Reality checks needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
    Thats what it feels like on here sometimes mate...Even the thread just above yours which is saying dont want to go down that route again with townsend makes me laugh out loud. What did he ever do when he was at QPR to ever make any of us question his commitment or to show he would disrupt team spirit. A young lad with huge potential who prob wont come to us anyway but now to some not good enough to wear the qpr shirt lol. Plus beiing critisized because hes got the ability to go past a player and actually do something with the ball.
    Oh well maybe we have missed something mate and they know something we dont. We must all of a sudden have the pulling power of city, scum and madrid and the likes of townsend can waste their careers at the little clubs like spurs and everton
    Never once did I question his commitment or say he wasn`t fit to wear the shirt so please don`t miss quote me.
    I did however say he is a greedy player.
    Have you ever played with your mates or in a team that has a player that thinks he`s messi and Ronaldo rolled into one?
    I`m guessing you have, I`m guessing we all have.
    How frustrating is it? To be in a better position and be screeming for the ball only to see said Messi try and take on the whole opposition and have a shot at the end?
    This happens over and over again until you stop making runs and getting into position, stop asking for the ball and in a couple of instances (for me)coming to blows over it.
    That is what I see Townsend as, If we signed him it would be a cracking signing on the face of it, but think it would alienate the rest of our attack.
    That`s OK for a side that creates loads of chances but one like ours where every attack matters I fear he would do more harm than good in the long run.
    I also don`t see City and the likes going for players from the championship like I said we should.
    I think a reality check IS needed, but not by me, I don`t think we have much pulling power as a club (But now being in the prem helps), I do think we will struggle next season and would love us just to scrape survival, Townsend could walk into nearly any premiership club so why would he chose us? Money? I`m guessing so (been there before).
    Let him go to Spurs or Everton or another established prem club that has players that work hard and know what it takes to stay in the division and do well.
    Meanwhile we`ll no doubt be struggling and fighting for every point we can get so isn`t it better to keep the team spirit we have or waste it on a luxury we CAN`T afford?

Comment

Thats what it feels like on here sometimes mate...Even the thread just above yours which is saying dont want to go down that route again with townsend makes me laugh out loud. What did he ever do when he was at QPR to ever make any of us question his commitment or to show he would disrupt team spirit. A young lad with huge potential who prob wont come to us anyway but now to some not good enough to wear the qpr shirt lol. Plus beiing critisized because hes got the ability to go past a player and actually do something with the ball.
      Oh well maybe we have missed something mate and they know something we dont. We must all of a sudden have the pulling power of city, scum and madrid and the likes of townsend can waste their careers at the little clubs like spurs and everton
      Never once did I question his commitment or say he wasn`t fit to wear the shirt so please don`t miss quote me.
      Have you ever played with your mates or in a team that has a player that thinks he`s messi and Ronaldo rolled into one?
      How frustrating is it? To be in a better position and be screeming for the ball only to see said Messi try and take on the whole opposition and have a shot at the end?
      This happens over and over again until you stop making runs and getting into position, stop asking for the ball and in a couple of instances (for me)coming to blows over it.
      That is what I see Townsend as, If we signed him it would be a cracking signing on the face of it, but think it would alienate the rest of our attack.
      That`s OK for a side that creates loads of chances but one like ours where every attack matters I fear he would do more harm than good in the long run.
      I also don`t see City and the likes going for players from the championship like I said we should.
      I think a reality check IS needed, but not by me, I don`t think we have much pulling power as a club (But now being in the prem helps), I do think we will struggle next season and would love us just to scrape survival, Townsend could walk into nearly any premiership club so why would he chose us? Money? I`m guessing so (been there before).
      Let him go to Spurs or Everton or another established prem club that has players that work hard and know what it takes to stay in the division and do well.
      Meanwhile we`ll no doubt be struggling and fighting for every point we can get so isn`t it better to keep the team spirit we have or waste it on a luxury we CAN`T afford?

Comment

Originally posted by Midgeyboy View Post
        Some valid points there fella.
        Its about balance as well though - think of the year we come up and what was taarabt like. A maverick who could take it around 2 -3 players and plant one in the back of the net. Same about morrison on occassions. I dont see how it would alienate the rest of our attack too we need different options and townsend is getting some unfair flack imo. Yes the lad does cut in alot and spank one at the goal a few times and boy we could of done with more of that that this year but I have seen him plenty of times beat a man and whip a ball in the box which we have been missing too.
        When your a prem striker or play pro its different from playing in the park too. Strikers at this level should be more disciplined and with a decent cm and another winger who maybe has a different style to townsends then it wont effect them too much from making the runs.
        The fact he can walk into most prem clubs as you say is the reason why if available and could come to QPR its not something to snub. He hasnt reached the dizzy heights of champ league football or a established england career so the lad has a hell of a lot to do and achieve.
        Dont see at all where your coming from with his team spirit or this luxury quote you have applied to him. Played with a lot of players like townsend upto semi pro level and they are often the ones who win you a game and yep sometimes they can be frustrating but they are also the ones who can win you a game out of nothing.

