No announcement yet.

Transfer rumours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers Jeff, that's fantastic news about Willock and that a deal isn't completely dead and I like the sound of this full back, certainly sounds like a very technical player
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

• EENiTXaWwAAUG7v.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

This is how I understand the Kelman situation:

We started the January transfer window with no funds to strengthen the team. We had to be creative, to find ways to strengthen, if we should increase the chance of avoiding relegation. The loan deal of Dozzell was a gift sent from heaven and contributed well. Firstly, it freed up salaries of around £10k a week. On top, I assume we received a loan fee as he went to a competitor. It was also helpful that Sutton took Duke-McKenna on loan.

However, this might have been enough to get the three first signings across the line (Frey, Hodge, Hayden), but we needed a bit of extra creativity to afford Andersen.

This is where Kelman came into the picture. Kelmans contract was due to expire in June 2024. The club announced that we had extended it in connection with the loan deal signed with Wigan in January this year. Contracts for players registered for the first team have to run until the end of the season (they cannot expire in the midst of a season), so we extended it until 30 June 2025.

I am quite sure Marti doesn't expect Kelman to feature for QPR next season. He is not part of Martis plans, as he is simply not good enough. So why did we prolong his contract? Here is my take:

By extending Kelmans contract, the cost of amortising the acquisition costs of Kelman (the original transfer fee and any sign on fee we paid in 2020) will be spread over a longer period, which led to a saving in the the way FFP is computed in the 23/24 season. .

What does this mean in monetary term: Lets say we paid £600.000 for Kelman on a three year contract in 2000. This meant that we had to amortise the costs over three seasons, which would be £200.000 per season. When we extended the contract for the first time in 2023, the amortisation for the third season was suddenly spread over two seasons, with £100.000 in 22/23 and £100.000 in 23/24.

By extending his contract again (for a second time) in January 2024, we managed to spread the final £100.000 over two season, so £50.000 in 23/24 and £50.000 in 24/25. Hence, we freed up £50.000 in January (in the way FFP is calculated) that could go towards securing a deal with Andersen. We were sailing so close the the wind that this small amount was make it or break it when it came to Andersens signing.

Kelman's salary is modest, so the club took the risk, knowing it would allow us to sign Andersen without jeopardising the FFP limits. I think it was a clever move.

I think we will look to loan Kelman to Wigan or any other club, or to sell him or let him leave on the free, if he finds a new club. He is not part of our plans. But right now, he is contracted to June 2025.
        I see that Kelman has signed a one year loan agreement with Orient, running until the end of contract period with us. I am quite sure Orient covers his salary, assumed to be modest (£2.000?). Hence, our move to extend his contract in January, even though he was not part of Martis plans, just to save on amortisation costs, to afford to sign Andersen, turned out to be a very shrewd move. It makes me think we are run by smarter people now than before (Nourry/Mari vs Hoos/Ferdinand).

I see a lot of fans over at LFW think we were stupid to prolong Kelmans contract by a year, just to loan him out for a full season thereafter, but they might not have taken time to consider that this was part of a move to be able to sign Andersen without compromising FFP. I do not blame people for not understanding the amortisation rules. The reason to become a football fan is not a wish to study accounting and FFP rules.

Comment

• If we forget last season he could be looked upon as a new signing. With a full pre season he may show us why we got him in ?

"A weird one" - Michael Frey claim made amid mixed QPR spell (footballleagueworld.co.uk)

Comment

• Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
            If we forget last season he could be looked upon as a new signing. With a full pre season he may show us why we got him in ?

"A weird one" - Michael Frey claim made amid mixed QPR spell (footballleagueworld.co.uk)
            Yes. The few games I saw him he looked the part - have to say he looked lively, mobile and physically "up for it" in terms of battling in the EFL.. it felt to me like he was being lined up as Lyndon's replacement should we decide to cash-in on Dykes. It will indeed be interesting to see what he can do if he's injury-free and raring to go with a full pre-season under his belt.

What with Kohli coming back from injury we might suddenly be looking at having some decent options up top with competition for places. Armstrong will need to get his head straight and get focussed on the here and now or he could find himself down the pecking order and a peripheral figure otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

I see that Kelman has signed a one year loan agreement with Orient, running until the end of contract period with us. I am quite sure Orient covers his salary, assumed to be modest (£2.000?). Hence, our move to extend his contract in January, even though he was not part of Martis plans, just to save on amortisation costs, to afford to sign Andersen, turned out to be a very shrewd move. It makes me think we are run by smarter people now than before (Nourry/Mari vs Hoos/Ferdinand).

I see a lot of fans over at LFW think we were stupid to prolong Kelmans contract by a year, just to loan him out for a full season thereafter, but they might not have taken time to consider that this was part of a move to be able to sign Andersen without compromising FFP. I do not blame people for not understanding the amortisation rules. The reason to become a football fan is not a wish to study accounting and FFP rules.
              Oslo, another thought. Assume Kelman signed for 600k on three year deal with one year option in our favour.

Amortisation, did we spread original 600k over three years, or four years. Include option in calculations.

When Kelman contract expired last season, we had little choice but to exercise option. 150k FFP losses otherwise.

Comment

• Smart thinking, Isleworth. You might be right and we freed up 75k by the move, not 50k, if the original acquisition sum was 600k. In any way, it has worked out well and it made the Andersen signing possible.

Comment

• What has happened to Isaac Hayden to QPR?
                  I thought that was a nailed on certainty.
                  He wanted to come back, Marti seemed happy, yet nothing has transpired.
                  Apparently he is in the middle east right now

Comment

• Hetteven ‘& Morrison at training in Girona but not signed yet, pictures on X

Comment

• Hevertton and Morrisson have just been confirmed. Three down, ten to go!

Comment

• Dave, I think Hayden has not yet reached a settlement with Newcastle. That is the reason there is no news on his potential signing for us. It is a good old power game and it might go all the way until the final stage of the transfer window.

Comment

• Good news on signings. If JCS does move on then presumably they are hoping between Dunne, Morrison and Fox we have adequate cover.

Hevertton an interesting one. We have Cannon on a long term contract and Dunne did very well there last season. Good to have some options. Can't wait to see who next couple will be, a striker would be nice!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffqpr View Post
                            Hetteven ‘& Morrison at training in Girona but not signed yet, pictures on X
                            Morrison is in the first half starting 11 tonight.

Comment

• Good to get them in early.

positive signings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isleworth116 View Post
                                Good to get them in early.

positive signings.
                                And at a good age to

Comment

Working...
                                X