No announcement yet.

Pre Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of UK clubs, we played Wimbledon, Reading and Oxford last summer. Now we will play Spurs, Reading and Brighton. For us as fans, it is much more exciting. Hopefully, it is also more motivating for players and staff.

The main idea with friendlies it to build up match fitness and ease new players into our preferred style of play - not entertaining the fans. I get it that this can be done irrespective of which club we play. I understand some managers prefer to play weaker opponents in friendlies, as they can better control what they are practising. But I cannot stop thinking that if you are ambitious, you have to take the opportunities there are to test yourself against better opponents. Hence, I like to see opponents such as Spurs and Brighton.

We play Spurs and Brighton at home, and not away. I don't know what we can net in profit from such matches, but if it adds £100.000 per match to our bottom line, it is a small but welcome addition to a difficult financial situation in the Championships. Improving QPR revenues is about dozens of details where the profit from friendlies is obviously just one tiny piece in the jigsaw, but nevertheless not unimportant.

Comment

Even though we need to play them they are not to be taken seriously... Just about fitness and touch .

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
        Why wouldn't they book fixtures where the fans can watch , doesn't make sense .
        Might have had a few days out there .
        Well its Real and Barca gotta be ?

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

Yes I think you're right.
          We attracted utd and foxes under warbs, if I remember and yeah we were playing nice stuff then too.
          Nothing to do with Warburton. Prem clubs were grounded from travelling internationally and were forced to slum it with sundry Championship oiks instead. All Championship clubs got glamour friendlies during that covid travel restricted season.

Dunno how we've lured Spuds and Brighton though? Maybe the Euros means they don't wanna further tire their players unduly with globehopping to friendlies overseas? Be interesting to see if other Championship clubs are getting Prem teams visiting too this summer.

Comment

Hopefully Taylor Richards will have a good game against his old team.

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Nothing to do with Warburton. Prem clubs were grounded from travelling internationally and were forced to slum it with sundry Championship oiks instead. All Championship clubs got glamour friendlies during that covid travel restricted season.

Dunno how we've lured Spuds and Brighton though? Maybe the Euros means they don't wanna further tire their players unduly with globehopping to friendlies overseas? Be interesting to see if other Championship clubs are getting Prem teams visiting too this summer.
              Spuds going to Asia after us !!!

Comment

Working...
              X