew time on the first half, I was actually very satisfied with how we had played. The lack of any physical presence upfront was again apparent, but we had played some nice football, and definitely looked like we may have a goal in us. To be blunt though, the only player that looked like scoring was again Adel Taarabt. Simpson looked pretty off the pace, and I’ll choose not to comment on Priskin at this stage - because my keyboard probably won’t make it through the second half if I do.

Aside from Taarabt, the one other player that really stood out was Peter Ramage. I think most are in agreement that while he is a lovely guy etc, he probably isn’t quite good enough to start week in week out for us. But on this performance in his preferred position of centre back, you just couldn’t fault him. His reading of the game certainly raised my eyebrows on a couple of occasions, it was very encouraging indeed.

Both Warnock and Jones decided not to make any changes at half time, so with the sun beaming down on us the second half started.

As was the case in the first half, we created our first effort on goal within the first minute. Tosic had been having a fairly solid (if unspectacular) game so far, but he sent a delightful cross into the box which found Priskin on the far post… As has been the case for the majority of loan spell the actual effort on goal was week and Marshall again collected it with ease.

Next up, probably one of the biggest moments of the half. Taarabt picked up possession on the left hand side, and with Tosic bombing past him he feinted to pass then bursted down the left hand side leaving the midfielder standing. He got level with the edge of the box, and after some nifty footwork he delivered a glorious ball right into Hogan Ephraim who was located around the penalty spot. The defence were at sixes and sevens, and while Hogan had the time to bring the ball down, he opted to head the ball at goal and left Marshall again with a standard save to make.

Continuing with our attacking play, Taarabt had yet another attempt on goal shortly after. This time after being fed possession by Buzsaky, he turned and ran central towards goal. With the Cardiff defence continuing to back off, he slid the ball onto his left foot and saw a venomous drive flash wide of the post. I noticed on the replays that the keeper stood rooted to the spot – he was well beaten and it would have been some goal.

As had been the case for the majority of the game, we were by far looking the better side but we were nearly punished around the 60th minute mark. Cardiff found themselves with a freekick around 25 yards out with Whittingham stood over the ball. After waiting for the referee to blow his whistle, he struck the ball goalwards and it bounced up and hit Cerny in the face (?!) and with a flurry of Cardiff players waiting to pounce – Ramage flew in front of them all and scrapped the ball out for a corner. Going back to the original shot though, it really should have been a routine save for Cerny. But it was a reminder that despite being by far the better side, Cardiff were certainly no pushovers and still a threat going forward.

Up the other end, and it was Ephraim that was this time guilty of missing another guilt edged chance. After coming deep for possession, Taarabt played a long ball into the box which was expertly plucked out of the air and controlled by Simpson, he delicately played a superb layoff for Hogan – but he blazed the ball over the bar and out for a goal kick. He couldn’t have been more than around 8 yards out, and no doubt will be kicking himself tonight that he didn’t give us a 1-0 lead at this stage.

Gorkss nearly made up for the miss shortly after. We were awarded a corner after tireless running by Simpson pushed the defender into scuffing the ball out. Adel Taarabt came over to take the corner in front of the Q, P & R blocks, and received an ENORMOUS reception by the home supporters. I was keen to catch the emotion on his face, and while responding to us with a clap… he absolutely loved the hearty reception he got by this area of the ground – that was clear as daylight. With what felt like the whole area of this part of the ground all leaning forward bellowing “Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up!” he delivered a marvellous cross into the box, which Gorkss connected well with but it went just over the bar. Despite what was proving a frustrating afternoon, I was delighted to see him receive such an ovation. Funnily enough, the man stood next to me said that it was fully deserved with his recent performances and I couldn’t have agreed more with him.

In typical Rangers fashion (pretty much a cliché with most QPR related games isn’t it?), we were made to pay for the missed chances a matter of minutes later. Faurlin was guilty of giving away possession cheaply when his pass central was picked out by one of their centre midfielders, and after playing the ball out wide – we watched as the cross somehow got past both Gorkss and Ramage and was met by Ledley at the back post. It send the Cardiff fans into a frenzy, and in all seriousness I was disappointed just to be drawing at this stage of the game with all the chances created… but to be losing was a real choker!

