No announcement yet.

Tom Carroll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought he was poor along with Faurlin in the 1st half both gave the ball away far too much, Faurlin got better 2nd half when played a little bit further up the pitch but sorry jury still out on Carroll got a bit better still seems to lightweight seems to want to do too much, should just stick to playing easy balls?

Comment

I thought he looked lively, but some of his passes were shocking! I'm sure he'll improve.

Comment

Looks a little out of his depth at this level, can't help but think we have got players in our own youth team that could do better than him.

Comment

Originally posted by moon_safari View Post
          I'm flabbergasted the boy was stunning today and will only get better, was willing to receive the ball in every position on the pitch helping the defence by giving them an out instead of going long.
          He tracked players and made positions to have a crack on goal.
          He did give the ball away a bit but probably received the ball more than any other so probably highlight more.
          The boy is class and will play for England one day
          Agree Moony, other players gave the ball away but no one mentions it, however Carroll gets highlighted. The fact he had the ball proportionately more than others then the ratio of losing it probably is even.
          The bigger picture though is we have been fed on loan and non loan signings of players that are mainly rubbish, injured, ball shy, lazy, disruptive, egotistical ....and suddenly we have a player that's lively, played well, other players respond well to and is part of a winning team and suddenly that's not good enough.
          On Faurlin, great player inside him but tries far to hard, needs to relax and play his natural game.

Comment

I don't think it helps Carroll's cause when people tell blatant lies about his contribution to the team. One poster who was at the game claims Carroll's pass completion rate was 30% when it was 86%. Then you get others who totally agree with this assessment.

If that kind of lie is told often enough a lot of people will start to believe it and begin hounding the boy. Totally unfair.

He's a young lad making his way in the world of football and needs time to settle in. Harry thinks he's worth playing and that's good enough for me.
            Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Haven't read this thread can't be arsed but my tuppence worth.

Very good feet, makes lots of sensible short passes & always wants the ball. On the negative side needs to concentrate more, gave away 2-3 balls yesterday by simply not looking up before passing although on two occasions after losing possession he fought very hard to win back the ball successfully and also for me he's being played too far back. I'd like to see him right up sitting behind Austin threading balls through to him not getting involved in battles in the centre of midfield as he's to lightweight. Will come good for sure he has clear quality.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR Richard View Post
                I don't think it helps Carroll's cause when people tell blatant lies about his contribution to the team. One poster who was at the game claims Carroll's pass completion rate was 30% when it was 86%. Then you get others who totally agree with this assessment.

If that kind of lie is told often enough a lot of people will start to believe it and begin hounding the boy. Totally unfair.

He's a young lad making his way in the world of football and needs time to settle in. Harry thinks he's worth playing and that's good enough for me.
                A good post but my take on what has been said on this thread is that to me sitting in the stands I thought his passing was shocking first half and in particular the first 15mins, as was Faurlins. When people say 30% its an off the cuff comment to emphasis their view. 86% is a fantastic percentage for pass rate completion but we cannot simply look at the rate as we surely we need to question how effective 86% of those passes were; were any of them telling, did they open up the opposition or was it pretty safe passes backwards and sideways which do not penetrate the opposition (applies to all players not just Carroll)

We need to be careful we do not turn into hypocrites as we have had many discussions on here about Swansea passing backwards and criticising there pass completion rate saying they don't go anywhere but now its us playing that way and if we use Carroll as an example its ok and must be defended. I like the kid and think he will improve but surely its better to have a lower pass percentage and pass forward trying to influence the game rather then a high one which looks amazing on paper but actually does little to assist the team??????

Comment

I would add Granero never gave the ball away much but hes not rated by many on the board played very much how Carroll does so why is one given no defence

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                    I would add Granero never gave the ball away much but hes not rated by many on the board played very much how Carroll does so why is one given no defence
                    For me Carroll LOOKS like he's trying his nuts off & always wanting whereas Granero just used to stroll around never busting a gut. Only time I used to see him trying really hard was to take the ball of people to take free kicks.

