Player Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player Budget

Our payroll is the third smallest in the league. I guess you get what you pay for, even though we couldn't beat the team with the smallest budget yesterday.

Just staying up would mean we're exceeding our outlay. I thought we'd loosened the purse strings this season, but apparently not. We're still shopping in the bargain bucket.

We're now in the hangover stage of our recovery from overindulgence. Hair of the dog will put us back on the rocky road to addiction and further complications so it's going to be rough for a while yet. Eze sale being the uncontrollable aspect in this.

Analogies notwithstanding it's why Marti/Christian have had to buy from overseas and not from home because British players with Championship experience are mostly still above our means. I suspect they would've loved two or three with solid Championship experience but were probably banking on Cook/Field/Dunne/Fox/Colback to play that role while the new guys bedded in; Cook aside, the other four, for different reasons, have fallen short. It may well be that the imports will eventually flourish, it may be that they won't.

We're up against some incredible odds in this league - just one look at Burnley with £40m+ parachute payments as well as around £60m of player sales this season tells a tale. Most of the other teams in this league are on much more solid footing than us. It may take us 5-10 years to get that kind of solidity back but only if we don't balls it up by overreaching. It's why I'm not ragging on Nourry - I think this challenge is still as difficult as it has been in the past five years. I'm also sanguine about relegation; as limp as our punching feels so far this season we're still above our weight category.

Comment

Originally posted by ragr View Post
      We're now in the hangover stage of our recovery from overindulgence. Hair of the dog will put us back on the rocky road to addiction and further complications so it's going to be rough for a while yet. Eze sale being the uncontrollable aspect in this.

Analogies notwithstanding it's why Marti/Christian have had to buy from overseas and not from home because British players with Championship experience are mostly still above our means. I suspect they would've loved two or three with solid Championship experience but were probably banking on Cook/Field/Dunne/Fox/Colback to play that role while the new guys bedded in; Cook aside, the other four, for different reasons, have fallen short. It may well be that the imports will eventually flourish, it may be that they won't.

We're up against some incredible odds in this league - just one look at Burnley with £40m+ parachute payments as well as around £60m of player sales this season tells a tale. Most of the other teams in this league are on much more solid footing than us. It may take us 5-10 years to get that kind of solidity back but only if we don't balls it up by overreaching. It's why I'm not ragging on Nourry - I think this challenge is still as difficult as it has been in the past five years. I'm also sanguine about relegation; as limp as our punching feels so far this season we're still above our weight category.
      There was a lot of talk in the summer that we were into a new three cycle of FFP, so I assumed from our signings that these were a cut above what we had previously. I thought our budget had gone up and a few seasons of penny pinching after we overspent during the Warburton reign was over. On that basis my expectations were higher than the reality. I expected our budget to be a few million more. Seems it was rubbish out and rubbish in.

I guess there'll be a dilemma if we get an offer for Chair in Jan, also continuing the wait of some Eze money. But with Palace's league position I doubt they'll consider any sale until the summer.

Comment

We overrate Chair. Waiting for offers for last four transfer windows. No interest.

Comment

Working...
        X