My mood was further dampened a few minutes later. I think it was Tosic that played the ball through to Taarabt, and after managing to bustle past one defender he advanced on goal and saw what was a wild attempt on goal fly over the crossbar from outside the area. After looking towards the floor, I looked up to bizarrely see a small number of “fans” in the Upper Loft waving their fists shouting at him. He responded by giving his fair share of fists towards them, and signalled to Warnock that he wanted to be substituted!

Warnock forced him to continue on the pitch though, and shortly after both Simpson and Ephraim were substituted for Cook & Parker. In the final minute the helpless Priskin was also bought off for German. We had two further chances with virtually no time left on the clock.

Firstly after beating his man on the left hand side, Taarabt expertly crossed into the area and Cook came in with a flying volley that seemed to just smash into Marshall from little more than 5 yards out. It would have been a sweet moment, especially with the buoyant Cardiff fans now in full voice in anticipation of clinching their playoff spot.

Next up, it was Parker that provided the trickery on the right hand side. After fooling the left back into thinking he would cut in, he darted down the right hand side and played a cushioned ball into the area that was just screaming out to be thumped home. Unfortunately Cook was just not quite on his wavelength and the ball was smashed clear. With that our final chance at nicking a draw went up in smoke, and the referee blew time on the game shortly after.

In summary, I wasn’t anywhere near as disappointed with the result as I was with a number of our supporters today. On the positive, I actually thought the performance was very good, we played good neat attacking football but just lacked that cutting edge in the final third.

On another day we would have ran out comfortable victors, had Adel’s shot hit the post and gone in, had Priskin had taken either of his 2 chances, had Hogan scored from either of his 3 (!), there was the Gorkss header… I really could go on. Obviously it was frustrating to not register any points after a performance like that, but let’s take nothing away from the opposition, Cardiff are a good side and rightly find themselves in with a great shot of gaining promotion to the Premier League – and we completely outplayed them today. Certainly not bad in my eyes.

Now onto the negative bit… some of our supporters. Where once I was proud of the tremendous noise and backing found at Loftus Road, yet again I sit here completely ashamed of the fickle, childish and downright embarrassing behaviour of certain fans. Their treatment of some of our player’s just beggars belief at times, and I am truly astounded at the way in which they choose to act at times.

Putting the whole “I pay good money / I have a right to boo” etc, let’s just look at the situation as a whole.

On the day: Our most creative player – Adel Taarabt. Our biggest goal threat – Adel Taarabt. The man our new manager has publicly stated he wants to build his team around – Adel Taarabt.

Since Warnock’s arrival: Our most creative player – Adel Taarabt. Our biggest goal threat – Adel Taarabt.

Our number ONE transfer target – Adel Taarabt.

I really do wonder what exactly I am missing here. Since Warnock’s arrival his form has been absolutely outstanding, just a delight to watch - completely unplayable at CCC level. For me, if (it’s a massive IF) we could manage to sign him, I think it would be a truly stunning coup for the club. Had his shot flown into the roof of the net today, the message boards would go into meltdown at what a marvellous player and how we would be stupid not to sign him etc, yet because he missed (and reacted immaturely) to supporters no doubt many will be calling for his head.

I wasn’t fortunate enough to witness the likes of Stan Bowles play for our club (I am in now way trying to put Adel in the same bracket as him). But many older generations of QPR fans have told me about him, and they use almost the same words for him every single time. “It could be a rubbish game, neither side doing anything at all, Stan does absolutely nothing, then suddenly he will turn on a piece of magic and we get the 3 points!”

Like I said, whilst I’m not putting Adel in the same league as Bowles, the comparison is very much the same. It only takes on moment of magic from him to turn a game on it’s head, sadly I fear that with the attitude of some supporters we will only be able to enjoy him for another 3 games. What a crying shame.

