Losing my religion # 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing my religion # 2

First time poster here, and some things I need to say to stop me going insane, just to check I’m not alone.

I’ve been a fan for many many years. Going to QPR was one of the best things in my life. Now I hate it, and I hate hating it. I want my old club back, the old feelings of excitement going to a match.

There’s a saying in football that players come and go, managers come and go, chairman come and go, but the fans never do. Well, they do actually. Yes, I know we’ve got a hardcore base of 10,000+ - but that base is forever evolving. So many fans have dropped out, and I’m surprised we can still get respectable gates considering the way things are going, but if things don’t improve the days of sub 10,000 gates at Loftus Road will be here again.

Things haven’t been the same for me since Ian Holloway ‘lost’ the dressing room around Xmas 2004. He lasted another year or so, but the rot had set it. A brief revival under Di Canio has been the only highlight in the last five years. The Briatore era should have been wonderful, and whilst we should forever be grateful for him saving the club going under, it is the only positive achievement to date. Everything he has done behind the scenes has ruined this club. He should have had more success with the investment on the playing side, but again his own involvement with team affairs has certainly undermined all his managers. Loftus Road was a far happier place to be when the club was skint.

I’ve now gone through the stage of being angry. My attendance at HQ has dwindled so much, it came to the point that I laughed at those who still went, all mug punters I thought. Not anymore. I am now upset. QPR has always been a huge part of my life and I don’t want to let it go like many have. I don’t want to be one of these fans to simply walk away from it all after suffering enough. My Saturday’s are miserable, whether I’m at a game or not. I want my old club back but know that it is a long way away, maybe out of sight.

Unless.

Hopefully soon Briatore will have had enough, and sell his shares to the Mittalls. Briatore has certainly got off lightly I feel. He has done more harm to this club than Richard Thompson ever did, yet no signs of any mass protests against him.

If Briatore were to depart, I believe a Director of Football should be brought in to sort out the mess behind the scenes. Paladini can pack his bags. It would have to be someone with past QPR connections. Gerry Francis for me would be that man.

Then we’d need to start getting the players to start wearing the badge with pride again – the talent is already there. Whether or not Magilton is that man remains to be seen, but let’s give him time. And I would hope one day we’ll soon see a settled side, a side that produces legends, legends alongside those of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. Hand on heart, how many players can honestly be labelled as legends from this decade? I don’t want to see two loanees up front for us on a match day. I want to see two idols.

My relationship with QPR I liken to that of having a wife suffering through illness after many happy and memorable years together. Though her life is not at risk, the quality of her life may worsen. Friends and family can’t bear to visit her, it’s just too painful. Her health may remain the same – nothing seems to have an affect to the frustration of all; or there is a chance she’ll pull through it and get back to her healthy days, making all her friends and family happy again.
    Last edited by irememberlesley; 15-09-2009, 10:22 AM.

Expect some stick for that... but not from me.

Well said mate.

Comment

Welcome to the board!

Great first post, I agree with a heck of a lot of that. And pretty much feel the same
      Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

I have to admit, I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I used to and felt that way for the best part of last season.

It used to make the hairs on the back of my next stand up when I marched into QBlock and started off a chant, now if I'm honest, I don't join in many chants, let alone start them. The fun has dissapeared on match day and if I'm being honest...I could almost very easilly be swayed away from LR on a Saturday to go out and enjoy an all day session with my mates or even to watch my little brother play instead. It's not even about the money for me anymore...I'm past the £5 per week rise...for me It's because I don't feel valued as a supporter, nor do I feel I'm getting what I deserve for my money.

I mean...when the #### am I ever going to see the lighting in C-Club?
        Your mum would love me...

Comment

Fantastic first post, well said, and i agree with pritty much everything you have said.

I would like to see Gerry Francis involved somewhere.
          Cant believe it, ive been PWOPER MUGGED ORF...

Comment

Terrific first post dont think your alone.

Welcome to the board
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/1882QP...5398272?ref=ts

Comment

Brilliant first post.Sad but true.
              It seems we may be coming to a majority view at last(I am sure Conners might disagree).
              We just want to get the passion back-we need some big characters in the boardroom,the dressing-room and on the pitch to instil some fighting spirit.When the fans see that-the atmosphere will return and the attendances will start climbing.

Comment

Spot on. After 36 years I really have to drag myself along these days. The 100 mile round trip has become a real chore (especially midweek) and the Saturdays when we're aware are far more enjoyable as I don't go and dodn't feel like I've wasted a weekend.

Really regret renewing again this season (despite promising never again) and never thought I'd ever admit to myself that I can take or leave Rangers. It's all become very dull.
                http://twitter.com/#!/superhoops10

Comment

Originally posted by stainrod10 View Post
                  Spot on. After 36 years I really have to drag myself along these days. The 100 mile round trip has become a real chore (especially midweek) and the Saturdays when we're aware are far more enjoyable as I don't go and dodn't feel like I've wasted a weekend.

Really regret renewing again this season (despite promising never again) and never thought I'd ever admit to myself that I can take or leave Rangers. It's all become very dull.
                  Echoed
                  Your mum would love me...

Comment

Originally posted by stainrod10 View Post

Ditto and I agree with the original post on the thread 100% especially the bit about W12 being a better place before the circus came to town.

Comment

great 1st post totally agree. and feel exactly the same

Comment

top first post....should be emailed to the club and put on the dressing room wall...boardroom wall....infact any wall where all at QPR can get the bloody message.

Comment

What makes you think Mittal / Amit will run the club any differently to Flavio?

Comment

Originally posted by EYR View Post
                            What makes you think Mittal / Amit will run the club any differently to Flavio?
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                            And who is to say that they would want to buy us if their mate(s) leave?????
                            God I miss cooke's pie & mash

Comment

Originally posted by irememberlesley View Post
                              I’ve now gone through the stage of being angry. My attendance at HQ has dwindled so much, it came to the point that I laughed at those who still went, all mug punters I thought. Not anymore. I am now upset. QPR has always been a huge part of my life and I don’t want to let it go like many have. I don’t want to be one of these fans to simply walk away from it all after suffering enough. My Saturday’s are miserable, whether I’m at a game or not. I want my old club back but know that it is a long way away, maybe out of sight.

Spot On ....your not alone fella ...I'm exactly the same ...been going to Rangers since my dad took me to my first game in 1978 (Bristol Rovers Home) ...had an ST for the last 5/6 years ever since I had to queue at ridiculous o'clock to get a Play-Off final ticket ...last year was a real struggle to afford one with the price hikes but I thought after all the years of ****e I'm not going to miss out on this and fell for Comical Ali's spin ...the summer came and went and we didn't really buy anyone ...and surprise surprise we came mid-table ...Norwich home was the final straw struggled to the ground up a packed A40 straight from work to watch that crap!

...so decided this year not to get an ST (couldn't afford it anyway) and decided to pick and choose ...well I haven't picked any games this year due to various reasons ...and can safely say as the results roll in I've found my decision justified and am glad I haven't wasted my hard earned! ...not very loyal I know ...but I've done my time home and away over 30 odd years supporting the hoops and am thouroughly disillusioned at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X