AJ as a winger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ as a winger

We need him on the pitch and he could be a good choice as winger in a 4-2-3-1 (or something like that...) formation. Intelligent, works hard, still has speed and can score goals. Better defensively than Hoilett and Phillips.
    Last edited by swede; 05-12-2013, 03:37 PM.

He's not a winger, but he plays the channels brilliantly. Could certainly play at the top of the diamond in a 4231 formation or on the left in the role which Niko has supposed to have played (no winger he....)

Comment

Not for me as thats playing him out of position. He is a front man and should play in that position; hes all about working the defenders and making life difficult I cannot see him going on a run like Phillips did as its not his game, also dont think his body is up to playing as an out and out winger

Play him up top

Comment

Plays as a winger anyway doesnt he? You only ever see him chasing balls down the channels. Do we need to have it on their shirts or tell the ref what actual name of the position the players are playing or something, cos i reckon hes a winger for us.

Comment

He certainly put a decent cross in for that first goal the other night!

Comment

who does he replace when he comes on usually? Its never austin our out and out striker is it. Winger now imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
              Plays as a winger anyway doesnt he? You only ever see him chasing balls down the channels. Do we need to have it on their shirts or tell the ref what actual name of the position the players are playing or something, cos i reckon hes a winger for us.
              AJ, I think, drifts wide both sides because he's playing off Austin. He doesn't stick to the left, certainly not in terms of tracking back the way the likes of Holliet does, but that's not to say he wouldn't do it if he played there. His strength is running into the channels to receive the ball there, not running with it having been given the ball in or near the half way line. Mind you, given that he puts in more decent crosses than either of our two wingers do (both of whom endlessly cut in; especially Holliet), its odd he isn't thought of as a winger... Funny game.

Comment

thought he looked very good on tuesday, his cross for austins goal was sublime.
                Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                Pawel Wszolek - 6
                Luke Freeman - 6
                Matt Smith - 6
                Ebere Eze - 4
                Joel Lynch - 3
                Tomer Hemed - 3
                Toni Leistner - 2
                Massimo Luongo- 2
                Angel Rangel - 2
                Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                Geoff Cameron - 1
                Aramide Oteh - 1
                Jake Bidwell - 1
                Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

defo a better side with him on the pitch . tireless worker

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                    We need him on the pitch and he could be a good choice as winger in a 4-2-3-1 (or something like that...) formation. Intelligent, works hard, still has speed and can score goals. Better defensively than Hoilett and Phillips.
                    do you mean play AJ on the wing instead of one of the wingers

Carroll
                    MP Gaz Barton AJ
                    Austin

(or JH in place of MP - same difference)

Comment

With the amount of "talented" midfielder's we've got I'm struggling to believe that we need to play a striker out of position because none of our midfielder's can play/switch into that position to put a decent ball into the box....
                      SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

Originally posted by zeberdee View Post
                        do you mean play AJ on the wing instead of one of the wingers

Carroll
                        MP Gaz Barton AJ
                        Austin

(or JH in place of MP - same difference)
                        Yes, I believe we are a better side with him in the team and he could be more useful in that role.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                          Yes, I believe we are a better side with him in the team and he could be more useful in that role.
                          Well even though there are two strikers that line up is really still the 451/433 just with different personnel because AJ might do better than a winger as you say. But yeah I think it looks to have a better balance than 2 strikers + 2 wingers and AJ is a very good player too.

Comment

Thought the strikers and wingers struggled in the "attacking" 442 at the weekend

but I reckon AJ is worth a shot in a 433 on the left as a winger/striker with Phillips doing the same on the other side - would carry more threat and do less hoofing:

---------Green-----------
                            Simpson-Dunne-Hill-Ekotto
                            --------Carroll----------
                            ------Barton O'Neil------
                            ---MP---------------AJ---
                            ---------Austin----------

Comment

Swap oneil for benny yoon and i think thats the team.

Comment

Working...
                              X