Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offside Rule

What exactly is the rule as I have now given up trying to understand it

I always thought that if any part of your body was onside then your on. Just seen the goal that Nigeria had chalked off and to me and my understanding of the rules hes on as his foot was onside even if body was not but the commentators are saying good decision when I think its an applying one

The actual law is pretty straight forward until the 'unlesses' kick in. Basically if you're nearer to the goal than the ball is when the ball is played to you, you're offside, notwithstanding from goal kicks, throw ins, corners blah blah.. I dont ever remember seeing a definition of what part of the player has to be 'onside' so I would assume its all of him!
    The simplest answer is to dictate that any part of the player in an offside position makes him offside. The speed at which the game is played and the runs that players make along the back four make it pretty much impossible to see if a foot is still onside but its much simpler to see if its offside in the split second assistants get.

There'll never be a simple, straightforward answer West, if there was, the pundits would have nothing to talk about The pundits dont know what theyre yapping about half the time anyway. I remember once listening to them saying what an excellent decision the referee had made because he'd given a free kick precisely on the penalty area line where the foul had taken place and therefore not being 'in' the box it wasnt a penalty, chimps!
    Last edited by Kevster269; 30-06-2014, 05:36 PM.
    2011-2013, 2 seasons in the Premiership, 76 games, 14 wins........two years of my life I'll never get back!!

2013/2014 mediocrity topped off with a win at Wembley....

2014/2015 was pretty much the same as 2011-2013.....

2015/2016, average at best.....

2016/2017, same old, same old....

2017/2018, aim low, avoid disappointment!

Its the hope that kills you!

Comment

Your right Kev I listen to commentators sometimes and think your watching something different to me

Comment

Ok wests it simple really..... If you venture near to the goalkeeper of any of the top 7 "big" clubs in the Prem, you are offside. This is stringently applied to any promoted teams, or such clubs that are deemed unworthy
        to be on the same pitch as said teams.If such an unworthy club has the audacity to try and take the lead in such a match, the official has no alternative but to disallow such unsportsman like
        behaviour. If this behaviour is replicated on one of the chosen ones home ground then not only does the ref disallow the effort he must also by laws of fifa and the fa dismiss a player from the oiky club
        and award dubious penalties to the big side to even things up.!!

Comment

**** me Dave, it all makes sense now

No wonder I got so much Dog's abuse wearing the black kit!!
          2011-2013, 2 seasons in the Premiership, 76 games, 14 wins........two years of my life I'll never get back!!

Comment

thats actually accurate especially at OT

Comment

Comment

In my house it's known as the "make it up as you go along" rule...

Oh and top 6 teams are allowed to use Force Majeure twice a game...

Comment

Nothing surprises me with the officials at this World Cup any more
                  Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                  Pawel Wszolek - 6
                  Luke Freeman - 6
                  Matt Smith - 6
                  Ebere Eze - 4
                  Joel Lynch - 3
                  Tomer Hemed - 3
                  Toni Leistner - 2
                  Massimo Luongo- 2
                  Angel Rangel - 2
                  Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                  Geoff Cameron - 1
                  Aramide Oteh - 1
                  Jake Bidwell - 1
                  Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Kevster269 View Post
                    The actual law is pretty straight forward until the 'unlesses' kick in. Basically if you're nearer to the goal than the ball is when the ball is played to you, you're offside, notwithstanding from goal kicks, throw ins, corners blah blah.. I dont ever remember seeing a definition of what part of the player has to be 'onside' so I would assume its all of him!
                    The simplest answer is to dictate that any part of the player in an offside position makes him offside. The speed at which the game is played and the runs that players make along the back four make it pretty much impossible to see if a foot is still onside but its much simpler to see if its offside in the split second assistants get.

There'll never be a simple, straightforward answer West, if there was, the pundits would have nothing to talk about The pundits dont know what theyre yapping about half the time anyway. I remember once listening to them saying what an excellent decision the referee had made because he'd given a free kick precisely on the penalty area line where the foul had taken place and therefore not being 'in' the box it wasnt a penalty, chimps!

Do you mean last defender, rather than ball. Would be a very strange game otherwise.

Comment

If any part of your body that you can legally score a goal with is between the second last and last defender - then you are offside. So if your head is between the GK and the defender then you are offside even if the rest you your body is on. THis was a rule change last year although not classed as a change more of a 'rephrasing'.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post

Do you mean last defender, rather than ball. Would be a very strange game otherwise.
                        Nope. Exactly as I said. The defender bit is one of the 'unlesses'. You're offside unless there are two members of the opposing team (any two, not necessarily defender and goalkeeper) between you and the goal.

Comment

Working...
                        X