Can anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help?

Sitting in the West paddock Sat for the first time (normally R block but money's tight!). I've heard a rumour that there are no bars in SAR these days can anyone confirm this plse? Also where is Smutts?
    22nd February away v Charlton is the 40th Anniversary of my support of QPR and my first game. Away v Chelsea 3-3 23rd Feb 1974. 40 years of pure magic!!

West Paddock has a small bar area. Queues can be long at half time but before kick off normally okay.

General Smuts is in Bloemfontein Road. Off the Uxbridge Road. If travelling into Shepherds Bush Market Station, it's about 3 roads past Loftus Road and a few minutes walk up. Others may have quicker routes.

Comment

Thanks RussRanger. Used to drink in Springbok and the White Horse(UxbridgeRd I think) in the days before kids. Now thet're a lot older - so back to drinking before games!! Want to give Smutts a go!
      22nd February away v Charlton is the 40th Anniversary of my support of QPR and my first game. Away v Chelsea 3-3 23rd Feb 1974. 40 years of pure magic!!

Comment

This site rates it a modest 1.4 out of 10

The General Smuts was a supremely scary place, located in the midst of the White City estate. Barely a night went by without a knife fight or someone being injured outside it. I used to work at the General Smuts at the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall which seemed appropriate as its location made the staff feel as if they were in a West Berlin surrounded by the dangerous East Germany of the White City estate. Each night I would have to take a different route ot work, yet still regularly had bottles chucked at my head. The second largest pub in London, its bars curiously divided precisely on ethnic grounds, with the public bar always being 99% West INdian and the Saloon bar being 99% Irish. In between its two bars, there was an off licence which I used to run and quite successfully - by giving the customers charm, something that they hadn't had at the pub for years, I ended up with queues up the street for people coming in to buy their kids a chocolate bar along with their cans of hard liquor. The unique feature of the off licence was that even if someone had been barred from the pub or anywhere else, they were always welcome in the off licence. I had people attack the three inch thick oak pillars that divided me from the public with clubs and baseball bats on more than one occasion. On the most part however, people were keen to remain calm as it was the absolutely last place left for many alcoholics where they could buy their booze. One evening, they held a romany wedding reception - the evening deteriorated so badly that it ended with two van loads of riot police turning up to drive them off the estate like some Medieval army.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic View Post
          http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...Shepherds_Bush

This site rates it a modest 1.4 out of 10

Comment

Sounds just up my street!!!!!!! Do many of you guys out there use it before games?

Comment

Don't take any notice of that write up think that was quite a few years ago.Not the best pub in the world but decent pint,get served quicker than Bok. Smutts is next to shops in Bloemfontein Rd.

Comment

Originally posted by hemelhoop View Post
                Don't take any notice of that write up think that was quite a few years ago.Not the best pub in the world but decent pint,get served quicker than Bok. Smutts is next to shops in Bloemfontein Rd.
                17th Feb 2010.

Comment

So the Berlin Wall came down in Feb then.

Comment

Been in there a few times this season, not bad on a match day and an easy walk to the ground through the flats. No away supporters and easy to get a pint.
                    RIP: Doug, Sniffer and Pat

Comment

Working...
                    X