Let's also not forget Granero came from Real Madrid where he had vast experience & played & was coached by some of the best in the world so big things were expected of him & Carroll has come through the Spurs youth side, hardly any experience, very low amount of playing time & much younger than Granero so loads of time to improve & adapt his game.

Comment

A good post but my take on what has been said on this thread is that to me sitting in the stands I thought his passing was shocking first half and in particular the first 15mins, as was Faurlins. When people say 30% its an off the cuff comment to emphasis their view. 86% is a fantastic percentage for pass rate completion but we cannot simply look at the rate as we surely we need to question how effective 86% of those passes were; were any of them telling, did they open up the opposition or was it pretty safe passes backwards and sideways which do not penetrate the opposition (applies to all players not just Carroll)

We need to be careful we do not turn into hypocrites as we have had many discussions on here about Swansea passing backwards and criticising there pass completion rate saying they don't go anywhere but now its us playing that way and if we use Carroll as an example its ok and must be defended. I like the kid and think he will improve but surely its better to have a lower pass percentage and pass forward trying to influence the game rather then a high one which looks amazing on paper but actually does little to assist the team??????
                      To be fair to Carroll, whether the passes were back, forward or sideways, it's about keeping possession and someone finding the killer ball at some point. It forces other teams to chase the ball around the pitch while we control the game.

We used to be a great passing team and I'm happy for us to be so again.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR Richard View Post
                        To be fair to Carroll, whether the passes were back, forward or sideways, it's about keeping possession and someone finding the killer ball at some point. It forces other teams to chase the ball around the pitch while we control the game.

We used to be a great passing team and I'm happy for us to be so again.
                        Concur mate but as a team up until yesterday we seem to have adopted the backwards sideways backwards style from the off (Im not actually complaining as have no problem winning ugly) but for me surely the time to play possession football is once you have got your noses in front as by playing it from the off your restricting your chances in my view

On Carroll as said before I think there is a player in him and if he could pick his head up and starting picking passes going forward which open defences up then we have a player on our hands. Im sure that part of his game will come with both experience and confidence, hence why he is on loan with us. I thought Middlesbrough were unkind to him yesterday and tried roughing him up but in fairness he kept his head

Comment

Thought joey Essex Carroll did ok, I thought faurlin was a shadow of his former self. Nicky jamjar and Barton bossed the midfield. I'm sure that with performers like that around him he can only learn. He'll probably be really good by the end of the season

Comment

Concur mate but as a team up until yesterday we seem to have adopted the backwards sideways backwards style from the off (Im not actually complaining as have no problem winning ugly) but for me surely the time to play possession football is once you have got your noses in front as by playing it from the off your restricting your chances in my view

On Carroll as said before I think there is a player in him and if he could pick his head up and starting picking passes going forward which open defences up then we have a player on our hands. Im sure that part of his game will come with both experience and confidence, hence why he is on loan with us. I thought Middlesbrough were unkind to him yesterday and tried roughing him up but in fairness he kept his head
                            My view is if you haven't got the ball you can't score goals, and if you allow the opposition to have more of the ball obviously they will create more opportunities. That's why I advocate as much possession as possible.

The great Liverpool team of the 70s/80s was probably the best example of this. So was the great Dutch side of the 70s. I'm of course not comparing us to them, but I believe if you have the ball for the vast majority of the game, you control what happens and it forces the opposition having to chase it, therefore leaving plenty of space for our midfield and forwards to exploit.

I'd much rather us play the ball backwards or sidewards and retain possession, rather than take risks and lose the ball. If you can't get the ball into the danger areas one way, you hang onto it and try another.

Comment

Gave the ball away in dangerous areas that could of cost us a goal. He works hard and you can see he's going to be a player but I'd rather we played our own players instead of blooding spurs youngsters. Jenas must be wondering why he bothered coming here.

Comment

Originally posted by supahoopsaaa View Post
                                Gave the ball away in dangerous areas that could of cost us a goal. He works hard and you can see he's going to be a player but I'd rather we played our own players instead of blooding spurs youngsters. Jenas must be wondering why he bothered coming here.
                                Agree with that

Comment

Working...
                                X