Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Dawson

#WBA ** #England ⚽️ @WbafcNews · 25m
    BURNLEY are expected to persist in their attempts to sign West Brom’s Craig Dawson – with the centre back keen to leave the Hawthorns. #wba

#WBA ** #England ⚽️ @WbafcNews · 25m
    The Clarets are understood to have had a bid rejected for Dawson, thought to have been in the region of £1m. #wba

#WBA ** #England ⚽️ ‏@WbafcNews 25m
    A number of clubs – including fellow promoted sides Leicester and QPR as well as a range of sides in the Championship #wba

Thoughts on this one? I'd be very happy but its a shame we could have got him 4 years ago http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ine-up-3357149

Why would you be very happy? He's hardly outstanding is he? He'd be a good addition in a position we're desperate to improve on but he'd only be a squad player for us in my opinion, which is why he wants out at WBA. Burnley would be a good move for the lad.

Comment

A young, english defender who scores a fair few goals? I think he has a lot of potential will which will only show once he starts getting games again. Would be a better option than Lescott and on a much smaller wage

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
        A young, english defender who scores a fair few goals? I think he has a lot of potential will which will only show once he starts getting games again. Would be a better option than Lescott and on a much smaller wage
        Played most of his career in the lower leagues and at 24, how much more potential does he have? WBA's centre backs are hardly brilliant either, which asks the question, why couldn't he get in that team?

As I said, he'd be a good addition due to a number of factors but he wouldn't be a starter. As for being a better option than Lescott, wages wise, that's a given but footballing wise, Dawson isn't in Lescott's league.

In a previous thread I mentioned we can afford two or three 'marquee' signings on biggish wages due to the vast income levels now in the Premier League. I'd be very happy with Lescott and De Jong being two of the three signings, which would be the base of a very strong spine, something imperative for next season.

Comment

Good player but Michael Keane is the real star of that Under-21 backline.

I wouldnt mind Dawson though. Develop him with Donaldson.

Comment

Okay I can see your points with regards to Dawson.
            However, in terms of the two or three 'marquee' signings, yes they will be affordable, but do we want to upset current players at the squad such as Hill, Simpson, Austin who are on £20-30k a week by bringing in a few players on £80k? It was mentioned last time by players such as Hill and Mackie, who couldn't believe how much some of the other players were on compared to how they trained and performed and it obviously affected the morale of the squad.
            We've done well over the last season to get rid of most of these high earners and start to build a good base again. Once we get rid of the last few on big wages (SWP, Cesar etc.) it will give us some money to play with and we can gradually start increasing the wages offered again, to build and strengthen in the long term.

What I think we need is to find a balance between players such as C. Dawson and Lescott. Ashley Williams may be a good example of this?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
              Okay I can see your points with regards to Dawson.
              However, in terms of the two or three 'marquee' signings, yes they will be affordable, but do we want to upset current players at the squad such as Hill, Simpson, Austin who are on £20-30k a week by bringing in a few players on £80k? It was mentioned last time by players such as Hill and Mackie, who couldn't believe how much some of the other players were on compared to how they trained and performed and it obviously affected the morale of the squad.
              We've done well over the last season to get rid of most of these high earners and start to build a good base again. Once we get rid of the last few on big wages (SWP, Cesar etc.) it will give us some money to play with and we can gradually start increasing the wages offered again, to build and strengthen in the long term.

What I think we need is to find a balance between players such as C. Dawson and Lescott. Ashley Williams may be a good example of this?
              The problem last time was giving every new signing big wages and they didn't care. It wasn't just a few on £60-80k. Having two or three is more acceptable and players such as Lescott and De Jong aren't of the same mindset as Bosingwa, Cesar, SWP, Adel etc. Joey is by far and away our highest earner in terms of people who played a lot last season but is thought very well of by everyone, due to his attitude and performances. Players aren't really fussed about others wages if they earn it, something 90% of our players didn't do in our Premier League campaigns.

Dawson would be a good addition and would improve our squad, he's got a lot going for him and should be the type of player we're interested in, but only to build a good, solid squad.

Comment

Working...
              X