Comment

Fair enough...
          I loved him when we had him on loan and he stuck out like balls on a bull dog, by far our best player even in the short time we had him.
          I think my point is, I would never snub him and in a way would love us to get him, but I think he would be a better signing maybe next season if we stay up (please god) when the rest of the squad knows what is expected of them and know what it takes for survival in this division, giving him the freedom to attack.
          He is a cracking player but would think he`s more suited to an established premiership side ie Swansea, Southampton, Everton, Spurs, Newcastle.
          Only my opinion don`t mean to be an argumentative cokc

Comment

Originally posted by Midgeyboy View Post
            Fair enough...
            I loved him when we had him on loan and he stuck out like balls on a bull dog, by far our best player even in the short time we had him.
            I think my point is, I would never snub him and in a way would love us to get him, but I think he would be a better signing maybe next season if we stay up (please god) when the rest of the squad knows what is expected of them and know what it takes for survival in this division, giving him the freedom to attack.
            He is a cracking player but would think he`s more suited to an established premiership side ie Swansea, Southampton, Everton, Spurs, Newcastle.
            Only my opinion don`t mean to be an argumentative cokc
            Haha mate dont think your a argumentative cokc lol -You have your views its good to stand by them and tbf I think I understand what your getting at even if I dont necessarily completely agree. You'd prefer a more industrial type of player this year for the sake of the team a proper grafter rather than risk the flair side.
            I personally hope we have plenty of graters but at prem level you need a bit of quality to so again been said so many times and dont envy being a manager its just getting the right balance.

Comment

Haha mate dont think your a argumentative cokc lol -You have your views its good to stand by them and tbf I think I understand what your getting at even if I dont necessarily completely agree. You'd prefer a more industrial type of player this year for the sake of the team a proper grafter rather than risk the flair side.
              I personally hope we have plenty of graters but at prem level you need a bit of quality to so again been said so many times and dont envy being a manager its just getting the right balance.
              Yeah spot on.. that`s what I wanted to say.

Comment

I remember we tried that "keep the team spirit alive from our Championship squad" when we first went up to the Prem. If memory serves me right, we lost our first game 4-0 at home to Bolton of all teams. We just weren't good enough. And in case it escaped anyone's attention, we were cack last season and were lucky to go up, whereas the previous time we went up we had just ripped the Championship apart. If people really think the likes of Karl Henry, Clint Hill (as he now is), O'Neil etc will be anywhere near good enough in the Prem they are deluded. We often looked at best average in the Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                  I remember we tried that "keep the team spirit alive from our Championship squad" when we first went up to the Prem. If memory serves me right, we lost our first game 4-0 at home to Bolton of all teams. We just weren't good enough. And in case it escaped anyone's attention, we were cack last season and were lucky to go up, whereas the previous time we went up we had just ripped the Championship apart. If people really think the likes of Karl Henry, Clint Hill (as he now is), O'Neil etc will be anywhere near good enough in the Prem they are deluded. We often looked at best average in the Championship.
                  so what is your ball park figure as to how many players you would like to see us buy, what players do you have in mind?
                  LONDON CALLING TO THE ZOMBIES OF DEATH.... ALSO KNOW AS BRENTFORD FANS

Comment

IMO we have 6 or 7 players who from last year who can make the step up to first 11 in the prem plus a further 6 or 7 who make decent squad players.. So with that in mind we need a few players - we need some experience and quality - I reckon we need 8 or 9 new players. 4 or possibly 5 for the first 11 of decent quality and the rest to be good squad players.

We need to spend a good 30 mill in my opinion. With the 10 mill we will get from remy and maybe 5 for taraabt and other sales I think that more than a realistic amount to spend.

Comment

I would personally keep, maybe start but not all every game...
                      Green (but buy a good 2nd in times of need) Al Habsi is quality and sitting on Wigans bench.
                      Simpson, Chief, Dunne(for lesser or more important games, Not sure wich), Yun,
                      Hoilett, Phillips, Joey, Austin, Bobby (but kind of forget about him, coz of fitness, use him for last 30 mins when goals needed).
                      There are others that I would keep but not many ie Yossi, O`neil.
                      CB ST& CM are key to survival so would love to see Lampard, Lescott, Williams or alike then raid the championship for the rest we would need.
                      Maybe a proven prem goalscorer like Borini, Kenwyne Jones, or even a cheecy bid for someone like Michu or Long.

Comment

I dont recall anyone moaning about williams

A few doubt Ravel

Hooper has not proved anything so far so perfectly acceptable to raise an eyebrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Connell10 View Post
                          so what is your ball park figure as to how many players you would like to see us buy, what players do you have in mind?
                          I don't have a fixed number or even a list of players mate as its incredibly difficult and I have always tried to resist the temptation to lay into the club for transfers. But I wd have thought quite a few, unless the three or four that Harry talked about are of real quality (off the top of my head Lescott, Williams, Sidwell and Rhodes might give us a chance but I wd still question whether this wd give us enough in midfield and upfront). But equally if Tony turns round and says "I'm not going to risk wasting another fortune" I don't think any of us cd blame him. You?

Comment

Working...
                          X