Player Ratings –

Cerny – Didn’t have an awful lot to do in honesty. Looked comfortable enough when tested on the rare occasions throughout the afternoon. He still insists on walking the ball past oncoming opposition (and I still insist I would rather see him blast it into row Z). Not sure he had much chance with the goal, so fairly good game from him.

Tosic – I was keen to get a good look at him today, and I thought he again showed he’s a fairly decent player. On a couple of occasions his passes were slightly over hit and misplaced, but I would put that down to lack of games as opposed to ability. Certainly didn’t look the liability at left back as Hill has been, and I thought on the whole looked impressive. Good coming forward too.

Gorkss – Little bit more like the composed Gorkss from earlier in the season. I have to say his form has been edgy recently, but I thought he had a good game. Shame to see his header go over the bar in the second half.

Ramage – Really impressed me at centre back. Like I mentioned earlier in the report, he is a player that I don’t always feel completely comfortable with, but you just couldn’t fault him. Read the game spectacularly, and more than filled in for Stewart. Actually hoping that he continues this form throughout our remaining games, looked far more at home here. Arguably our man of the match.

Leigertwood – Obviously the goal came from down his side, but I think it would be harsh to point the finger at him. Like Gorkss, his recent form hasn’t really impressed me at all. But broke up possession a number of times, although did also get caught out on a couple of occasions.

Hogan – Really should have done better with the chances he was provided with. Well up for the fight, and full of endeavour and effort. Looked gutted at the end.
    Faurlin – Not his best game for us in honesty. Didn’t quite run the midfield as he has done over the last few weeks, but he was LONG LONG overdue a slightly below par game. By no means had a poor performance. No doubt will be disappointed with the goal, but as ever his work rate was top notch.

Buzsaky – Tough one to judge from him today. Displayed a couple of nice touches and passes, but far too defensive for my liking. Couldn’t really influence that game coming forward as he can do, but nice to see him given a run out in the middle!

Faurlin – Not his best game for us in honesty. Didn’t quite run the midfield as he has done over the last few weeks, but he was LONG LONG overdue a slightly below par game. By no means had a poor performance. No doubt will be disappointed with the goal, but as ever his work rate was top notch.

Priskin – Think he was a lucky man that he was virtually next to the board when he was eventually substituted, what a shocking performance! I have looked at him from every possible perspective, and after seeing him since his arrival I have come to the conclusion that he is lazy, completely disinterested, sloppy and… well… rubbish! When people talk of not wanting to see a player in a QPR shirt again, this is the man that those kind of comments should be associated with. A complete waste of space. No chance in the world Warnock will sign him. Think he has had one decent game since being here.

Simpson – Not sure what has happened with Simpson. Full of energy and running, certainly looked fitter than he has done in recent weeks, but its just not happening for him. Thought he actually held the ball up quite well at times today, but just isn’t getting the chances at the moment. Possibly lacking a little confidence?

Taarabt – Shouldn’t have responded to the idiots that decided to lay into him, and certainly shouldn’t have signalled that he wanted to be substituted! That side of him was very disappointing. On the whole though he was hands down our best player going forward. Yes he was maybe a little greedy at times, but I would rather see that spark then for him to strut round the pitch looking dis-interested ala Priskin. If anything I would say he tried too hard. Would love to see him score another wonder goal on Tuesday and silence those critics.

Substitutes –

Cook – Unlucky with his effort on goal, but didn’t have much time to make an impact.

Parker – Nice couple of runs down the right hand side, and cracking ball into the box right at the death. Hope to see abit more of him.

German – No time to make any impact.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, sorry it maybe wasn’t the nicest of reports… But I left today more frustrated with a game than I have been for a long time.

Let’s hope for a similar performance against Watford.

U R’ssss!!!
    Last edited by SM1882; 18-04-2010, 01:27 AM.

thanks for that mate....nice read as always.

