X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Ajax defender Ar’jany Martha, LB

https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/07/08/...international/

Comment

• Does it all feel very same as the start to last season? Only signing a Goalkeeper and Defenders, with the odd Mid Fielder linked, and STILL no Striker linked or any hint that we are signing one?! I can only hope Marti and the powers that be have a few aces up their sleeve, because starting the season thinking Frey, Dykes, Armstrong and Kolli will get us anywhere near enough goals to stay up, let alone compete in this league is barmy in my opinion! I thought we were in a better position financially with FFP this season after our big spend season dropped off the 3 year rolling FFP calculation?

Comment

• Originally posted by lincoln ranger View Post
        Does it all feel very same as the start to last season? Only signing a Goalkeeper and Defenders, with the odd Mid Fielder linked, and STILL no Striker linked or any hint that we are signing one?! I can only hope Marti and the powers that be have a few aces up their sleeve, because starting the season thinking Frey, Dykes, Armstrong and Kolli will get us anywhere near enough goals to stay up, let alone compete in this league is barmy in my opinion! I thought we were in a better position financially with FFP this season after our big spend season dropped off the 3 year rolling FFP calculation?
        I hope we're holding back till it's known whether we have cash to spend on a top striker. It may depend what we have coming in from Eze, JCS or possibly Chair. Perhaps it's better to wait rather than go cheap now??

Comment

• We are still early in the transfer window and in the same position as a lot of Championship sides waiting for other things to happen first and it then filtering down. For example if we sell JCS or Chair that would free up some funds for a signing or two. If a Premiership side sign a striker that may mean one of their younger prospects becomes available for loan. Strikers are extremely difficult to get and expensive compared to other positions.

I am encouraged by business so far. Under Nourry/Marti we seem to be casting our net wider. So far we have players from France, Brazil and Scotland (via Germany!). A lot of the players we are linked with are from abroad as well. Whilst we have signed players from abroad in previous windows it has not been that many. We need to be clever in the transfer market, particularly with our budget, and early signs are we are trying to do that.

We have the nucleus of a decent side with a manager who knows what to do with it. We do need another striker or two but even without that I would not expect us to be in trouble next season (famous last words).

Comment

• We will not find out the fee for Clark Salter or any other Rangers player, when they are sold, as it will be undisclosed, as usual.
            I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

• Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
              We are still early in the transfer window and in the same position as a lot of Championship sides waiting for other things to happen first and it then filtering down. For example if we sell JCS or Chair that would free up some funds for a signing or two. If a Premiership side sign a striker that may mean one of their younger prospects becomes available for loan. Strikers are extremely difficult to get and expensive compared to other positions.

I am encouraged by business so far. Under Nourry/Marti we seem to be casting our net wider. So far we have players from France, Brazil and Scotland (via Germany!). A lot of the players we are linked with are from abroad as well. Whilst we have signed players from abroad in previous windows it has not been that many. We need to be clever in the transfer market, particularly with our budget, and early signs are we are trying to do that.

We have the nucleus of a decent side with a manager who knows what to do with it. We do need another striker or two but even without that I would not expect us to be in trouble next season (famous last words).
              Would folks care or bother if at some point down the line we end up with a match day squad full of foreigners? I'd accept that in this day or age it's necessary to cast our net far and wide to source players but on balance I would prefer to have a UK heart and soul firmly still within the team. To be clear, I've got absolutely nothing against foreign-born players stepping out in the Hoops, indeed some of my most favourite Rs players came from abroad* - it's a "total numbers" thing I'm talking about. Anyway, sorry to interject with some dodgy musing on the Rumours Thread but it seemed vaguely relevant.

*I realise I'm now sounding like my seriously bigoted late mum who often said things like "I've got nuffin' against 'omosexuals - your Uncle Vic is a poofter afterall"......

Comment

• Eight of the twenty five man squad must be homegrown. A problem Burnley have with 37 senior players and only 6 homegrown.

