Points Per Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Points Per Game

Over the past 10 seasons the average points per game needed to finish in the top 6 is 1.608 (which equates to 74 points over a 46 match season) Below are two columns the left being the number of matches times by 1.608 and the left column is the points that Preston had accumulated on a match per match basis last season when they finished 6th.

As you'll see that we should be on 18 after 11 games and currently we are on 17 but after 12 matches we should be on only 19 so a win tonight and we are ahead. Preston were also on 17 after 11 matches and they were still on 17 after 13 matches. In fact they only won 3 points from the next five matches so anything more than 3 points against Reading, Derby, Leicester, Palace and Wednesday will mean that we will be ahead of Preston at the same stage.

11 matches = 18 points ---- Preston 11 matches = 17 points
    12 matches = 19 points ---- Preston 12 matches = 17 points
    13 matches = 21 points ---- Preston 13 matches = 17 points
    14 matches = 23 points ---- Preston 14 matches = 20 points
    15 matches = 24 points ---- Preston 15 matches = 20 points
    16 matches = 26 points ---- Preston 16 matches = 21 points
    17 matches = 27 points ---- Preston 17 matches = 24 points
    18 matches = 29 points ---- Preston 18 matches = 27 points
    19 matches = 31 points ---- Preston 19 matches = 28 points
    20 matches = 32 points ---- Preston 20 matches = 31 points
    21 matches = 34 points ---- Preston 21 matches = 31 points
    22 matches = 35 points ---- Preston 22 matches = 34 points
    23 matches = 37 points ---- Preston 23 matches = 37 points
    24 matches = 39 points ---- Preston 24 matches = 37 points
    25 matches = 40 points ---- Preston 25 matches = 40 points
    26 matches = 42 points ---- Preston 26 matches = 41 points
    27 matches = 43 points ---- Preston 27 matches = 44 points
    28 matches = 45 points ---- Preston 28 matches = 47 points
    29 matches = 47 points ---- Preston 29 matches = 47 points
    30 matches = 48 points ---- Preston 30 matches = 48 points
    31 matches = 50 points ---- Preston 31 matches = 49 points
    32 matches = 51 points ---- Preston 32 matches = 50 points
    33 matches = 53 points ---- Preston 33 matches = 53 points
    34 matches = 55 points ---- Preston 34 matches = 53 points
    35 matches = 56 points ---- Preston 35 matches = 56 points
    36 matches = 58 points ---- Preston 36 matches = 56 points
    37 matches = 59 points ---- Preston 37 matches = 56 points
    38 matches = 61 points ---- Preston 38 matches = 57 points
    39 matches = 63 points ---- Preston 39 matches = 60 points
    40 matches = 64 points ---- Preston 40 matches = 61 points
    41 matches = 66 points ---- Preston 41 matches = 62 points
    42 matches = 68 points ---- Preston 42 matches = 62 points
    43 matches = 69 points ---- Preston 43 matches = 65 points
    44 matches = 71 points ---- Preston 44 matches = 68 points
    45 matches = 72 points ---- Preston 45 matches = 71 points
    46 matches = 74 points ---- Preston 46 matches = 74 points

After 11 matches last season:
    Burnley = 16 points (19 points after 12 matches)
    Sheffield United = 17 points (18 points after 12 matches)
    Preston = 17 points (17 points after 12 matches)
    Reading = 20 points (23 points after 12 matches)
    Birmingham = 24 points (27 points after 12 matches)
    Wolves = 25 points (25 points after 12 matches)

I'll blog this post so that if throughout the season you want to see if we are ahead/behind of where we should be you'll be able to find this thread easily.

Nice to see stas as always, but don't forget that a side could be placed around 15th-18th on maybe 12 points in Nov and still go up. Sunderland were below QPR a few seasons ago when the played QPR at LR in late Oct/early Nov and went on to win the title.

And Hull went up via the P/Os after being a bottom half side at around the same time, when LDC was winning his 1st game in charge of QPR against them.

On the other hand, Watford got off to a good start for tghe 1st 12 games or so after getting relegated from the Prem, and then dropped like a stone to finish in the bottom half.

In other words, it doesn't really make much difference how well a side is doing at this stage of the season.

Having said that, I want QPR to do as well as they can throughout the season in order to try and boost morale amongst everyone, players, Board and fans alike.

22 wins, 15 draws, 9 defeats = 81 points. That should be enough for a top 6 place and is well within this squad's capability.

Comment

I have to hand it to you, your stats are something else.

Comment

Thanks MYU.

Stanistheman is quite correct. Hull in 07/08 had only 12 points after 11 matches and finished with 75 points whereas Watford were on 26 points after 11 matches and finished with 5 points fewer than Hull. As for the year that Sunderland won the Championship (06/07) they lost their opening four matches, had just 13 points after 11 matches and went on to win the league finishing 13 points ahead of 6th place.

Comment

I take your point on that Sir Pie. However, I always think that a promotion winning team should be looking at averaging 2 points a game - generally winning at home and drawing away. I bow to your greater statistical knowledge but wd have thought if you suceeded in that you would certainly be pretty close to going up automatically. Think this is what we should be aiming for because, although its an achievement to reach the play offs it actually only leaves you with a 25% chance of getting anything out of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
            I take your point on that Sir Pie. However, I always think that a promotion winning team should be looking at averaging 2 points a game - generally winning at home and drawing away. I bow to your greater statistical knowledge but wd have thought if you suceeded in that you would certainly be pretty close to going up automatically. Think this is what we should be aiming for because, although its an achievement to reach the play offs it actually only leaves you with a 25% chance of getting anything out of the season.
            Completely agree the numbers above should be the absolute minimum. If and when we are considerably ahead of them I will put up the stats on what it takes on average over the last 10 years to go up automatically.

Comment

the past is not really relevant,yes we could get the average points, but still find ourselves short of the play offs.just need to keep in the top 6;but we have a history of getting close to the top 6 then going on a bad run

Comment

Working...
              X