Comment

Excellent report. This adel stuff is going to divide fans. I think he's too good for us to worry about any attitude and sulks he has. I mean, he's only 20 too!

Comment

Top report.
        But
        You must understand that the point I'm trying to make is that Warnock shouldn't just ignore what he did in asking to be substituted. I didn't actually see any booing at all, my biggest issue is that a player can't act in that way and then not face consequences. Giving stick back imo is justified if we give it to him, but asking to be substituted is wrong.
        He is young and learning, and if you turn a blind eye to it then he's got every right to think that it's acceptable behaviour, which it isn't.
        Playing professional football is a priviledge that millions dream of, so for him not to want to play is ridiculously childish. If you met a group of people and one of them refused to talk because he was 'better' than everyone else, then you'd call him an arrogant p*ick... but if a footballer thinks he's too good for the football club and he can act in that way then it's perfectly acceptable???
        In essence my point is I took more joy in watching commited tackles and a never say die attitude in players such as Ramage and co at Palace than I did watch tarrabt try and take on the world today

Comment

Btw Quaz I actually love your signature, because I myself would rather be a man like Ramage than a child like Tarrabt... that is all :-)

Comment

Originally posted by qpr_rich View Post
            Top report.
            But
            You must understand that the point I'm trying to make is that Warnock shouldn't just ignore what he did in asking to be substituted. I didn't actually see any booing at all, my biggest issue is that a player can't act in that way and then not face consequences. Giving stick back imo is justified if we give it to him, but asking to be substituted is wrong.
            He is young and learning, and if you turn a blind eye to it then he's got every right to think that it's acceptable behaviour, which it isn't.
            Playing professional football is a priviledge that millions dream of, so for him not to want to play is ridiculously childish. If you met a group of people and one of them refused to talk because he was 'better' than everyone else, then you'd call him an arrogant p*ick... but if a footballer thinks he's too good for the football club and he can act in that way then it's perfectly acceptable???
            In essence my point is I took more joy in watching commited tackles and a never say die attitude in players such as Ramage and co at Palace than I did watch tarrabt try and take on the world today
            so you are assuming Warnock is not going to do anything...what was he supposed to do run on the pitch and give him a rollicking......

Comment

well his post match comments on the official website give a clue. I admit Warnock is shrewd and might be screwing at him behind doors, but I very much doubt it. Tarrabt realises he's a gem for us and is abusing how much we want him and acting like a t*t really. Besides as faurlin has proven this entire season you can be a very talented player and still be classy.

Comment

well his post match comments on the official website give a clue. I admit Warnock is shrewd and might be screwing at him behind doors, but I very much doubt it. Tarrabt realises he's a gem for us and is abusing how much we want him and acting like a t*t really. Besides as faurlin has proven this entire season you can be a very talented player and still be classy.
                last thing i am going to say on this...take away the strop & attitude you take away the player......Bellamy,Ronaldo & even Rooney all throw strops....part of their make-up....Taraabt is a bit like Warnock...you love him or hate him...no in between.

Comment

i thought warnock was poor today. the came was crying out for change but he waited until we conceded to make any. the subs should have come on earlier.

Comment

£30 to watch Ramage - £30 to watch AT?

I rest my case.

Next.

Comment

Maybe the question you should be asking is...
                      Why has our support been so poor this year?
                      To me it's because we don't actually like these players.
                      Furlong, Gallen and Bircham were hardly as talented as Tarrabt, but they were likeable and hard working and people who we wanted to freeze our nuts off on a Boxing day at Plymouth for.
                      We have times where we get a quick buzz, when Tarbs nutmegs or sidesteps a player, but if ou have committed hard working players who are characters the fans are going to want to chant their names.
                      If we chant Tarrabts name he'll probably force the kitmakers to write 'GOD' on the back of his shirt, look at all the 'little people' and then move onto barcelona where his talents can defeat Messi and Iniesta