Comment

• I always thought "talk" of JCS moving for £5-7m to a premiership club was cheap. I know it's only rumours but £10m is peanuts to a premiership club for a 26 yr old player with two years left on his contract. Even with previous injury concerns £10m is still cheap.

https://the72.co.uk/2024/07/10/qpr-p...clarke-salter/

Comment

• JCS for me difficult to value. Wouldn't put much stock in that 'article.' They missed off Fox as one of our centre back options and also say we are looking for another GP as we only have Nardi and Walsh, and of course we have Mahoney too.

No doubt JCS was very good for us last season and showed impressive consistent form. However prior to that he has been injury hit with 29 appearances for Coventry being the most games he has managed in a season.

On the one hand £10m is not a lot of money for a Premiership side to spend on a player, in fact you could argue it would represent good value for someone of JCS's age and experience. On the other hand he has been playing first team football for around 7 years now and last season is the closest he has come to a full season so it is not without risk and you can tend to pick up cheaper options abroad. If a team has money to burn could see it happening.

Personally I think if we can get £6-7m and maybe with some add ons it would not be a bad outcome. We already have Morrison in, could sign someone else for say up to £2m and then bank the rest or use some/all for further signings.

He seems to like it here and if he stays then I can see him and Cook backed up by Dunne, Fox and Morrison giving us a solid base. We do need to sell when players at the height of their value and have let players go too cheap or for nothing in the past so I appreciate a compelling argument for cashing in now. Outside of financial good sense though I have no problem at all with players staying and hopefully doing the business for us. Will be nice to be able to just enjoy things after some very grim years.

Comment

• I live near Wolverhampton and rumours are of £8 - £10 million for JCS.

Good player, but don’t worry lads, I’ll come and pick him and pay the fuel for that !

Comment

• Pleased daddy’s little boy has gone.

edit sorry wrong thread, should have posted on Willock.
                        I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

• Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
                          Eight of the twenty five man squad must be homegrown. A problem Burnley have with 37 senior players and only 6 homegrown.
                          Thing is, "homegrown" has nothing to do with nationality. A homegrown player is simply a player that's played in England/Wales for three years before the end of the season they turn 21 in. This is why rich teams buy boatloads of foreigners aged 17/18 and sit on them or farm them out on loan whilst they tot up the requisite 3 years. William Saliba is homegrown but that Scottish fellah we just bought isn't homegrown for instance.

I'm guessing most folks assume homegrown means "British and came through the ranks at his current club" but it doesn't at all. Someone like Saliba will always be regarded as homegrown in English football even if he subsequently moves to several different prem clubs. When Greg Dyke bought in the rules he wanted them far more stringent, think he wanted 5 years before age 18? But, clubs moaned and cited all manner of employment rules and human rights nonsense and got it watered down.

I don't think Sinclair Armstrong can qualify as homegrown, I reckon he's 2 months too old! This could be a negative factor in terms of his transfer value maybe.

Comment

• Not a bad shout that

Comment

• Originally posted by Abseits View Post

Thing is, "homegrown" has nothing to do with nationality. A homegrown player is simply a player that's played in England/Wales for three years before the end of the season they turn 21 in. This is why rich teams buy boatloads of foreigners aged 17/18 and sit on them or farm them out on loan whilst they tot up the requisite 3 years. William Saliba is homegrown but that Scottish fellah we just bought isn't homegrown for instance.

I'm guessing most folks assume homegrown means "British and came through the ranks at his current club" but it doesn't at all. Someone like Saliba will always be regarded as homegrown in English football even if he subsequently moves to several different prem clubs. When Greg Dyke bought in the rules he wanted them far more stringent, think he wanted 5 years before age 18? But, clubs moaned and cited all manner of employment rules and human rights nonsense and got it watered down.

I don't think Sinclair Armstrong can qualify as homegrown, I reckon he's 2 months too old! This could be a negative factor in terms of his transfer value maybe.
                              Think you need to read up on the restrictions on signing foreign youth players.

Comment

• Hi Guys,
                                Willock is arguably the best attacking midfielder in the championship with exceptional first touch and playmaking abilities. Despite recent form, his talent remains undeniable. Strengthening our defense and securing a proven goal scorer could unleash his full potential. Dickie's experience is valuable, but we need pace in his position. Securing a transfer fee for him could benefit the team's needs.

Comment

Working...
                                X