Warnock recommends QPR to Rio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Del View Post
    Ironically it was from there it went downhill and Warnock couldnt buy a result then lost the dressing room.
    Do you know that for an absolute fact, or are you just speculating on rumours/hearsay/paper-talk?

Comment

I'm old enough to remember Frank McLintock and David Webb being our centre-backs at the end of their careers and us nearly winning the league ,the Chief alongside Rio next season would be awesome, if were weren't paying silly money (surely Rio has enough by now!)

Comment

Speaking to a contact at Wembley I'd say this story definitely has legs.

Comment

Originally posted by easthertsr View Post
          I'm old enough to remember Frank McLintock and David Webb being our centre-backs at the end of their careers and us nearly winning the league ,the Chief alongside Rio next season would be awesome, if were weren't paying silly money (surely Rio has enough by now!)
          But how often were they up against Luis Suarez??
          QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

Can see this happening, which is kind of worrying. Another freebie on high wages.

To be fair I'd rather have him partner Ned than Dunne or Hill, but we can do better than this if we're paying big wages.

Comment

I don't think we should worry about wages, Tony and partners have the final say and if they say we can afford it then fine...Age should also not be a concern ....Attitude is the main
              the main requirement that has to be right whoever we bring in, and 'arry will do a better job than Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley76 View Post
                Do you know that for an absolute fact, or are you just speculating on rumours/hearsay/paper-talk?
                No, as I wasn't in there, however, there was a lot of comments and reports after to suggest exactly that. Something had turned sour......

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
                  i wouldnt listen to the shyte advice that warnkock has given. look at the dross he signed when he was last in the prem league.

luke young,anton ferdinand,swp,bothroyd and campbell. lets not mention barton though as it was clear at the time that he was a fernandes marquee signing.

as for rio, no thanks, would rather dawson or caulker any day of the week
                  Bob Malcolm is better than Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by Connell10 View Post
                    no thanks, if we sign this kind of player we have learnt nothing!
                    This. A player who has won everything in a massive club and just waiting for a relaxed season here before retiring. No thanks.

Comment

I think we already have a lot of over 30's. We should start looking at younger players if we really wants to build something for the future. Ok, maybe he will be helpful in our first season, however will struggle to complete a full season.

Comment

Just remember we need a balanced squad...pointless having all young players. Thought the benefit of experience would've filtered through after last Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
                          There must be some rumblings behind the scene for all this talk to emerge.

If the deal works for both parties then i have no issue for a rolling 1 year contract. If fit, he eclipses any defenders we have even at 35, it's as simple as that.

But his back is a major concern, so why not a modest ish wage (by prem standards) but subsidised by a significant match bonus when he plays. If he stays fit, combined it would equate to a standard wage, but if he's regularly injured and doesnt play, our outlay and liability is reduced.

That said, if he is over the back issue now, the spin would be he's beeen used sparingly the last few years so has plenty of fuel in the tank to carry on another couple of years at least.... also the thing with clever CB's who read the game so well, they can play longer than the hard tackling equivelent. Rio is in the Baresi / Maldini mould and no reason he couldnt play as long as they did at a decent level.

The thought of Rio's nouse and Onouha's pace at CB is actually very appealing. Plus the likes of Onouha, Simpson and all the youngsters at the club could learn a load off him as he;s arguably the best defender this country has seen for years.
                          Excellent post Del. Aside from the injury aspect, my other concern with Rio would be that he actually wants to play for us and would give 100% because, as we all know, apathy can be infections. I have a feeling that Joey and Clint will ensure we have enthusiasm going forward though!
                          'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Has he got the hunger for a relegation fight? How many games will we get out of him? His back is apparently fooked and he's been on and off injured all last season. Not worth it in my opinion, he will want at least 70-100k a week. No doubt was world class back in his day but as joey said this can't be a place where good players come to die.

Comment

Another problem I see if HR wants to keep Hill and Dunne, personally don,t think Clint would want to embarrass himself in PL and will just retire to the coaching side. He's virtually admitted this himself, before anyone jumps down my throat. But if he does it will take up another place in a maximum squad of 25, so as much as experience is good it can also be costly, That's why a balanced is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley76 View Post
                                Speaking to a contact at Wembley I'd say this story definitely has legs.
                                Which is something that Rio has no longer got

Comment

Working...
                                X