and Quaz I don't know why this has been debated so much when that line obviously shows our difference. I don't think they have to be like that. If you're good at something, are you forced to be an arrogant s*it? Barca are so good because if they make mistakes, they apologise to each other and recognise their failures. They want to be the best they can be, and that competitiveness makes them great. If they thought they were God when they first started off I doubt they would have got to the level that they're at now.
                      Last edited by qpr_rich; 18-04-2010, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Maybe the question you should be asking is...
                        Why has our support been so poor this year?
                        To me it's because we don't actually like these players.
                        Furlong, Gallen and Bircham were hardly as talented as Tarrabt, but they were likeable and hard working and people who we wanted to freeze our nuts off on a Boxing day at Plymouth for.
                        We have times where we get a quick buzz, when Tarbs nutmegs or sidesteps a player, but if ou have committed hard working players who are characters the fans are going to want to chant their names.
                        If we chant Tarrabts name he'll probably force the kitmakers to write 'GOD' on the back of his shirt, look at all the 'little people' and then move onto barcelona where his talents can defeat Messi and Iniesta

and Quaz I don't know why this has been debated so much when that line obviously shows our difference. I don't think they have to be like that. If you're good at something, are you forced to be an arrogant s*it? Barca are so good because if they make mistakes, they apologise to each other and recognise their failures. They want to be the best they can be, and that competitiveness makes them great. If they thought they were God when they first started off I doubt they would have got to the level that they're at now.
                        pmsl...you used the wrong example fella...Barcelona stink of arrogance thats what makes them so good.....they know they are better than virtually all teams put in front of them.
                        In all sports you have arrogant people it's what makes things exciting.....if all sport was made up of the type of people you use as an example everything would be the same...no change....just everybody doing the same thing.
                        At the end of the day it's all about opinions.

Does this mean if Warnock signs him permantely you will not go or perhaps if you do then not cheer or applaud anything he does.

to me it seems you are throwing a strop because somebody else has.....see the wider picture...quite funny really.

as for the bit about you like my signature...good for you.....if you want to be like ramage....i am pleased for you....me i prefer to be like me.......my own person....perhaps you are not strong enough to create your own personality.

Comment

Barcelona have a right to be arrogant because they produce top class performances on the pitch

today taarabt missed shot after shot but still insisted on shooting from miles out when we were one nil down. he and the team did not produce on the pitch. i would suggest that they sort themselves out before having a pop at fans who have paid to watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam-QPR View Post
                            Barcelona have a right to be arrogant because they produce top class performances on the pitch

today taarabt missed shot after shot but still insisted on shooting from miles out when we were one nil down. he and the team did not produce on the pitch. i would suggest that they sort themselves out before having a pop at fans who have paid to watch them.
                            our fans should take a leaf out of the portsmouth book....few games ago 4-0 down at home to chelsea ( eventually 5-0 ) were singing their socks off...not having a crack at the team or individual players........
                            just because you pay money doesn't mean you are always going to be satisfied with what you pay for.
                            All these fans that think they are perfect people and never have a bad day at the office crack me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Quaz View Post
                              our fans should take a leaf out of the portsmouth book....few games ago 4-0 down at home to chelsea ( eventually 5-0 ) were singing their socks off...not having a crack at the team or individual players........
                              just because you pay money doesn't mean you are always going to be satisfied with what you pay for.
                              All these fans that think they are perfect people and never have a bad day at the office crack me up.
                              taarabt's shooting was not up to scratch today. at one nil down he decided he would shoot from a long way out and that shot followed the others bu going high and wide. once or twice i would say yes get behind him. but this must have been the tenth shot he had that went wide. cheering that won't do anyone any good.

its not as if people boo'd him. they just groaned and he decided that he would wave his arms around like a two year old. not once but twice. to me that is disgraceful. add to that the quote in this or another thread (can't remember) from him thats not the type of player that i want to see on the pitch. what should the fans and management do tip toe around him so we don't upset him. i don't think so. if he wants to continue having that attitude then let him leave otherwise it will do us more harm than good.

Comment

Working...
                              X