No announcement yet.

Progress under Marti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marti comes across as a much smarter guy than Beale. I am convinced he will not jump ship just because he is offered twice the salary by a club like Hull or Sunderland. If he did, it would be because there would be something wrong at QPR. Here is my expectation of how he is thinking:

Marti understands he has talent and competence and might one day manage a big European club, either in England or Spain, or in another big league. However, Marti also understands that to be considered for such a job, he has to show that he can build something over time. He needs to demonstrate that he can - together with the club hierarchy - put together and develop a squad that gradually improves over time. He needs to prove that he can build a culture of constant ongoing improvements, rooted not in just one mans hard work, but based on the culture of the club and the effort of all the staff and players. More than anything, he needs to show that he is a team-worker and a team-builder, meaning a proper leader.

There are lots of managers that can manage a short term turnaround. These are the type of managers you bring in during times of crisis. However, many of these managers cannot develop clubs over time. Their style might be either too totalitarian or too intense, so they wear out the squad over time. They are often one-man shows, with a couple of assistants that follow their instructions. They are not necessary team players, that can build cultures that last.

The Championship has a few "go to" managers in times of crisis. However, for various reasons, these have never lasted that long in their respective clubs. They have never been appointed managers by a Premier League club, for good reasons. Warnock is one such manager. He is a journey man. He is expert on short term turnaround, and to his credit, he has also more promotions on his CV that most managers. I love what he once did for QPR - just see my avatar. But despite this, he has never been in contention for a top job in football. Even low level Premiership clubs have overlooked him when they have drawn up their lists of top ten candidates.

If Marti goes to Hull after having saved QPR, he can put on his CV that he can do turnarounds. He can add it to the list next to his jobs in Sandefjord, AaB and Hammarby. But it won't help him reach his long term ambition to manage on the highest level. It will be a step backwards in is career, as he would have to start from scratch at Hull.

I think Marti wants to stay a few seasons at QPR, demonstrating to better clubs that he can orchestrate long term development. I think Venables is his role model. Both are inspired by Johan Cruyff. Venables took over QPR when we were struggling in nowadays Championship. During his first season he guided us to safety, based on a positive style of play. He then started to put together a more balanced team, by making a few good recruitments. The next season, we reached the FA cup final and ended 5th if I am not mistaken. The following season, we won promotion, and in our first season in the top division we ended 5th - our joint second best achievement ever. Thereafter, Venables went to coach Barcelona.

I think Marti wants to take QPR to the Premier League and show to bigger clubs that he can hold his own in the best league in the world.

However, there is one thing that can make Marti change his mind. That is if he thinks the owners and Nourry put hindrances in his way. I don't think that will happen. Nourry and Marti have the same aim. They are both young in their respective roles, and they are both aiming for bigger clubs in the future. They are both desperately dependent on each other. Marti will not succeed unless we recruit smart, but recruitments are under Nourry's responsibility. Nourry will not succeed unless Marti delivers. I am therefore certain that Nourry and Marti works closely with player logistics, and if Nourry thinks Marti doesn't approve an acquisition, it won't happen. Owners have started to learn that they should not meddle with things, as they simply lack any football knowledge. I understand that Amit was the man that forced Ainsworths appointment through, against Ferdinand's (and possibly everyone else) advice. It was one of the most stupid decisions in our history, and it looks to me that Amit has - admirably - admitted it (his "I am so sorry" statement). I therefore trust he and the other owners have learned and will trust Nourry to run the day to day management.

I think Marti will stay for quite a while and I think he will take QPR to the Premier League. I know it is a bold statement, but it is how I feel right now.

Comment

Working...
    X